Automatic Transmission Rebuild Journey

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Automatic Transmission Rebuild Journey

Postby LittleBarra on Tue, 16 Dec 2014 1:26 +0000

Hey everyone, bought my first Hilux recently and this is my first forum post! Its a 2009 SR 4x4 dual cab diesel automatic with 195 on the clock. And as the title suggests, I've run into trouble already.

I purchased the vehicle from Pickles auctions as a trade in about a month ago (I know I know.. lucky i got a good price) and after about 80km on the 100km drive home i started having issues :( . The engine light had come on and the torque converter wouldn't lock up. Very quickly it escalated and got worse. Pretty soon I couldn't do over 70 and was revving at around 4000 rpm to hold it there. I pulled up at the first place I could and checked the a/t fluid which was extremely hot and burnt. After letting it cool for half an hour I drove the last 10k home slowly to avoid slipping. After some intense googling and a fairly sleepless night I decided to do a full system fluid flush, add a secondary cooler, and see how that went. When I dropped the pan this is what it looked like.

I knew I was in trouble but decided to stick to my plan and done the flush method shown in this youtube vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsdPAadc9fY

I done around 30ks before having the exact same issues again so i decided to drive it straight up the farm and pull the box out for inspection. After 4 hours on the hoist (yes I'm very lucky my Nonno loves the auctions and bought a hoist only a few weeks ago) I had the box and converter out and the issue was obvious straight away.

The shaft sleeve for the oil pump seal to run on had walked up the torque converter pump drive shaft and into the front of the pump housing. This was probably initially caused by the overheating of the converter from towing in drive. (just speculating as the ute seems to be setup for heavy towing). This in turn created mass heat and sent steel through the converter and whole gearbox, destroying the oil pump and likely a lot more. I knew then that this was going to become an expensive venture. So the box and converter went into the trailer to take home for stripping and inspection.

In the below photo, that sleeve was running up higher where the wear is. I only knocked it down to where it is now (and where is should be) as part of my investigation.

Below is the wear in the front of the pump housing from the sleeve

The lovely un welcomed clearance inside the oil pump

And my good oil seal

I decided that as a fitter and turner by trade, and currently out of a job, I would give the rebuild a go myself to try and save a few $. So after much more intense googling I found this incredible manual to step me through the whole strip down and rebuilding process. http://kai.supramania.com/Supra/A340%20 ... 216%29.pdf

After the full strip was complete, I found some interesting things.
No.1 I didn't need one of the "special service tools" to complete the job. Just basic hand tools and a little patience.
No.2 Auto Gearboxes aren't really as scary as they seem and I do suggest that anyone who thinks they have half a clue to give the rebuild a go themselves. (Just remember that patience, cleanliness and organisation are key.
No.3 The clutch packs in the box were in great condition. Still had writing on them and the steels had hardly any marks.

It was now time to sit down and order some parts.
This is what I decided to do.
Full seal and gasket rebuild kit with Raybestos stage one frictions and steels. (decided to change the frictions anyway as some had steel filings embedded in them).
Heavy duty torque converter rebuild (considering furnace brazing) by TCI in NSW.
Rebuilt oil pump.
Transgo HD2 shift kit.
New tcc solenoid.
Large dual pass transmission cooler with fan hooked up to a 70deg sensor switch.

So far the bill is looking to be around $1500, though I could have done a budget rebuild for around $600 and remained with a stock gearbox though I decided to go the full hog as I'm planning on keeping this ute for a long time and hopefully it taking me around Australia!

I will keep everyone updated with the progress as parts arrive. The back on road date is looking to be early new year (as Christmas is a bit of an, of course welcomed, hindrance.)
LittleBarra

Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuild Journey

Postby mylux04 on Tue, 16 Dec 2014 1:48 +0000

Hi mate congrats on the purchase of the lux sorry to hear about the troubles with the box but good on you for giving it a go yourself good luck with it all keep us posted as to how it turns out.
Cheers Tony
mylux04

Postby Talktheroo on Tue, 16 Dec 2014 7:04 +0000

Good write up, Barra.
I look forward to some more posts.
Catch you later, John.
Passing through country and seeing country are two different things.
Talktheroo

Postby singlespeed on Tue, 16 Dec 2014 8:22 +0000

Well done taking on a big job like that. Let us know how you progress.
2014 Hilux SR5 D4D 5A Grey w/ Blk Leather

Disclaimer:
My opinion is the opposite of your opinion, even if you change your opinion to my opinion.
singlespeed

Postby LittleBarra on Wed, 17 Dec 2014 2:18 +0000

Thanks for the support guys.

Well I completely stripped each part today and kero cleaned it all. Although it may have seemed like the clutch packs were hardly worn, they had certainly deposited a whole lot of crap on everything and turned my kero black very quickly! Before I reassemble everything I will be soaking each component in a/t fluid to ensure I'm not spinning anything unlubricated!

In other news, I installed the shift kit in the valve body. Will do a quick write up with a photo or 2 tonight on how that went!
LittleBarra

Postby jimO on Wed, 17 Dec 2014 2:36 +0000

no come back on the auction company or previous owners?
jimO

Postby LittleBarra on Wed, 17 Dec 2014 3:17 +0000

jimO wrote:no come back on the auction company or previous owners?

Nah mate. Vehicles are sold as is where is. Anything that happens to them after sale is responsibility of the new owner. Part the reason why cars are always cheaper at the auctions I guess!
LittleBarra

Postby LittleBarra on Wed, 17 Dec 2014 6:20 +0000

So I installed the Transgo HD2 shift kit today. Took around an hour but could be done much quicker since I spent a lot of time cleaning gunk and steel out of the valve body with contact cleaner... and there was lots!
So this is everything that came in the pack, plus my new solenoids.

Instructions were fairly straight forward. Double and triple checked each step to make sure I was removing and replacing the correct parts! Had to laugh at this instruction though.

Ofcourse I opted for the truck shifts. Would love to feel how hard the hot rod ones would be though! I also opted for the first gear hold option offered with this kit. Should allow me to hold first gear no matter what when the gear shifter is in first.

All in all I'm pretty happy with how easy the installation was. Pretty keen to see the differences over standard when its all back together. This is certainly a job I would suggest the diy home mechanic give a go! As with all things automatic, practice cleanliness and patience and all should be sweet!
LittleBarra

Postby pisso01 on Wed, 17 Dec 2014 6:35 +0000

Great write up mate. Im sure this will help plenty of members here. You are very brave taking this job on, well done.

Cheers,

Chris.
My touring Lux - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=7795 - Nearly finished
pisso01

Postby LittleBarra on Thu, 18 Dec 2014 1:18 +0000

So the full rebuild kit arrived this morning! It was like Christmas has come a week early! Got about 2 hours in no dramas before I was dissapointingly called in for a week of shift relief. So I write this as i drink a beer and wait to board a plane that will only bring sorrow and money. I'll give an update on progress after Christmas when there is some!
LittleBarra

Postby LittleBarra on Tue, 30 Dec 2014 11:46 +0000

So after a collective of about 10 hours, the box its self is finally back together! Though if you thought dealing with family at Christmas lunch was stressful, try rebuilding your transmission! Certainly not a job for those who are easily frustrated. So I'm nervous but confident that it went together right. The real test will come when its reinstalled! Though that won't be for a few weeks when my converter has returned. (damn shops closing over christmas!)
Ill hopefully have some a happy update in a few weeks when i throw it back on the car, and i'll give some feedback on how the shift kit performs. If anyone has any questions about the whole process, feel free to ask! Would like to think i've learnt a few things so far haha.
LittleBarra

Postby mattwhite on Tue, 30 Dec 2014 1:02 +0000

Good luck bud. It'll be fine.
mattwhite

Postby Skrewdriver on Thu, 01 Jan 2015 6:37 +0000

Barra,

Good on you for having a crack at it yourself. Like you said, patience is the key, which automatically counts me out :(

I know bugger all about the internals workings of Auto trans, but from what I can gather, your "tricking it up" a little bit?? If this is the case, a Transbrake is on the cards?? :D

In my experience, the problem with rebuilding Auto transmissions, is that NO ONE doe's them, there are lots and lots of manual gearbox rebuilders, but hardly any auto guys.
Reason why I say this there used to be a guy in Maitland NSW, he was a GOD with auto gearboxes, right from your little buzzbox Charade type gearbox, right through to Stockcar/Speedway type setups, being able to handle 1000+HP. "What he didn't know, wasn't worth knowing", he was a bit more expensive than everyone else, people were happy to pay. He closed down one day, out of the blue, found later on, he was a Vietnam Veteran, his mind just out on him, poor bastard.

Just out of interest, what was the damage on an exchange/reco/brand new gearbox versus rebuilding it yourself?

Keep us in the loop,

Peter
"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
George Santayana

E-Mail: pbialasinski@bigpond.com
Phone: (0407) 237723
Skrewdriver

Postby Ryanostrd on Thu, 01 Jan 2015 9:46 +0000

Hi Barra, Awesome write up mate.
I've just ordered one of the A750E transgo shift kits that I intend on installing myself, especially now I've read your stuff :D
Just wondering if you think it is worth replacing the solenoids as well as the shuttles and springs in the valve body or what they actually helps with?? Also what were you drilling holes in? Is that part of the kit to drill larger holes in the seperator plate that is already in there?
I think you are going to be very happy with your work mate. Definitely seem like you have the skills for the job.
Cheers Ryano
"Ain't nothing like the fine whine of a supercharger"
Ryanostrd

Postby LittleBarra on Sat, 03 Jan 2015 11:18 +0000

Skrewdriver wrote:
I know bugger all about the internals workings of Auto trans, but from what I can gather, your "tricking it up" a little bit?? If this is the case, a Transbrake is on the cards?? :D

Just out of interest, what was the damage on an exchange/reco/brand new gearbox versus rebuilding it yourself?

Hi Pete. Yeah, Adding heavier duty clutch packs and a shift kit, pretty much means I should have quicker, slightly harder shifts, and shouldn't ever have problems with the internal clutches slipping. As far as a transbrake goes, it would be pretty awesome but i don't think my cv's and diff would appreciate that much at all :P

As far as exchange/reco is concerned, best I could find was close to $4000, and that wasn't including the heavier internals and shift kit. I've gotten away with the whole job for under $1500.
LittleBarra

Postby LittleBarra on Sat, 03 Jan 2015 11:50 +0000

Ryanostrd wrote:Hi Barra, Awesome write up mate.
I've just ordered one of the A750E transgo shift kits that I intend on installing myself, especially now I've read your stuff :D
Just wondering if you think it is worth replacing the solenoids as well as the shuttles and springs in the valve body or what they actually helps with?? Also what were you drilling holes in? Is that part of the kit to drill larger holes in the seperator plate that is already in there?
I think you are going to be very happy with your work mate. Definitely seem like you have the skills for the job.
Cheers Ryano

Thanks Ryan.

I'll do a quick write up on some more specifics of installing the shift kit, although the a340 and a750 shift kits are fairly different, the basics should be the same. As far as replacing the solenoids go, (a solenoid is basically a electrically controlled valve, power to it will open or close the valve, depending on what its supposed to do) I wouldn't really worry about it if the fluid is still nice and clean and you're having no troubles.

First thing you will need is a new bottle of fluid (type iv for the 4 speed and ws for the 5 speed), a filter and pan gasket kit (optional), a shift kit, and a valve body gasket kit (that goes between the two halves of the valve body and the separator plate, a newer vehicle you may be able to reuse the old ones, mine were brittle and broke as soon as I removed them), and a tin of contact cleaner. Also a socket set is necessary.

First drain the transmission fluid then remove the pan. Check for steel on the magnets, and remove the filter. Next remove the valve body from the gearbox. There are a few different length bolts so it may pay to lay them out on the floor in the pattern in which they came out (just don't kick them).
Next comes the fun. Clear a bench and have some tools handy, you will need to remove all the bolts holding the two halves together. Little tip, once you remove all the bolts, hold both halves together and flip it upside down, hold the bottom gasket and bottom half in one hand, and the separator plate and other half in the other, slide them across each other for about an inch then lift it free. This is because if you just lift the top off, you may loose some of the ball bearings and retaining pins in that half. Next you want to remove the separator plate and slide the gaskets off each side. Then pick the instructions required for the valve body and follow them word for word. In the HD2 kit I had to change some springs and other things in the valve body, drill out a few holes in the separator plate and replace some of the accumulator springs. Might sound daunting, but the instructions are so easy to follow I reckon my mum could figure it out. Also any necessary tools and drills will come with the kit. Once its all done, just reverse the removal process. Whole job should take around 2-4 hours I reckon depending on tools and skill level. Very easy to do, just make sure you keep everything clean, follow the correct instructions and double check everything! Also when you put the valve body back on, make sure you attach the selector pin the the valve body to the selector shaft!!, I reinstalled my valve body before realizing i had missed this! wouldn't be real fun when you go to test out your handy work and the car doesn't move :P

Hope this helps anyone wanting to do this a little, sorry I have no photos to ad, though once you pull yours apart you should know pretty quick what I'm talking about.
LittleBarra

Postby Ryanostrd on Sat, 03 Jan 2015 2:50 +0000

Great extra info mate thanks again.

Transgo dont make a HD2 kit for the A750E 5 speed so I will have to see how it goes with the small kit I have and see if I need to go further with it to firm up the shifts. :roll:
I've done a bit more research and together with your info I'm pretty confident on the install. Just have to chase down a pan gasket and filter as I figure I may as well change those while I'm under there as well as a trans cooler.
Might take some photos of the 5 speed and add them to your thread here so others can see both autos for reference in the future.
Cheers
"Ain't nothing like the fine whine of a supercharger"
Ryanostrd

Postby LittleBarra on Sun, 04 Jan 2015 9:33 +0000

Ryanostrd wrote:Great extra info mate thanks again.

Transgo dont make a HD2 kit for the A750E 5 speed so I will have to see how it goes with the small kit I have and see if I need to go further with it to firm up the shifts. :roll:
I've done a bit more research and together with your info I'm pretty confident on the install. Just have to chase down a pan gasket and filter as I figure I may as well change those while I'm under there as well as a trans cooler.
Might take some photos of the 5 speed and add them to your thread here so others can see both autos for reference in the future.
Cheers

Yeah sorry I can't give you any info on the 750, if you throw up some photos and info about it that would be awesome. Not sure how you're guna go finding any info about firming up the shifts though. Might be up for a wholesale automatics valve body if that's your goal :p Keep us posted on how you go!
LittleBarra

Postby 06lux on Sat, 01 May 2021 2:34 +0000

LittleBarra wrote:It was now time to sit down and order some parts.
Full seal and gasket rebuild kit with Raybestos stage one frictions and steels. (decided to change the frictions anyway as some had steel filings embedded in them).
Heavy duty torque converter rebuild (considering furnace brazing) by TCI in NSW.
Rebuilt oil pump.
Transgo HD2 shift kit.
New tcc solenoid.
Large dual pass transmission cooler with fan hooked up to a 70deg sensor switch.

)

hi mate you wouldnt happen to have to part numbers for the seal and gasket kit
oil pump
transgo shift kit
tcc solenoid

cheers
FOR SALE
complete standard suspension
2x 265/70/15 general grabber at2 (not on rims)
P
06lux

Postby robfricke on Sun, 20 Jun 2021 2:17 +0000

06lux wrote:
LittleBarra wrote:It was now time to sit down and order some parts.
Rebuilt oil pump.
Transgo HD2 shift kit.
New tcc solenoid.

)

hi mate you wouldnt happen to have to part numbers for the seal and gasket kit
oil pump
transgo shift kit
tcc solenoid

cheers

Hey 06lux,
the transgo kit number is 340-HD2

Im also interested in the other part numbers if you happen to get them or if anyone has them.

thanks
robfricke

Return to Drive Train Components