CV Boots (an interesting topic)

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Postby Skog07 on Wed, 04 Jun 2008 1:40 +0000

Give it a go, Rugged Lux.I would be interested to know.Problem is any lift on the front end makes the Cv issue unwarrantable from what I understand. It was suggested by the aftermarket supplier to take it back to Toyota for a warranty claim. I knew this wouldnt wash because of the lift, it was just removed and tinkered with by an aftermarket supplier to re pack the strut and it was sent off to a third party contractor for a wheel align to re align the front end. (Which I agreed to paid for. $65). You could see that the boot got pinched at the wheel aligner, there was a spanner mark right on the corner of the boot within spanner length from the ball joint adjuster right next to the SS zip tie. The outboard side like you are talking about. I only found it a few days afterward because I noticed a trace of grease on the ground where it is parked.In fairness I offered to pay for some of the costs for the repair because the original boot was 30k old. And I wanted a genuine part fitted. Was told not to worry about it and was declined on payment on pick up.Turns out it was an aftermarket boot that failed on the inboard side because the boot was stretched and the result another wheel arch full of grease. The thing that gets my goat is that I offered to pay for the geniune part in the first place and probably this hassle could have been avoided.Because the more bellows the greater the stretch, you can see where it pulled off the driveshaft. Anyway good luck with the boot issue, would get it looked at quickly.
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Postby Skog07 on Fri, 06 Jun 2008 12:29 +0000

Thankyou everyone
Well.
I have a genuine Toyota Outer boot fitted to the RHS of the Hilux and happy with it. It looks exactly like the LH side and hopefully it wont give me trouble and fail in less than 1000ks like the aftermarket one. Thankyou all for your comments and having a look underneath your Hiluxes to help me gaining the correct info to solve the problem.
Also the aftermaket supplier who rectified the situation for me a thankyou as well.
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Previous

Return to Drive Train Components