Stuffed Diff & Stability Control/YAW Sensor problems

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Stuffed Diff & Stability Control/YAW Sensor problems

Postby dhuds on Tue, 20 Jun 2017 4:54 +0000

So I got the bad news from mechanic today that the issues I was having with 4WD was because there was water in the front diff and need a new one. Apparently got in through some leaky diff oil seals. Has anyone else had this issue? The breather is up in the engine bay and I know I haven't gone through any water that deep.

But he also mentioned that he can't clear a fault code to do with the YAW sensor. He mentioned that it could be to do with the stability control. I remember the light flashing a few times when I first bought the car as the tyres were bald and slipped around a bit. But since I got new tyres it never flashed up again. The button to turn it on and off doesn't seem to do anything either.. doesn't matter if I hold it down or just press it. I did a bit of a search and there isn't much info on the topic. Would anyone know what could cause the issue? Toyota quoted $1200.00 for a replacement YAW sensor but said they have never sold one before.
dhuds

Re: Stuffed Diff & Stability Control/YAW Sensor problems

Postby Ozwaz on Tue, 20 Jun 2017 5:31 +0000

Try taking the switch out of the equation.
Ozwaz

Postby Torsion on Tue, 20 Jun 2017 7:16 +0000

Many times, especially when Ive been driving though water when off road.
Water can enter diff's through the axle seals easier than people think, even when you have diff breather.
You mention a leaking seal, that would be a axle seal and if leaking would allow water in much easier.

The best solution is regular maintenance & checking for oil leaks around the seals (very visible) & regularly replace your diff oils after driving through water.
Torsion

Postby dhuds on Thu, 22 Jun 2017 2:56 +0000

Thanks for the answers guys.

I have a mate who will sell me a second hand front diff. Its from a 2008 SR5. Would this fit my 2012 SR? They both have ADD.
dhuds

Return to Drive Train Components