EGR exhaust gas recirculation

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

EGR exhaust gas recirculation

Postby Naci on Mon, 10 Nov 2008 6:50 +0000

Hello guys,

the EGR isn't really necessairy for the car but are there any guys that actually have removed it from there enige?
Naci

Re: EGR exhaust gas recirculation

Postby olcoolone on Wed, 19 Nov 2008 7:23 +0000

I take it you are talking about the D4D engine?

The EGR is a critical part of modern CRD engines, by removing it you can get more power but it will upset the rejuvenation cycle of the particle filter causing the particle filter to become restrictive sooner lowering vehicle performance.

If the particle filter becomes to blocked it can not be rejuvenated automatically and it has to be replaced at a cost of about $3000.00 to $4000.00.

The particle filter is rejuvenated about every 600 kilometers if the vehicle is driven in the city, extra fuel is injected into the engine and the injector timing and ignition timing is altered to produce a temperature in the particle filter of around 800 Deg. C (orange glow), at this temperature the particles that are trapped or broken down to smaller less harmful particles and released into the atmosphere via the exhaust.

If you were to remove the EGR valve it would be advisable to remove the particle filter as well but it is illegal to do either.
olcoolone

Postby Quinny34 on Wed, 19 Nov 2008 8:15 +0000

What particle filter are you talking about.... is it the CAT (catalytic converter) or similar if its called something diferent on a diesel?
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby olcoolone on Thu, 20 Nov 2008 3:28 +0000

There are two types of systems in use, the first is a particle filter that looks like a catalytic converter and is called a "DPF" (Diesel Particulate Filter) that requires regeneration by heating up the DPF.

The second way is what a lot of European manufactures using is called a "SCR" (Selective Catalytic Reduction) where by a solution is injected into the exhaust, this solution reacts with the catalyst and forms ammonia that changes the chemical structure NOx coming out the exhaust....there is a lot more to this system but to hard to explain on a forum.

The SCR system has been around since the 60's and is used in many power stations and locomotives, It allows for high constant power output of the engine but the solution has to be refilled.

Volvo trucks us a solution called "Adblue" and Mercedes-Benz uses "Bluetec", the solution is really called "Aqueous Urea Solution".

Easy Hu!
olcoolone

Postby Naci on Fri, 21 Nov 2008 1:39 +0000

Indeed I have it about the D4D engine and it is a European spec vehicle (living in Belgium) so I actually can't remove the EGR?
Naci

Postby Quinny34 on Fri, 21 Nov 2008 6:30 +0000

My pipe is straight/open all the way from the back of the exhaust.... (Although I have something welded around to give it a Road worthy look) so If Im reading this right, it doesn't effect me as I have nothing to get clogged up? Is that correct.
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Drive Train Components