Two lockers v One

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Two lockers v One

Postby Boggedhilux on Sun, 09 Jul 2017 7:51 +0000

Hi guys,

First time poster long time reader.
I will start by saying i have read all the posts i could find on lockers.

I've booked in an install for a rear locker for my 2012 hilux and am wondering how many people have felt the need to upgrade to a front locker (Or vice versa) or have felt that the one locker was suffice. Obviously two lockers would be ideal but how often are you actually in a position forced to use or wish you had the 2nd locker?

Thanks for the help in advance!
Boggedhilux

Re: Two lockers v One

Postby dave g on Sun, 09 Jul 2017 8:42 +0000

2 lockers make it a lot easier on the car
Had 2 lockers in the last two cars and only broken 1 front axel in 25+ years. That was in 07 from to much right foot at the wrong time.
dave g

Postby ktm300 on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 4:48 +0000

Two lockers and you should walk up or through most things .

As above go easy on the right foot and you'll love having both locked .
ktm300

Postby hartster on Mon, 21 Aug 2017 11:01 +0000

I have two Air Lockers on my Hilux, fitted when new straight out of the dealer.

It is close to unstoppable. Low 1 or 2 and slow and you'll walk up almost all surfaces with ease. Combined with correct tyre pressure and sensible sized tyres (not silly wide ones) you'll be amazed what it can do.

In 2015, was unlucky to pick up the tail of a tour group doing the Billy Goats Bluff track. All blinged up Melbourne city types in Fords and Mazdas and a couple of Amaroks. When we got up onto the bench where they were all parked, we copped a lot of ooohhh new Hilux, low clearance, low nM, low kW, oooohh are those tyres a bit small, oooohhh the Hilux isn't what it used to be. Offensive it was. They didn't mean to be, they just didn't know what the f^ck they were talking about.

Had to wait at each steep section for the unlocked to flog their vehicles way too hard to get up the loose sh1t, including the tour leader in his 75 Troopy. Even those with rear lockers only were struggling (Rangers, BT50s) as the front ends were hooning around left to right as zthe fronts slipped, tearing up the track as they over revved. Horrible to watch. They didn't have a clue.

We walked up with ease and eventually ordered them to let us past as they were wrecking the track and holding us up.

We drove by and up a particularly steep loose section in low 1, slower than walking pace, elbow out the window, kids waving goodbye to the poor blinged up city folk.

Two lockers mate. Low and slow, can't be beat. I use mine together all the time as a defensive tactic, i.e. lock up whether I might need it or not, that way I avoid trouble as much as possible.
2013 Hilux KUN26R DC, 2010 Kluger GSU45R, 2006 Prado GRJ120R, 1993 Hilux VZN130R
hartster

Postby Plumb Perfect on Mon, 21 Aug 2017 4:38 +0000

I had a new e locker put in about a week ago but haven't had a chance get out on the tracks yet.
I did however find myself a steep grass embankment to try it out.
Basically drove the car up slowly on a steep angle in 4WD until the diffs opened and wasn't going anywhere. Clicked the locker on and it walked up. Did it a few times just to justify the cost of the locker and make me feel good [emoji16] haha

Even with the limited testing (so far) that I've had, I can tell you that the difference just with a rear locker is Day and night. I'm already very satisfied with it just from that little test.
Im sure that's what you wanted to hear!

In regards to the front, I'd agree with the guys and have both if I could. Comes down to the dollars I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plumb Perfect

Postby Critter350 on Tue, 22 Aug 2017 7:25 +0000

Over the weekend in some Dunes around Preston beach, found myself in a tight spot that was pushing the limits of my approach and departure angles, at the same time. Already had the rear locker on but stopped moving. Front locked in and low range, climbed straight out.

Cheers
Crit
Critter350

Postby Boggedhilux on Wed, 23 Aug 2017 3:53 +0000

Yeah cheers guys. I actually ended up getting the rear installed a couple of weeks ago- i only booked in the rear at the time and called a day or so after to get the front done aswell but he was too busy. As the price was the same regardless of if i did both at the same time or not i decided not to reschedule for both lockers. ($1390 for rear, $1490 for front and $320 for compressor)

Im still contemplating getting the front done just measuring how much 4wding time il actually be doing in the future. The rear has definately helped massively not only with what it has actually done, but also the confidence knowing a switch will more than likely pull me up- the front from what most of you guys say and vids on youtube will make the car unstoppable.

Il keep 4wding and see how it goes- would LOVE to get the front done but would hate to be looking at the switch with regret from lack of use (Family commitments in the future making 4wding a bit harder to do) with potentially only needing it a handfull of times that i could have winched out.
Boggedhilux

Return to Drive Train Components