How Many Km's Are too Many?

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: How Many Km's Are too Many?

Postby ajh on Tue, 02 Apr 2013 7:07 +0000

My mate has a 1993 diesel with aftermarket turbo, it's got 300'000kms and its still going strong.
ajh

Postby jimO on Wed, 03 Apr 2013 2:38 +0000

goons wrote:
Geez, 60 k and not once filling up anywhere else. Impressive.

well obviously when i was away at xmas i filled up at other BPs but the rest of the time i used the BP that was close to me as i have a BP fuel card and seeing as the injectors were replaced mid year then for at least 5 months the fuel came from that 1 BP, not everybody spends their life roaming the aussie outback in a jacked up hilux filling up at dodgy hick town garages
jimO

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 03 Apr 2013 4:22 +0000

How many kilometres are too many?

Its like asking, How many wives are too many?

Its only too many once issues start appearing...while its smooth sailing, enjoy it. :lol: :roll:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby craig-lapham on Thu, 18 Apr 2013 12:07 +0000

jimO wrote:
craig-lapham wrote: But on the flip side ive seen the with under 50KLM and the are in the workshop for injectors (dirty fuel we all know what this can do)

its not only a dirty fuel issue, my last hilux needed injectors at 60k, i only ever used fuel from a large BP near me, i doubt the diesel was in their tanks long enough to get dirty

Yeah Jimo

Your right their is a lot of factors that cause the injector problem but the biggest one is dirty fuel, or water in the fuel tank.
I currently have one with a stuffed turbo, blowing a lot of smoke, fix the turbo only to find the oil was by passing the turbo and going straight into injectors. andyep now ive got to replace injectors.
Apparently they aren't unbreakable ;-(
craig-lapham

Postby Romsey on Mon, 02 May 2022 6:17 +0000

I just bought my first Hilux, 2008 Dual Cab with tub SR5 V6 Petrol Auto with 237,000 klm. It has had clockwork service every 10K by Toyota and recently had a rear wheel bearing and diff seals replaced and new current SR5 18 wheels and road tyres fitted. It drives like a new car although the suspension is a bit rough and the front end jiggles a little under hard braking.

It had an LPG Dual Fuel conversion done at 180,000 klm. It will be going to Ultimate Suspension next week for a full update so after that there is not much else to do, maybe a few front bushes, discs & pads and a brake flush. I am expecting many years of reliable operation and only plan to do 5-8,000 klm a year 95% on road so it will be babied. The battery works fine but is starting to swell so that will be replaced soon.

So far I have added a Pioneer Apple/Android Play head unit, reverse camera, front parking sensors and a Thinkware T700 LTE/4G dashcam.

I will end up spending about $5K on it with all the above mods including a used ARB Smartbar bullbar whci I will fit myself. I purposely wanted a V6 petrol due to their fantastic reputation, the 5 speed auto and low service costs. As I only do 5-8K a year I did not care about fuel economy and finding one with LPG was an unexpected bonus.

Previous owner was a real estate agent who never took it offroad and really looked after it and I intend to keep it in pristine condition and running order. My main drive car is a 2011 Mono Cooper S which I love and a diesel Range Rover Evoque which is also an excellent car but neither of these can cart my motorbike around to offroad trails.
Romsey

Postby hiluxxury on Tue, 03 May 2022 6:00 +0000

You'll get many more kms out of that car. Drop the trans fluid if you haven't already done so.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby Romsey on Fri, 20 May 2022 3:21 +0000

hiluxxury wrote:You'll get many more kms out of that car. Drop the trans fluid if you haven't already done so.

Doing the trans fluid & filter next week. Also have a clunk when take foot off brake and stopping, suspect the propshaft uni joints and/or centre bearing. Will remove that and cop a feel at the same time.

Am hoping after updated electronics, park sensors, reverse cam, new suspension, brakes, diff seal, wheel bearings, trans & prop shaft that I will have a relatively maintenance free time from here sans engine oil and filters. The prev owner obviously saved everything up for me, the bastard. Put a new 720 CCA battery in as the old one was a bit small and was swelling.

Removed the hard lid today, putting on a tonneau cover so I can load my dual sports motorbike into, that was a prick of a job removing all the fittings, tub liner, etc and putting down some rust convertor into prev drilled holes and fish oil into the bed before refitting the tub liner. All done in the driveway in pissing stop/start rain. Going to fit the new soft cover tomorrow as well as a tailgate easy up/down strut kit. Also have a TPMS to fit into one of the switch blanks.
Romsey

Previous

Return to Drive Train Components