4x4 mode , Turning issue

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

4x4 mode , Turning issue

Postby enis.ibrahim on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 9:39 +0000

Hello fellas!

I have a 2007 Dual Cab hilux.

Recently I went 4wding in the wombat state forest and when I engage Hi 4 or 4x4 mode , it's really difficult to turn. Is this normal or would you say there is an issue with the diff or cvs?

I remember a year back, I was accidently driving with 4x4 mode on the bitumen for a good 5 kms, I've heard that driving with 4x4 on the bitumen causes issues with the axles looking up.

Also when driving in 4x2 mode on wet roads , every corner feels like I'm sliding out . Thus when I tried 4x4 on the road the grip was there on every corner?.Is it okay to ocassionaly use 4x4 on wet bitumen at high speed?.
I have searched on the forums and can't find an answer for this.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thank you

Dennis
2007 Hilux D4D SR5 DUAL CAB BLACK
Mods never end! Cant stop thinking about whats next! Never satisfied with what we have haha
enis.ibrahim

Re: 4x4 mode , Turning issue

Postby Gipsy on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 9:58 +0000

Dennis, never never drive on bitumin in 4x4, your vehicle is not equipped with a center diff like Prado's and land cruiser. When you select 4x4 hi or lo the transfer case locks the front to the rear drive (for simplicity) and the wheels different speeds can/will cause a lock situation which can destroy your drive line immediately!

So NO No! Don't use 4x4 unless the surface you are driving on allows the tyres to slip! Otherwise you will be up for some very expensive repairs.

If you want to do this you should have bought a 'constant 4x4' or all wheel drive (AWD) like a Prado or land cruiser.

If your vehicle is'sliding out' on corners in the wet you are driving too fast! Maybe if you wanted to do this you should get a wrx or similar!
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby hiluxxury on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 11:23 +0000

Plenty of info on the web - this link is a simple but good start.

Keep in mind your vehicle is a part-time 4wd, it doesn't have a centre diff and hence the wind-up you are experiencing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhTVQh7bFtw
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby enis.ibrahim on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 12:32 +0000

Thank you for your replies.

I will definetly stop driving with 4x4 on bitumen.

I did some research as you suggested on 'wind up' and now understand why cornering is a big issue, I'm lucky I haven't done major damage.Silly me for using it without knowledge.

In regards to my car sliding out, even when I go fairly slow I still seem to lose traction.The tyres have 80% thread left on them and i always take off as slow as I can. Once I took off at a round about in the rain and I swerved into two lanes before making it straight again. I had this car since 2010 from my father and we never had an issue with this until now.

I have 265 15 65 on atm and my psi is set at 35 all tyres. Is this normal?.Or should I deflate/inflate.

Thanks
Mods never end! Cant stop thinking about whats next! Never satisfied with what we have haha
enis.ibrahim

Postby Gipsy on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 12:37 +0000

Tyre pressures seems OK but remember you are driving a Ute, presumedly without anything in the tray to balance the load, the rear will slide because there is no load. If you have something in the tray you would notice the difference.

If your father didn't have a problem maybe you can drive like him for a while to see the difference ;)

Also the low speed torque of the diesel tends to make them slide if you give too much throttle in the wet.

Later models have traction control to fix this problem.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby HK1837 on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 1:14 +0000

My 2010 and 2011 V6 auto 4x4's ALWAYS have had the "slippery when wet" rear end, especially when they had the woeful original fitment tyres on them. Now I know it is coming and are ready for it. With the supercharger it isn't as bad as it used to be as it doesn't kick back 2-3 gears like it used to on acceleration - now it just uses its torque and stays in the one gear. Tyre selection can be a big factor too, some are far better in the wet than others - some are like being on ice (like Mickey Thompson mud tyres disguised as AT's). Others seem to hang on well like Toyos and Yokohamas. Most are bad once you get below 40% tread on the rear.
HK1837

Postby aedeau on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 7:58 +0000

HK1837 wrote:Tyre selection can be a big factor too, some are far better in the wet than others - some are like being on ice (like Mickey Thompson mud tyres disguised as AT's).

I have Mickey Thompson ATZ P3s which are a more aggressive AT (possibly the muddies disguised as ATs you're referring to) and they're pretty average in the wet. Very slippery at roundabouts and when taking off at red lights on a slight incline if the road is even only slightly damp. My car is only 2 months old and the tyres have 4000kms on them, so tread is close to 100%
aedeau

Postby Gipsy on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 8:10 +0000

Just like nobbies on a dirt bike, great in the mud, death on tarmac!
Gipsy

Postby enis.ibrahim on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 10:27 +0000

Thanks for the advice guys!

It's true any ute is going to slide out when it's wet and you give it some power.

Looks like I'll need to drive like a grandpa in the wet :(

I think the reason why it slides out alot more now than it ever did is because of the following. 1.Unichip : More instant throttle response and power. 2.New comfort suspension in rear. 3.The front has a bullbar+winch compared to the near empty tub.I will definetly try to put some weight in the back and see if that helps.

I have to admit though it's kinda fun in the open paddock , flooring the lux side to side :P.

Once again ,

Thanks for the responses. Glad to see I'm not the only sliding lux.
enis.ibrahim

Return to Drive Train Components