Rotating Clunking Noise

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Rotating Clunking Noise

Postby Jerry27 on Sat, 20 May 2017 3:46 +0000

Hello fellow hilux owners,

The time has come again when my lemon of a ute has decided to throw another fast ball at me. I have ferociously searched every corner of the internet since inspecting it (truck mechanic by trade).

So a basic rundown is I have a wonderful clunk noise in the front end of my hilux, right/center of the vehicle. As with all wonderful problems its rotational. From crawl through to 100 (if you're brave enough), speeds up as the ute speeds up. Clunk can clearly be heard, can also be felt through cab floor, throttle, steering and just to make things tricky it is horrid through the brake pedal. As it clunks, if you brake you can actually feel the brake pedal give and push it, then back out. Similar to if a rotor was put of round but on a grand scale.

So, the inspection:
Front Uni Joints: Ok
Front Tailshaft Slip Joint: Ok
Front CV's: Right side failed, replaced
Wheel Bearings: Right out of spec, replaced
Tyre: Ok
Tie Rod Ends and Rack ends: Ok
Struts: Ok
UCA Mountings: Ok
LCA Mountings: Ok
Balljoints: Right Upper, 1mm movement, replaced
Brake Rotors: Within Specs
Brake Calipers: Ok
Spindle condition: Ok
Rear Uni Joints: Ok
Rear Tailshaft Slip Joint: Ok
Diff and Transfer Yokes: Ok
Master Cylinder Mounting: Ok
Vacuum Booster Mounting: Ok

So, I'm starting to wonder about my diff internals. Has anyone had a drama similar or anything else for me to check? Its quite a bad clunk so trying to avoid driving it at the moment. But anyway, any help would be appreciated. Even just words of comfort.

Cheers, Jesse

2008 Toyota Hilux SR 4x4 Dualcab
Jerry27

Re: Rotating Clunking Noise

Postby TOYZX on Sat, 20 May 2017 5:31 +0000

No good man sounds like you have a nasty one to find! Mite be a long shot but years ago I was working on a quad bike that had a locked front wheel. Wheel was locked cos of a torn cv boot and the joint was just packed full of crap. Once cleaned out and tho the joint was badly worn( customer didn't want to replace it!) It went back in. Joint felt ok on the bech but under load it would clunk and sometimes lock the wheel up again. You could then run it backwards to free it up and go again. The guy had no choice but to replace it. Being on a 4wd and have way more weight it probably wouldn't be able to lock a wheel but could definitely make noise.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Return to Drive Train Components