Shudder/Vibration through gearbox

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Shudder/Vibration through gearbox

Postby paul3308 on Tue, 09 Sep 2008 4:03 +0000

Hi Guys,

I am new to the site and this is my first foray into cyber chat forums. So here goes!

I have read with interest a lot of comments about vibration and shudder through auto boxes with lifted suspension set ups.

I have a 2007 D4D auto sr5 that is fitted with arb canopy, bars- front, rear and side, winch and dual battery set up. It also has had a 2 " OME arb lift, and I get a vibration shudder mostly on start off always in the rev band 1200 to 1700 revs, it is very evident particularily on hill starts, and also evident (but less so) when cruising in slow traffic in both 2nd and 3rd gears in the same rev band each time. Which makes me feel its linked to engine revs, and not actual road speed, hence discounting out the tailshaft driving the rear diff. From the postings on the forum it appears the consensus of opinion is that the lift kit has caused it!

Has any one experienced a similar vibration on a standard diesel auto truck with no lift kit??????? As I have had it on my truck from day of delivery, prior to the lift kit being fitted!!!

Also has anyone actually managed to cure the vibration problem on their lifted truck with either wedges between the diff and spring packs, and/or a spacer for the centre tailshaft bearing??

My truck is currently in with toyota being looked at for 1. the vibration, 2. the gearbox overheating when used in four wheel drive on sand ( overheated 4 times in an hour with associated stops to let it cool down!) 3. Difficulty in selecting 4x4 ( sometimes the lever feels like it needs to be kicked in and out of 4x4!) 4. also in for poor fuel economy and general sluggishness/performance ( although it runs fine with no noisey rattles or smoke)

Has anyone had the auto box overheat so much in so short a time? ( And she was being driven correctly with 16psi in the tyres, and no load in the tray.) When driving it was as if there was nt enough torque from the motor. Loads of revs and nothing to show from it. Thinking this could be an ecu or injector problem,

If any of you guys out there have got a similar fitted out auto, could you let me know what fuel economy you are getting and also if you have experienced any similar problems and if so what was the cause and have they been fixed? Just so i can tell toyota what they need to do to fix it!!!

Cheers.

Paul
paul3308

Re: Shudder/Vibration through gearbox

Postby matske on Tue, 09 Sep 2008 6:08 +0000

i have the shutter in gear box to but mine is a manual.. also have the ome suspension it has been shuttering since getting lifted alot of people have this prob
matske

Postby david allan on Tue, 09 Sep 2008 7:33 +0000

mate got the auto with the lift & have the vibration
Tried heaps of stuff & have found no cure

Lots of info on the vibration / shudder thread
david allan

Postby croz on Wed, 27 Jul 2011 3:48 +0000

try stock front springs, if that works your front springs dont allow for proper travel of shockers so they are topping out, i had a similar issue that took month to find as well as a cracked bullbar, now have correct raise height springs in thanks to Dobinsons, Croz
croz

Postby sbeer7 on Wed, 27 Jul 2011 4:11 +0000

Mate I think this question has already been answered in a different topic. "Steve9R" said you need 1 degree castor wedges in your rear leaf pack, the link is here if you want to have a look.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8832
Hope it helps :)
sbeer7

Postby wyworrie on Wed, 27 Jul 2011 8:44 +0000

Try putting a spacer under the centre bearing on the tailshaft. The vibration most likely comes from a miss-alignment of the tail shaft due to the lift. It is apparant due to torque transmitted more than speed. I noticed this after my lift, and inserted 10mm spacer to lower centre bearing, this has pretty much eliminated the vibration, perhaps 12 or 13 mm would be better.

Best of luck,
Peter
wyworrie

Postby shaun520 on Mon, 22 Aug 2011 9:29 +0000

I have a standard 09 SR5, and have recently got a shudder on takeoff- usually when taking off slower. Seems to have started since coming back from a service from Toyota. Not sure exactly where the shudder is coming from, but I suspect the Auto transmission or diff.

Anyone know if this is a common problem?
shaun520

Postby aasigns on Thu, 03 Nov 2011 2:39 +0000

Hi There I also have a 2009 SR5 with an annoying shudder and have been working at it for nearly 12 months or so with no luck. I also have OME suspension and they have been great in trying to assist with the problem, and countless trips to my Toyota dealer under warranty work with no success. I have tried most suggestions that I have seen posted to fix the problem. In addition, loading up the ute with about 300kg to regain original ride height from the factory to align the tailshaft and still no change to shudder.

My questions are -
1/ Would using the caster wedges to align the tailshaft be any different to the result I got when I loaded the vehicle to temporarily align the tailshaft???
2/ Has any body else found a fix besides the ones already mentioned in past posts in this forum?? The solutions seem like they were posted quite a while ago.

Open to suggestions and thanks in advance
Adam
aasigns

Postby scottsr20 on Thu, 03 Nov 2011 6:47 +0000

I have a 2011 auto D$D with the shudder same - about 1200 ish 2nd gear . I have tried various sized castor wedges from half degree to 5 degrees and have spaced the centre bearing so the tailshaft is dead straight at ride height and have not fixed it. I suspect it is in the gearbox as when I turn the chip ( on the engine ) off it goes away, then slowly returns over the next 1000ks or so. I think the auto is wiggin out trying to deal with the torque. I'm thinking about getting my auto shift kitted ( add line pressure to help it pick gears more positively ) but I can't find anyone near me who knows anything about these autos.
scottsr20

Postby aasigns on Fri, 04 Nov 2011 6:43 +0000

I have actually had Toyota replace my gearbox with a brand new one under warranty (ouch expensive for them) and that also did not achieve a thing. I have been told to get Toyota to look at the Auto Selection Process, by tuning or running a computer diagnostic tool and modifying from there???? Not being a mechanic this is all a little gibberish to me and seems everybody is grasping at straws with this issue. Still wading my way through the painful warranty process so lets hope they pick something positive up soon!!!! Not holding my breath.
Thanks for the reply, and is something new I can feed back to the Toyota dealer to see if they can maybe look into the auto shift????
aasigns

Postby aasigns on Fri, 04 Nov 2011 1:31 +0000

Do you think it is due to after market products or a factory fault??? I suppose this is the million dolar question when trying to get warranty work done.
aasigns

Postby reedola on Wed, 27 Sep 2017 3:13 +0000

Has anyone ever heard of a scenario where the flywheel has been machined without replacing the clutch?

To remove a shudder.
reedola

Return to Drive Train Components