Diff Breathers - Front & Rear

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Diff Breathers - Front & Rear

Postby apSlain on Mon, 15 Feb 2016 10:18 +0000

Back again with more questions.

'06 SR D4D Manual. No problems with the rear or front differential breathers (no auto disconnecting differential either so no worries there).

Basing what I'm doing off Ryno77's post, I cannot locate the second breather in this image. I can only see one whether I look in the engine bay or underneath the car. Did something change between the years (the guide I reference is for a '10 SR5 D4D Manual)?
Check out Slain's Overlander, a perpetual work-in-progress.
apSlain

Postby davo94 on Mon, 04 Apr 2016 9:20 +0000

Ryno77 wrote:Here's my finished diff and component breather parts list for a 2010 D4D Manual;

It DOES NOT include the fuel breather or the void between the transmission and transfer case which is a whole other job in itself. See Bushbound's write up on that job here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9864

My list does cover the following;
1) Front diff breather
2) ADD breather
3) Manual transmission breather
4) Transfer case breather (On my 2010 manual Hilux I believe this is tee'd near where the transfer case breather connects to the transfer case and the second hose of the tee connects to the transfer case/transmission void where both components bolt together, ALTHOUGH STILL UNCONFIRMED. To do this specific 'void' job follow Bushbounds guide and add what ever that recommends. Link above) .
5) Rear Diff

Parts list:
• 10m x 6mm black nylon pneumatic tube - PN 159665 (I bought 10m and used about 9m to complete the job).
• 4 x 90° 6mm push-in to female 1/8BSP - PN 153274 (Connection to sintered filters in engine bay)
• 1 x straight 6mm push-in to male 1/4BSP - PN 153002 (Connection into rear diff, remember to leave extra length of tube to allow for diff movement range)
• 1 x straight 6mm push-in to female 1/8BSP - PN 153023 (Connection to rear diff sintered filter, mounted behind left rear tail light)
• 2 x 8mm to 6mm push-in step down hose joiner - PN 153042 (One for the front diff and one for the transmission. You need two hose clamps for these. One for each connection).
• 2 x 6mm to 6mm 90° joiners - PN 9584 (I found 90° does a good job especially on the smaller breather on the transmission as if clips nicely into the original hose c clip at the rear of the engine head. The ADD can be a straight or a 90° but as the front diff is a straight and this runs with the ADD you might want to put a straight. Either way, you need two 90°s, or two straights or one of each depending on your preference of how it will sit. The straight PN is 7605.
• 4 x 1/8 male BSP flat headed brass sintered filters PN 1206622 (mounted to aftermarket aluminium angle bracket which will be bolted to pre-existing captive nuts on RHS of engine bay. 4 holes will be drilled into the bracket just larger then sintered filter threads so they can pass through the bracket and can be screwed onto by the 90°fitting which then clamps both fittings down on to the mounting bracket. This way no welding is required as Bushbound did, just thread tape or thread locker liquid to seal and prevent it from vibrating loose).
• 1 x male 1/8 BSP triangular brass sintered filter - PN 1205860 (mounted to aftermarket 90°aluminium bracket which will be fitted behind left hand tail light. Again, a hole will be drilled just larger then sintered filter thread so it is then passed through the hole and the straight fitting screwed onto which means both fittings clamp down onto the bracket. Again, use thread tape or thread locker liquid to seal and prevent vibrating loose).
• 1m x 20mm x 20mm (1.5mm thick) Aluminuim angle - I found mine at Bunnings for $5.00. Brand = "Metal-Mate" (by RCR) PN 6752

***Note. If you want to run the rear diff to the bracket at the front or even if you want the same filter behind the tail light as the front four filters then just get 5 x 1206622 and don't order 1x 1205860.

If anyone wants to change the size of any item, just copy the PN listed above and put into search field on the Festo webpage. To change thread size, straight to 90° or vice versa just click on the right where it says 'Display in the catalogue'. From here you just have to click from the drop down options it provides.
http://www.festo.com/cat/en-au_au/products

I have no affiliation with Festo and even the rep I dealt with admitted he thinks they are more expensive then SMC pneumatics but he also mentioned that Festo is made in Germany and SMC. Whether any truth to that, I'll never know.

Getting this parts list the way I wanted it and correct was a bit of journey so I thought I'd chuck it on here to help those of you who want to do the same or alternatively buy an ARB or an AoB kit from ebay.
Remember for a SR5 manual (maybe others) to keep this system close to Toyota specs as they produce it, you'll need at least 5 breathers, not 4 like the AoB kit has. (The 6th transfer/transmission void breather is still to be confirmed).

Any questions don't hesitate to DM me.

Front diff, ADD, Transmission & Transfer case breathers Image
Front diff & ADD connection (Blue push-in reducer with hose clamp & 90° joiner - could use straight here if you really want
Transmission & Transfer case connection (Blue push-in reducer with hose clamp & 90° joiner. Note A/C drain tube in foreground to give photo position perspective)
Rear Diff breather behind left hand tail light

Champion effort mate. Thanks
Another 2013 sr5 owner..
davo94

Postby rds_929 on Mon, 04 Apr 2016 2:57 +0000

i took my wheels off today and noticed a massive kink in the rear diff breather which arb installed it was nearly bent over a full 90 degrees where they cable tied it im tipping this isn't normal ??? so i snipped it off and re routed it
rds_929

Postby J.Poyner on Fri, 15 Apr 2016 8:27 +0000

Hi, I have a 2008 space cab hilux and a want to install breathers for gearbox, transfer case, front diff and rear diff. I have remove the center console and found the gearbox breather. I noticed it looks pressed in and can not be removed with a spanner. This is also the same for the front diff. My question is, are these tapped in or pressed in and it I remove with a screw driver, will I need to tap a 1/8 thread into the case or is it already tapped?
J.Poyner

Postby TOYZX on Fri, 15 Apr 2016 10:00 +0000

I removed the top cover off the gearbox and from the under side you can punch out the breather. I the tapped and sealed in a small brass barb. The front diff from memory already has some hose on it which you can just extend.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby flip9 on Fri, 12 Aug 2016 2:11 +0000

Okay i just finished doing the breathers for my '06 SR5 V6. I used an eBay breather kit which uses 1/4" hose (4mm ID).

*Front Diff and ADD hoses can be found just under the battery tray. Run it down the wheel arch so its easier to work on.

-Front diff needs an 8mm to 4mm reducer (Outer Diameters)
-ADD needs a 4mm to 4mm connector (Outer Diameters)
-4mm Y or T piece is needed if you wanna combine them to a single breather

*Gearbox and Transfer can be found behind the engine. The gearbox breather is bolt clamped to the bell housing. The transfer hose is clipped to the back of the engine. The hoses run next to each other and look alike.

-Gearbox is a massive pain to do. I had to move the airbox out of the way. You need to unbolt the clamp (10mm) and bend it to free the hose... then you need to somehow pull off the old breather with little space, i used vice grips. Once undone you pop in a 8mm to 4mm reducer.
-Transfer can be run underneath the car so its easier to work on. It needs a 4mm to 4mm connector.

Use hose clamps or zipties to secure the hoses then wrap them in electrical tape.

So total materials:
- Ebay breather kit
- 2x 8mm to 4mm reducer
- 2x 4mm to 4mm connector
- 1x 4mm Y Piece
- Zip ties
- Electrical tape

I bought my connectors/reducers from here. They are a bit pricey but they are heavy duty and chemical resistant.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251265120659 ... EBIDX%3AIT
flip9

Postby adman001 on Sun, 27 Aug 2017 3:27 +0000

Afternoon folks!

I'm having similar problems to apSlain....

apSlain wrote:Back again with more questions.

'06 SR D4D Manual. No problems with the rear or front differential breathers (no auto disconnecting differential either so no worries there).

Basing what I'm doing off Ryno77's post, I cannot locate the second breather in this image. I can only see one whether I look in the engine bay or underneath the car. Did something change between the years (the guide I reference is for a '10 SR5 D4D Manual)?

I reckon if I fondle the bell housing any more I could go to jail for it! I can't locate the gearbox breather for the life of me. I certainly don't have the two convenient hoses together for the gearbox & transfer case - I can only find the transfer case one, which winds its way along the right side of the gearbox, then over and up to the back of the engine.

I have a similar vehicle to flip9 above but his advice still doesn't seem to help. Before I start pulling out the airbox I'd like to be sure this breather even exists!

Any advice as to where this clamp is on the bell housing? Left/right/top, under the tunnel or more forward towards the engine?

Mine is an 07 SR5 manual d4d.

Thanks for any help, everything has has been super easy thanks to this thread!
adman001

Postby TOYZX on Sun, 27 Aug 2017 3:42 +0000

The gearbox breather is next to the shifter. Ypu need to pull the center console out and gain access to the top of the gearbox. Once you get the console and cover off you'll see it. You need to remove the factory breather and tap in a new fitting to take a hose.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby adman001 on Sun, 27 Aug 2017 5:03 +0000

TOYZX wrote:The gearbox breather is next to the shifter. Ypu need to pull the center console out and gain access to the top of the gearbox. Once you get the console and cover off you'll see it. You need to remove the factory breather and tap in a new fitting to take a hose.

Well now I feel silly :lol: but I thought you were talking about pre-06 models above when you said that? I found images of a 1998 model removing the gearstick boots but it looked a lot easier on his than when I checked mine.

I have no access to a drill anymore. I can buy a 1/8" tap if that fits the punched out valve hole, but if there's drilling required I'll have to leave the gearbox until have access to a workshop again :(
adman001

Postby TOYZX on Sun, 27 Aug 2017 5:14 +0000

I actually just epoxyed a small piece of copper tube into the hole, let it cure and was good as gold.

TOYZX

Postby Critter350 on Tue, 29 Aug 2017 6:39 +0000

Picture here, got yellow and pink paint on it. I'm gonna try ripping the top off to attach a hose. I've ordered a spare in case it doesn't work. Image

Cheers
Crit
Critter350

Postby Bloodnut on Tue, 27 Feb 2018 9:21 +0000

Hi Guys, this is handy for when I do mine. Do you guys think there is any value with putting the breathers in the engine bay in a can of sorts (upside down - hole at the bottom) so that should the water be over the bonnet the breathers are in an air pocket? Dunno just my 2c
cheers
Bloodnut

Postby William_Foster on Thu, 01 Mar 2018 6:16 +0000

Bloodnut wrote:Hi Guys, this is handy for when I do mine. Do you guys think there is any value with putting the breathers in the engine bay in a can of sorts (upside down - hole at the bottom) so that should the water be over the bonnet the breathers are in an air pocket? Dunno just my 2c
cheers

I wouldn’t worry too much unless you are planning on being stationary in water that is over the bonnet. Apologies if you are experienced in water crossing as I’m probably saying nothing you don’t already know, but just drive smoothly through the water, keep a nice small bow wave coming off the front and you should be fine; no bow wave your going to slow, big bow wave your going to fast. The engine bay will get water in it, but it will be much less than you’d expect.
2013 Toyota Hilux SR5
4x4 Manual Diesel
William_Foster

Postby Jrp131191 on Mon, 02 Mar 2020 4:29 +0000

Hi everyone, I copped the 4wd light flashing in orange after ~30 mins of driving problem a while back.

I noticed today that the ADD breather hose was not connected. I'm still learning the ins and outs of the 4by world but by the looks of it, even if I stretched the hose out to the point of tearing it, it would still not reach what I assume is where it needs to connect to. Could this be because the previous owner installed a diff drop and didn't extend the hose?

Is this where the hose is supposed to be hooked into? It's a hollow metal piece with hose hooked onto the other end but nothing on that end. The metal piece is attached to what I also think is the front diff breather hose.

https://ibb.co/cJMGvCy

Does anyone know where I can source some more of this hose or if I would just be better off purchasing a breather kit such as the AOB one?

TIA!
Jrp131191

Previous

Return to Drive Train Components