Warning Autos - Only drive in 3rd while towing.

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Warning Autos - Only drive in 3rd while towing.

Postby Fedorgnp on Mon, 02 Jan 2017 6:05 +0000

Gipsy are you sure you dont work for Toyota. I think Toyota should educate people when buying thier Hilux's. I told the salesmans what i needed it for and he did not mention anything about how poorly the hilux would tow. Even when i got it serviced by toyota, i told the mechanics the A/T light came on while towing and they still said nothing except thats the first they have ever heard of it.) I read the manual and its up to interpretation. It should clearly state. (Do not drive in D while towing. You must rev your motors balls out in 3rd if you want to tow)
Fedorgnp

Postby cmilton54 on Mon, 02 Jan 2017 8:08 +0000

davo94 wrote:Get the biggest oil cooler you can get. Plumb it up like a prado so that the new oil cooler is befor the factory one and the most important tip is use your brain. Spend lots of tine researching the effects on oil temp on transmission life. Service the auto even tho toyo say not to.

Davo 94
The main cooler for the trans is in the radiator. I fit my cooler after that so the cooler oil is then returned to the transmission. I also use a Derale thermostat tap in line, so that the trans oil does not go through the cooler till it is up to temp. Allows for quicker transmission warm up time. The Derale valve lets about 5% oil through when closed to stop pipe hammer ect when shut. I also have a electric fan backup on my trans cooler.
Charlie
cmilton54

Postby Gipsy on Tue, 03 Jan 2017 11:07 +0000

Fedorgnp wrote:Gipsy are you sure you dont work for Toyota. I think Toyota should educate people when buying thier Hilux's. I told the salesmans what i needed it for and he did not mention anything about how poorly the hilux would tow. Even when i got it serviced by toyota, i told the mechanics the A/T light came on while towing and they still said nothing except thats the first they have ever heard of it.) I read the manual and its up to interpretation. It should clearly state. (Do not drive in D while towing. You must rev your motors balls out in 3rd if you want to tow)

Salesman?? There's your problem... They just want to sell something, not tell you the failings, if the lux doesn't do it you need a cruiser ;)
Nope I don't work for Toyota... In fact I don't work at all, just have 55years of engineering and a bit of logic coupled with 50 years of towing 2+ tonne caravans. Yes Toyota should tell you but that might expose the weaknesses of the lux... I tow 2.5 tonne everywhere and don't rev the tits off at 110 kmh in 3rd, so what speed are you doing to rev the tits? :lol: er sorry balls ;)

By the way, my 2013 lux tows like a train and far better than the 80 series 1hdt turbo 6cyl I had previously :?

If your at light came on maybe you were asking a bit much... Throttle on a diesel doesn't work like a petrol engine, suggest you back off a bit under load rather than putting the boot in, there is a lot of technology in there that runs the engine and full load full throttle doesn't work on a diesel... Talk to a truckie next time you see one, they hardly ever use full throttle even as they overtake you at 120kph. :shock: feed it in gently and find the sweet spot by backing off as you go ;)
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby _Munners_ on Mon, 06 Feb 2017 10:29 +0000

Hi all,

I have a 2009 Toyota Hilux SR5 (4x4 AT 3.0TD). On paper it looks OK to do the following but want real-world answers.

I want to buy a Goldstream cmaper trailer and need to know if the lux can tow it without issue and without weight distribution hitch.

Camper trailer is GVM 1420kg (TARE 1260kg) and has a Hyland hitch.
_Munners_

Postby ktm300 on Mon, 06 Feb 2017 12:51 +0000

_Munners_ wrote:Hi all,

I have a 2009 Toyota Hilux SR5 (4x4 AT 3.0TD). On paper it looks OK to do the following but want real-world answers.

I want to buy a Goldstream cmaper trailer and need to know if the lux can tow it without issue and without weight distribution hitch.

Camper trailer is GVM 1420kg (TARE 1260kg) and has a Hyland hitch.

Fit a auto trans cooler and a scan gauge to monitor temps .
The gauge helps you to decide in what gear to use as the temps rise you know your in the wrong gear .
ktm300

Postby vincentvega on Mon, 06 Feb 2017 8:00 +0000

are there any scanguages that do trans temp for the 4 speed autos?
vincentvega

Postby fracturedranga on Mon, 06 Feb 2017 9:36 +0000

I got a redarc guage that does trans oil and coolant temps. Trans temp i just unscrewed the stock sensor and put in the redarc one. Asked the local toyota head tech and he said the stock one only activates the dash warning light. Been in for 2 years with no dramas. And youd be surprised just how hot your trans fluid gets towing i have a big trans cooler and shift kitted auto and can still easy hit 120c if i flog it.
fracturedranga

Postby ktm300 on Tue, 07 Feb 2017 4:01 +0000

vincentvega wrote:are there any scanguages that do trans temp for the 4 speed autos?

Yes .
ktm300

Postby vincentvega on Tue, 07 Feb 2017 11:25 +0000

ktm300 wrote:
vincentvega wrote:are there any scanguages that do trans temp for the 4 speed autos?

Yes .

Care to elaborate?
vincentvega

Postby martynvella on Tue, 07 Feb 2017 1:10 +0000

This is some info I was sent by the tech help guys at penrite.....

The next time you check the fluid level in an automatic, sniff the fluid on the end of the dip stick. If it smells like burned toast and/or has a discoloured brown appearance, the fluid has cooked itself and is no longer capable of providing proper lubrication to the transmission. If you're lucky, you may have caught the problem before serious damage has been done -- but more often than not by the time the fried fluid is discovered, the transmission is also toast. Compared to motor oil, ATF has life pretty easy. There's no soot, petrol or condensation from combustion blow-by to contaminate the fluid. The only physical contaminants the fluid must deal with are particles that wear off the friction plates, gears and bearings inside the transmission. Most transmissions have some type of internal filter to keep the fluid clean. Some do a good job, but others don't. Most Asian transmissions only have a plastic or metal strainer that can only trap the larger pieces of debris; the rest circulates with the fluid and accelerates wear. Changing the fluid is the only way to get rid of these contaminants.

Heat is the main concern for ATF. Automatic transmissions create a lot of friction, and friction produces heat. The fluid is constantly churning inside the torque converter and being pumped through metering orifices and hydraulic circuits. Every time the transmission shifts gears, the clutch packs generate even more heat that must be carried away by the fluid. The greater the load on the transmission, the more heat it generates and the hotter the fluid gets. Most ATF can withstand normal operating temperatures of around 90C for tens of thousands of kilometres. But if the temperature of the fluid rises above about 104C (220 degrees F) the fluid starts to break down quickly. Above 150C, fluid life is measured in hundreds, not thousands of kilometres. Above 200C, the fluid can self-destruct in 20 to 30 minutes!

ATF contains ingredients to improve its oxidation stability as well as other additives to reduce foaming and inhibit corrosion. Over time, the protective additives can also break down causing the fluid's lubrication properties and viscosity to change for the worse. That's why fluid breakdown is the leading cause of transmission operating problems and failure. Most experts still recommend changing the fluid and filter every 2 to 3 years or 24,000 (~38500 km) to 36,000 miles (~58000 km) -- or once a year or every 20,000 miles (~32000 km) if a vehicle is used for towing or other severe service use.

Disturbing isn't it. What temp it the trans temp warning light set at?
martynvella

Postby ktm300 on Tue, 07 Feb 2017 6:16 +0000

vincentvega wrote:
ktm300 wrote:

Yes .

Care to elaborate?

I think I had a scan gauge 2 it was some time ago I purchased it but I will say all the info I needed was from this forum .
ktm300

Postby taresk on Wed, 08 Feb 2017 6:47 +0000

I was always told the reason you shouldn't tow in overdrive on manuals was that the overdrive cog had the least working surface area making it the weakest gear.

I assume the autos have the same weakness, but they also have to deal with overheating if the torque converter won't stay locked.

A temp gauge really is a necessity if you're towing in an auto, a lock-up kit wouldn't hurt either.
taresk

Postby Genetk44 on Wed, 08 Feb 2017 10:03 +0000

Wow!!! Glad I found this forum and this thread...just in time. I'll be towing a boat and trailer with my 2016 Hilux for the first time the day after tomorrow. Fortunately its only about a 10 mile tow,roundtrip, one steep hill of about 600 ft. Glad to gind out that I need to do it in 3rd rather than D. Thanks guys!!

Gene
Genetk44

Postby _Munners_ on Wed, 05 Apr 2017 2:07 +0000

I heard there were two Trans Cooler types. I think it referred to inline and parallel (I may be wrong). Was there a preferred one? IIRC it was mentioned to NOT use a particular one.

So the best solutions mentioned so far are:-
- Fit a ScanGauge II (X-Gauge - is this just a program thing or physical)
+ fit a Tranny Cooler - but which one for a D4D 4wd 3.0 Diesel Auto (in-line/bypass; size).

Just to note, my trans fluid smells and looks not too bad. And never had Trans warning come on (but from what I've read, you are already cooking the fluid if it does.
_Munners_

Postby fracturedranga on Wed, 05 Apr 2017 3:43 +0000

Theres 2 ways to instal it. Bypass the radiator cooler or instal it inline with it. I installed mine inline. As for what one to get just get the biggest one you can fit. I got a craig davies one from repco, the biggest one they had in stock. It said for a v8 on thr box. Instructions came in the kit and was easy to instal.
I have a redarc trans temp guage and put the sender in the trans pan where the stock one normally goes, the stoxk one is only used for the dash warning light so its just zip tied on top on the trans. Been in for over a year wothout an issue. My trans temps sit at around 70c normally with the torque coverter locked and rarely get above 90c when unlocked and working hard. If i flog it up a big hill with a trailer on the back i can get it over 100c but thats floggimg it and you just back off and it cools down quick.
I also have a shift kit in mine and a manual lock up switch
fracturedranga

Postby vincentvega on Wed, 05 Apr 2017 9:55 +0000

i have the radiator bypassed and run 2 large coolers in series. In Brisbane's climate there is no such thing as overcooling..

I have always bypassed the radiator with my autos. no point introducing heat into the system. Only downside is it sometimes takes a few minutes for the box to warm up.
vincentvega

Postby _Munners_ on Fri, 21 Apr 2017 7:23 +0000

I'm confused by ScanGauges website. Is the SCANGAUGE II able to monitor Tranny Temp on a 09 Hilux D4D 1KD-FTV (KUN26R) or not? Seems a lot of if's/buts
_Munners_

Postby DeadlyBeast on Fri, 21 Apr 2017 11:21 +0000

Last time I checked no.
Scangauge can only monitor 5 speed auto Hilux... unless someone has found the code for 4 speed in the past few years.
DeadlyBeast

Postby vincentvega on Fri, 21 Apr 2017 12:04 +0000

i think no also. as far as I can tell you cant use a scanguague to monitor trans temp on a pre facelift (up to 2010) 4 speed auto. I think fracturedranga's solution is the way to go for pre facelift cars.

I have been told a few times it can be done, but nobody ever backs that up with the details on how to do it.
vincentvega

Postby fracturedranga on Fri, 21 Apr 2017 3:13 +0000

I was told by a tech at toyota that in my (2012) lux the trans temp sensor just turns on the dash warning light i dont think it goes to the ecu at all so i doubt a scanguage will be able to read it. I wasnt shown anything to back up whatbold mate said bit he seemed confident. Mines been out for years with no issue
fracturedranga

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components