Squealing noise after extended driving

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Squealing noise after extended driving

Postby delphs on Mon, 18 Sep 2017 8:38 +0000

Hey guys did any of you work out what was causing this. Noticed this noise today as it was finally warm enough to drive with a window down.

Starts above 20km or so and from what I could hear up until 70km or so. Constant noise that doesn't go faster or slower with revs or speed and just goes away as you slow down on braking and get to around 20.

Going to be fun trying to work out this one!
delphs

Postby RGA300 on Thu, 02 Aug 2018 2:06 +0000

Did anybody find a fix for this annoying noise!
RGA300

Postby clampy on Wed, 03 Oct 2018 7:28 +0000

So i think i worked out what it was on my car. the CV shaft going into the diff, specifically the seal.

the seal has a metal protective ring, and im quite sure when something gets in there, or maybe behind it, it does this. I didnt fix it on purpose, it was more an accident, but it was only after disturbing this seal (actually i replaced it due to a leak) that i later noticed the noise went away.

thanks to Streety75 for contacting me! i had actually forgotten about this thread!

hope this helps others
The problem with not finishing what i start is
clampy

Postby clampy on Wed, 03 Oct 2018 7:33 +0000

side point: the only time i can think of where i might have picked up grit was when i was playing in a gravel pit in the rain. the same day i took the photo which is my profile pic :lol: :lol: :lol:
clampy

Postby RGA300 on Wed, 03 Oct 2018 8:29 +0000

clampy wrote:So i think i worked out what it was on my car. the CV shaft going into the diff, specifically the seal.

the seal has a metal protective ring, and im quite sure when something gets in there, or maybe behind it, it does this. I didnt fix it on purpose, it was more an accident, but it was only after disturbing this seal (actually i replaced it due to a leak) that i later noticed the noise went away.

thanks to Streety75 for contacting me! i had actually forgotten about this thread!

hope this helps others

Cheers Clampy. I’ve got a pair of wheel bearings ready to go in. Was the seal hard to replace? Sounds like I should be doing them while I’m changing the wheel bearings.
RGA300

Postby clampy on Wed, 03 Oct 2018 9:39 +0000

They were a little annoying but I can’t remember much. I think I found the one I did didnt have any place it
Stopped up against something. I could have pushed it further down the diff housing. At least compared where the old one was. Seals up fine still tho and it’s been a couple years

Just more about protecting the metal from bending I guess
clampy

Postby DeadlyBeast on Thu, 04 Oct 2018 5:16 +0000

Thanks for posting back Clampy.
Confirms bloke&tackles finding
Good outcome 8-)
DeadlyBeast

Postby Phildo on Tue, 09 Oct 2018 10:07 +0000

I found my squeal. It was a dry seal on the inside of the front hub, I sprayed inox all over that area as i turned the wheel and it stopped. I haven't heard it in a few thousand kms.
Phildo

Postby RGA300 on Sat, 10 Nov 2018 7:40 +0000

Found the squeal!!! It’s in my transfer case. :( Now to find a replacement or rebuild
RGA300

Postby Mick_762 on Thu, 28 Nov 2019 4:26 +0000

I have had the same problem - 2008 DC.
Persistent but intermittent, didnt change pitch or tone no matter if engine or vehicle speed changed.

Checked the front wheel bearings, slight wobble in front right but otherwise all good. Thought of center bearing and thrust bearings, pulled the rear brakes apart - nothing.

It wasnt until I jumped onto the back of the ute with a mate driving ythat we narrowed it down to the cause.

A little rust in the "join" of the tray side/headboard was enough when vibrating to make the noise.

A quick buff with a flap wheel, a lick of paint and once again - only road noise from the muddies to enjoy whilst driving :lol:
Support bacteria: for some people, its the only Culture they have.
Mick_762

Postby m sciffer on Thu, 28 Nov 2019 7:39 +0000

hi there
years ago owning a Nissan patrol I had the same problem and it turn out to be the inner wheel bearing seal which was dry and creating the noise .I hope this may help .
m sciffer

Postby zacwalsh01 on Tue, 15 Sep 2020 8:09 +0000

hey guys currently having the same problem, i drive up the highway everyday of the week 50 minute trips by the end of the trip between 5-70kms i have a loud squealing noise. this only happens on warmerdays when theres no rain. if it rains nothing. anyone found a fix ? :(
zacwalsh01

Postby m sciffer on Tue, 15 Sep 2020 3:47 +0000

hi there
check the front wheel bearing seal it could be a dry seal wheel bearing, repack and new seals that fixed my problem I had with a nissan patrol , what I did own.
m sciffer

Postby zacwalsh01 on Wed, 16 Sep 2020 9:16 +0000

hey mate
not sure i will check the wheel bearing seal and repack it/replace but might be abit closer to the centre then that any thoguhts on that ?
zacwalsh01

Postby Geoffcaso on Fri, 13 Jan 2023 7:36 +0000

Did anyone work out what the noise is i have similar noise after about 20 minutes of driving a noise seems to come from the front of the hilux. I am tending towards front brakes as when i press them and the vehicle slows it seems to go away but not sure!
Geoffcaso

Postby DeadlyBeast on Sat, 14 Jan 2023 6:37 +0000

Had this happen on my lux last year - same noise only after driving for more than 10 minutes on a hot dry day
I thought it was brakes too as wiping some speed off quietened it down, but only when staying slow

Heres a very quick and cheap fix - drive the front onto some ramps or jack one side up at a time so you can get to the front axels.
Find the inboard and outboard dust seal/covers that clampy referred to earlier in this post
Get a lubricating spray that wont wash off like Lannox MX4 and attach nozzle extender
Bend the extender slightly to get in behind the covers and give it a good drenching. This lubricates the seal
Job done - been good for over 10K so far
DeadlyBeast

Postby Geoffcaso on Sat, 14 Jan 2023 4:41 +0000

Hi Deadly Beast I sprayed some crc multipurpose lube around i think that area the other day without jacking and i still seemed to have a noise. I am concerned i am not spraying in the right area or doing the right thing as you are talking about jacking etc. I will try and attach a picture of where I have sprayed. I have tried to attach a picture but i can't work out how?
Geoffcaso

Postby Rob_Wood on Sat, 14 Jan 2023 5:26 +0000

Geoffcaso wrote:Hi Deadly Beast I sprayed some crc multipurpose lube around

Mate of mine used to do a lot of roller door work years ago and warned me to never use WD40, CRC, Innox or other stuff on the roller door guides. They only EVER used Lannox because it was based on natural lanolin from sheeps wool and so it was a great lubricant WITHOUT attracting dirt and dust into the guides like other lube's did.
Dunno if it's relevant here, but whenever someone mention lannox over other products I tend to listen.
Rob_Wood

Postby DeadlyBeast on Sat, 14 Jan 2023 8:55 +0000

PM sent Geoff
As Rob suggests, CRC might not do the trick for this - It may have already dissipated
Its doable without jacking up but if you have bash plates its easier to jack up for good access of the inboard seal and will allow the turning of the wheel out for easy access to the outboard seal.
Need to be careful not to let any spray go toward the brake disc on the outboard/hub side, however the spray nozzle extension helps direct the Lannox behind the seal collar. I should have made that more clear in the first post. If the spray doesnt get behind the lip of the collar its not getting to where it needs. Give it a good soaking from the front and back sides from the top until it drips from the bottom
DeadlyBeast

Postby Geoffcaso on Sun, 15 Jan 2023 8:56 +0000

I got some lennox mx4 and i understand more now with the picture there is two dust seals on each end of the cv. I have sprayed all area's will see what happens in the future. It seemed to happen a lot worse on hot days and after driving on dusty roads. Sounds like the same noise you were getting after about 1/2 an hr of driving it would start. Thanks for the help..
Geoffcaso

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components