Diff Breathers - Front & Rear

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Diff Breathers - Front & Rear

Postby kitdoctor on Sun, 15 Feb 2015 12:55 +0000

Porter1603 wrote:
kitdoctor wrote:I was keen on this kit from BRC but haven't pulled the trigger yet

http://www.diffbreathers.com.au/comp-diff-breather.html

Did you end up purchasing this?

Could work well to also include the exhausts from my lockers

Yes I did but as with most of my projects it's still in the box. I'm not sure how and where to mount the filter/breather unit under the bonnet. I see someone else here has done it and I'll ask if they can throw some photos up. MONGO.
Last edited by kitdoctor on Sun, 15 Feb 2015 12:58 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
kitdoctor

Postby kitdoctor on Sun, 15 Feb 2015 12:57 +0000

CraigT wrote:
kitdoctor wrote:I was keen on this kit from BRC but haven't pulled the trigger yet

http://www.diffbreathers.com.au/comp-diff-breather.html

I put the BRC quad type in the new lux. Comes with everything you need. The product is great, and easy to install, and BRC ship real quick as well. I was very happy with their service.

Hi CraigT, any chane you could throw up some photos of your install? i.e. how/where you mounted the filter/breather unit.
kitdoctor

Postby alexisdmtr on Thu, 26 Feb 2015 10:21 +0000

Guys whats the deepest safest water crossing you can drive thru with no problems for the differential getting water in?
alexisdmtr

Postby Ryno77 on Fri, 27 Feb 2015 4:53 +0000

I'm pretty sure there is more leeway at the front then there is at the back on standard Hilux's. The lowest and most susceptible to water is the rear diff breather. Without diff breather extentions this should be your depth gauge.

(Speaking from a SR5 perspective. SR's may be slightly different)

Two reasons are;
1) Front diff, ADD, transmission and transfer case breathers all sit around the same area and when travelling in water usually a bow wave will be created at the front of your car causing a air pocket in the engine bay. If you keep moving forward this will be maintained for a while depending on the depth. I would estimate anyhere over half your front grill and you will start to potentially have water entering from the wheel wells which would make the air pocket dissipate and water would then rush in.
2) The rear diff breather is mounted directly to the rear diff, and not extended at all. This is your real problem as it is the lowest point of all of the breathers and probably the least likely to have any benefit from any air pockets or bow wave created. Without checking I estimate on standard Hiluxs this would sit about 50cm (probably quite less) from the ground but I have not measured and can't as I'm away for work atm.

So the best answer for this question would be to go to the rear of your car with a measuring tape, find the rear breather fitted on the left hand side of the diff in the axle housing and measure from there to the floor.

The only thing different for Hilux's with out diff breather extentions will be the size of tyres fitted.

I have just ordered the parts to do 5 breathers from Festo Pneumatics from the information gathered here and with specific help from Bushbound so when I receive them next week I will post the part number list here for anyone who wants to order it themselves. It's about $150 which a lot will baulk at (and comment I'm sure) but I didn't get a discount and I'm doing it my way (similar to Bushbound) and am sure I will be happy with the result and have peace of mind it's done how I want it done.
Last edited by Ryno77 on Sun, 01 Mar 2015 1:56 +0000, edited 3 times in total.
Ryno77

Postby Jersey4x4 on Fri, 27 Feb 2015 5:39 +0000

I haven't read the full topic but I saw a few questions about Brass fittings Vs Stainless fittings

I have seen brass fittings and pipe work literally crumble when stressed slightly. These fittings had been exposed to outside weather and salty environments much like the undersides of our vehicles are subject too

Problem is the elements that bind the brass together are drawn out leaving contaminated copper behind which is very very brittle

Stainless on the other hand as long as it is of a high quality will never degrade
Jersey4x4

Postby Ryno77 on Fri, 27 Feb 2015 6:23 +0000

Understood, but the only metal that will really be of significance would be the fitting into the rear diff. If you chose stainless then that will be where to do it. Everything else is just an extention of the pre-existing rubber hose with either nylon tube or fuel line hose if you choose. Going with the nylon tube, they way I am, I only need to use two brass joiners on components that will not breathe much. The other two high breathing component connections use nylon step down joiners and a hose clamp.
Last edited by Ryno77 on Sat, 07 Mar 2015 9:01 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
Ryno77

Diff Breathers - Front & Rear

Postby Ryno77 on Fri, 27 Feb 2015 2:14 +0000

Here's my finished diff and component breather parts list for a 2010 D4D Manual;

It DOES NOT include the fuel breather or the void between the transmission and transfer case which is a whole other job in itself. See Bushbound's write up on that job here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9864

My list does cover the following;
1) Front diff breather
2) ADD breather
3) Manual transmission breather
4) Transfer case breather (On my 2010 manual Hilux I believe this is tee'd near where the transfer case breather connects to the transfer case and the second hose of the tee connects to the transfer case/transmission void where both components bolt together, ALTHOUGH STILL UNCONFIRMED. To do this specific 'void' job follow Bushbounds guide and add what ever that recommends. Link above) .
5) Rear Diff

Parts list:
• 10m x 6mm black nylon pneumatic tube - PN 159665 (I bought 10m and used about 9m to complete the job).
• 4 x 90° 6mm push-in to female 1/8BSP - PN 153274 (Connection to sintered filters in engine bay)
• 1 x straight 6mm push-in to male 1/4BSP - PN 153002 (Connection into rear diff, remember to leave extra length of tube to allow for diff movement range)
• 1 x straight 6mm push-in to female 1/8BSP - PN 153023 (Connection to rear diff sintered filter, mounted behind left rear tail light)
• 2 x 8mm to 6mm push-in step down hose joiner - PN 153042 (One for the front diff and one for the transmission. You need two hose clamps for these. One for each connection).
• 2 x 6mm to 6mm 90° joiners - PN 9584 (I found 90° does a good job especially on the smaller breather on the transmission as if clips nicely into the original hose c clip at the rear of the engine head. The ADD can be a straight or a 90° but as the front diff is a straight and this runs with the ADD you might want to put a straight. Either way, you need two 90°s, or two straights or one of each depending on your preference of how it will sit. The straight PN is 7605.
• 4 x 1/8 male BSP flat headed brass sintered filters PN 1206622 (mounted to aftermarket aluminium angle bracket which will be bolted to pre-existing captive nuts on RHS of engine bay. 4 holes will be drilled into the bracket just larger then sintered filter threads so they can pass through the bracket and can be screwed onto by the 90°fitting which then clamps both fittings down on to the mounting bracket. This way no welding is required as Bushbound did, just thread tape or thread locker liquid to seal and prevent it from vibrating loose).
• 1 x male 1/8 BSP triangular brass sintered filter - PN 1205860 (mounted to aftermarket 90°aluminium bracket which will be fitted behind left hand tail light. Again, a hole will be drilled just larger then sintered filter thread so it is then passed through the hole and the straight fitting screwed onto which means both fittings clamp down onto the bracket. Again, use thread tape or thread locker liquid to seal and prevent vibrating loose).
• 1m x 20mm x 20mm (1.5mm thick) Aluminuim angle - I found mine at Bunnings for $5.00. Brand = "Metal-Mate" (by RCR) PN 6752

***Note. If you want to run the rear diff to the bracket at the front or even if you want the same filter behind the tail light as the front four filters then just get 5 x 1206622 and don't order 1x 1205860.

If anyone wants to change the size of any item, just copy the PN listed above and put into search field on the Festo webpage. To change thread size, straight to 90° or vice versa just click on the right where it says 'Display in the catalogue'. From here you just have to click from the drop down options it provides.
http://www.festo.com/cat/en-au_au/products

I have no affiliation with Festo and even the rep I dealt with admitted he thinks they are more expensive then SMC pneumatics but he also mentioned that Festo is made in Germany and SMC. Whether any truth to that, I'll never know.

Getting this parts list the way I wanted it and correct was a bit of journey so I thought I'd chuck it on here to help those of you who want to do the same or alternatively buy an ARB or an AoB kit from ebay.
Remember for a SR5 manual (maybe others) to keep this system close to Toyota specs as they produce it, you'll need at least 5 breathers, not 4 like the AoB kit has. (The 6th transfer/transmission void breather is still to be confirmed).

Any questions don't hesitate to DM me.

Front diff, ADD, Transmission & Transfer case breathers Image
Front diff & ADD connection (Blue push-in reducer with hose clamp & 90° joiner - could use straight here if you really want
Transmission & Transfer case connection (Blue push-in reducer with hose clamp & 90° joiner. Note A/C drain tube in foreground to give photo position perspective)
Rear Diff breather behind left hand tail light
Last edited by Ryno77 on Sat, 16 May 2015 10:59 +0000, edited 60 times in total.
Ryno77

Postby alexisdmtr on Sat, 28 Feb 2015 3:14 +0000

Ryno77 wrote:I'm pretty sure there is more leeway at the front then there is at the back on standard Hilux's. The lowest and most susceptible to water is the rear diff breather. Without diff breather extentions this should be your depth gauge.

(Speaking from a SR5 perspective. SR's may be slightly different)

Two reasons are;
1) Front diff, ADD, transmission and transfer case breathers all sit around the same area and when travelling in water usually a bow wave will be created at the front of your car causing a air pocket in the engine bay. If you keep moving forward this will be maintained for a while depending on the depth. I would estimate anyhere over half your front grill and you will start to potentially have water entering from the wheel wells which would make the air pocket dissipate and water would then rush in.
2) The rear diff breather is mounted directly to the rear diff, and not extended at all. This is your real problem as it is the lowest point of all of the breathers and probably the least likely to have any benefit from any air pockets or bow wave created. Without checking I estimate on standard Hiluxs this would sit about 50cm (probably quote less) from the ground but I have not measured and can't as I'm away from work atm.

So the best answer for this question would be to go to the rear of your car with a measuring tape, find the rear breather fitted in the left hand side of the diff in the axle housing and measure from there to the floor.

The only thing different for Hilux's with out diff breather extentions will be the size of tyres fitted.

I have just ordered the parts to do 5 breathers from Festo Pneumatics from the information gathered here and with specific help from Bushbound so when I receive it next week I will post the part number list here for anyone who wants to order it themselves. It's about $150 which a lot will baulk at (and comment I'm sure) but I didn't get a discount but I'm doing it my way (similar to Bushbound) and am sure I will be happy with the result and have peace of mind it's done how I want it done.

Thanks alot mate for your time on the extended explanation...i have a 3" suspension on it but breathers are on the way
alexisdmtr

Postby Jersey4x4 on Sat, 28 Feb 2015 5:33 +0000

Suspension lifts won't improve ground clearance (thus increasing the depth of water you can saftey travel through)

Only bigger tyres/wheels will do that
Jersey4x4

Postby Swaggie on Sat, 28 Feb 2015 5:42 +0000

Hi Guys

I'm just about ready to redo my diff Breathers, I originally bought the Piranha pack... Its served me well but I need to do my transfer and gearbox and extend the lines , as suggested by a member of another forum I am going to run them to the clean side of my Air filter. Drill holes in the side Attaching the lines using schrader valves (taking out the valve of course).. Then it's all sealed completely.. Should be interesting to see how it goes in the long run... . .

Cheers
Swaggie

Postby Malted on Sat, 28 Feb 2015 6:50 +0000

Swaggie wrote:Hi Guys
as suggested by a member of another forum I am going to run them to the clean side of my Air filter. Drill holes in the side Attaching the lines using schrader valves (taking out the valve of course).. Then it's all sealed completely.. Should be interesting to see how it goes in the long run... . .
Cheers

Wouldn't that potentially put the hose in a vacuum situation? I would have thought you would not want to create a vacuum in your diff etc?
If it aint half off, it aint on sale!
Malted

Postby Kizzzaaa on Sat, 28 Feb 2015 7:34 +0000

Malted wrote:
as suggested by a member of another forum I am going to run them to the clean side of my Air filter. Drill holes in the side Attaching the lines using schrader valves (taking out the valve of course).. Then it's all sealed completely.. Should be interesting to see how it goes in the long run... . .
Cheers

Wouldn't that potentially put the hose in a vacuum situation? I would have thought you would not want to create a vacuum in your diff etc?

X2 wouldnt you want them to be naturally open to the atmosphere.
Kizzzaaa

Postby alexisdmtr on Sat, 28 Feb 2015 8:19 +0000

Jersey4x4 wrote:Suspension lifts won't improve ground clearance (thus increasing the depth of water you can saftey travel through)

Only bigger tyres/wheels will do that

You right ...:)
alexisdmtr

Postby Swaggie on Sat, 28 Feb 2015 8:29 +0000

Kizzzaaa wrote:
Malted wrote:
Cheers

X2 wouldnt you want them to be naturally open to the atmosphere.

Hi Guys

Apparently not, a few European vehicles do it this way also. I'll give it a go and report back....
Swaggie

Postby abeeson on Tue, 03 Mar 2015 8:41 +0000

Cheers Ryno77, that parts list is awesome.

Where did you order the festo gear from? I haven't been able to get a login for their online ordering system that works (only got view access), that price isn't crazy to do the job right, especially for all the breathers which is what i want to do as well.

Also, i presume the ADD is SR5 only? my 2010 SR doesn't seem to have that breather mounted next to the front diff breather....
abeeson

Postby Ryno77 on Thu, 05 Mar 2015 2:37 +0000

abeeson wrote:Cheers Ryno77, that parts list is awesome.

Where did you order the festo gear from? I haven't been able to get a login for their online ordering system that works (only got view access), that price isn't crazy to do the job right, especially for all the breathers which is what i want to do as well.

Also, i presume the ADD is SR5 only? my 2010 SR doesn't seem to have that breather mounted next to the front diff breather....

Hey Abeeson,

I ordered all my parts from Festo directly. There's one twenty mins drive from my house. They don't stock much there at all but fly it over from Melbourne at no cost once you pay for it. Usually it's there the next day if you order early enough. Might be best to walk in with a list and have them price it up and pay for it on the spot.

On my first attempt I ordered all 1/4BSP fittings, but when they arrived, I knew they were over kill for the size of the tube. They credited them all and flew over the 1/8BSP size and I have them now and they're perfect for the job IMO.

SR5 have ADD and SR don't. So swipe everything related to this off your list of parts required. It will mean one less step down fitting, one less 6mm 90 push on and one less sintered filter.
Ryno77

Postby abeeson on Tue, 21 Apr 2015 12:12 +0000

Ryno77 wrote:On my first attempt I ordered all 1/4BSP fittings, but when they arrived, I knew they were over kill for the size of the tube. They credited them all and flew over the 1/8BSP size and I have them now and they're perfect for the job IMO.

SR5 have ADD and SR don't. So swipe everything related to this off your list of parts required. It will mean one less step down fitting, one less 6mm 90 push on and one less sintered filter.

Thanks again mate Ryno for all the help, that part list was a massive time saver!

I found a supplier in Albury (Remtron) by contacting Festo directly via their email address, the guys at Remtron have been awesome, I have all my stuff on order now, hopefully arriving today.

I grabbed your entire part list, however I swapped the rear long breather to a 5th short flat breather, I have an SR so I wont have the ADD breather but I figured the spare parts might be handy, I also grabbed 15m of hose which should be heaps more than I need but I figured better to have too much than too little.

I also changed my hosing to the PUN-H for the hydrolysis resistance (in blue), the part number is 197384 for that.

I think it came up to around $120 for me (without freight as I'll pick it up) which was a pretty good price to get it all done!
abeeson

Postby abeeson on Fri, 15 May 2015 10:17 +0000

Hey Everybody,

I have fit most of my stuff, all went in really easily, i'll post up some pictures etc when i get a chance.

The only thing i'll add is i ended up getting 2 x 8mm to 6mm push-in step down hose joiner but what i received was 2 x 6mm -> 4mm push in joiners, the part number listed for those (PN 153329, QSM-6H-4) is actually the smaller ones.

if you are ordering stuff, make sure you order PN 153042 (QS-8H-6) for that part.

I ran my breathers all to the front, using a plate from bunnings to fit them on. I used one of the semi serrated angle mount brackets which was pre-drilled with a series of smaller holes, i had to widen some out for the breather filters etc, but the pre-done holes lined up perfectly with two bolt holes in my engine bay (the same two Ryno has used by the look of it)

Anyway, pictures coming soon in any case once i get those extra two push in fittings.

PS - Anybody got any idea how to get the breather for the transmission / transfer case out? I got the one that is clipped in behind the engine (which is the other transmission / transfer case one) by working under the car after unclipping it, but the other seems to be moulded into a bracket which is bolted to the bell housing. I can't find an easy way to undo the bolt to get it and I'm not sure that i even should, plus i cant find a way to get the tube out of the mount. Anybody got any tips / tricks for that one?
abeeson

Postby apSlain on Tue, 04 Aug 2015 11:17 +0000

Thanks for the excellent write-ups and photography from everyone. This looks to be an extremely useful guide for those seeking to do the jobs themselves.

I've ordered a quad breather kit from Billet Race Craft (BRC) to do the job. The kit is a bit more expensive than competitors but I've yet to hear complaints and only praise for their products. In comparison, my mate's Jeep Wrangler was fitted with the ARB breather kit and was also installed by them. Their installation did not take into account suspension flex (i.e. the tube was stretched on more treacherous tracks) and the tubing actually melted, starving the differentials. He re-did the tubing himself and sheathed them in heat resistant sleeves from Pirtek (which were expensive, by the way - even the Pirtek rep. recommended against the purchase).

I'll be attempting to do this installation whenever the kit arrives on an '06 SR for the front and rear differentials, manual transmission, and transfer case. As Ryno77 mentioned, Bushbound brings up another breather on the transfer case that should be considered. Has anyone got any experience with this one? Should the transfer case be removed from the vehicle to complete this job?

Another query I had was regarding the fuel tank breather that's been mentioned a few times on the forum (here, here, here, and here). I'm also looking to complete this job as I'm already doing the other four, but there are next to no resources on it. It sounds as simple as the rear differential but I've yet to have it confirmed that it is as simple as that. Can anyone share a bit of direction on this, and whether there is a safety issue due to flammability if you run it into the engine bay with the rest of them?

Thanks all.
Check out Slain's Overlander, a perpetual work-in-progress.
apSlain

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components