Rear disc brake conversion...

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Rear disc brake conversion...

Postby MONSTERHILUX on Sat, 16 May 2009 1:12 +0000

yea landcruisers and american made trucks all come with disk brakes all round.
but anything pickup made in thailand will have to main things,
rear drumb brakes,
leaf spring suspensions.

its all to avoide paying tax, so in the end its cheaper to make, cheaper to sell and cheaper to buy.
MONSTERHILUX

Postby tomed13 on Sat, 16 May 2009 3:18 +0000

all hiluxs are NOT built in thailand ;) ,,,mine built in south africa!! TACOMAS in the US comes with drum brakes!!!!,,tundra comes with disc in rear! and I don't think it would cost toyota any more money to put disc rather then drum brakes! also don't believe they built the hilux specifically for thailand, so why would they care on how much taxes you have to pay on it,, if thats the case they would have put wooden seats in mine to save me money cuz here in norway taxes are ridiculous :lol: so there is a reason they put drum brakes on hilux,,but don't think it's your reason "monsterhilux"
tomed13

Postby MONSTERHILUX on Sat, 16 May 2009 9:14 +0000

tomed13,
the only hilux that is built in thailand is the diesel varients. we dont have any petrol varients.
and yes it would cost more money to fit disk brakes rather then drumb.
why would you assume it wouldnt cost toyota anything? thats nieve to believe.
if you work in the industry you will know how things work and are done.

so understand, that the diesel mate is made in thailand, and they fit drumb and leaf springs, because is nessary for all commerical vechiels to get less tax.
why would you also assume, this "so why would they care on how much taxes you have to pay on it,,"

wow mate, tax arnt set for local market only, if you export, you will know you have to pay duty and tax on all items. you buy, export or import. so either way, the less tax will benefit everyone!!!!

and second of all, please research before you suggest, as thailand has 280% tax on automotive vechiel. how is that not high and ridiculous. plus have you all forgotten thailand isnt a 1st world country, what do you think most local people drive........trucks. (thailand is the worlds 2nd biggest pickup market after USA).
and how do you think these people afford it?

and lastly, japan decided to make all the 4 cilinder diesels pickup in thailand,
the reason, because of thais, skills, low wage, etc etc which all in all drop the cost of the vechiel.
so by toyota and others making that choice to make them in thailand, thus it came with a comparmise.
drumb brakes and leaf springs.
MONSTERHILUX

Postby jogal on Sat, 16 May 2009 5:39 +0000

What about the diesels that are made in Brazil for the south american market?
jogal

Postby tomed13 on Sun, 17 May 2009 12:54 +0000

MY DIESEL IS NOT MADE IN THAILAND , IT IS MADE IN SOUTH AFRICA,,,,SO PLEASE RESEARCH BEFORE YOU SUGGEST ALL DIESEL HILUXES ARE MADE IN THAILAND! I HAVE 2 (2007 AND 2008) AND BOTH DIESEL AND BOTH MADE IN SOUTH AFRICA :roll:
WHY WOULD YOU ASSUME IT COST LESS TO PRODUCE WITH DRUM THEN WITH DISC BRAKES? IF YOU LOOK AT THE FACT THAT WHEN THEY INSTALL DISC BRAKES THEY CAN DO IT QUICKER THEN ASSEMBLING DRUM BRAKE SET UP,,THUS SAVING MONEY. AND IN THE US THEY DON'T HAVE THE HIGH TAXES ON TRUCKS--------SO WHY DO THEY PUT DRUM BRAKES ON TACOMAS :?: :?: :?: AND I STILL BELIEVE THAT IT CAN'T COST THAT MUCH MORE TO PUT ON DISC RATHER THAN DRUM,,,THEY SAVE THE DIFFERENCE ON INSTALL TIME :lol:
tomed13

Postby MONSTERHILUX on Sun, 17 May 2009 10:17 +0000

tomed 13 thats nieve mate,
how much does a drumb brake kit cost?
how much does a disk brake kit cost?
ask yourself simply that.
MONSTERHILUX

Postby jogal on Sun, 17 May 2009 11:06 +0000

Just as a matter of interest were are the v6 hilux's from then?
jogal

Postby tomed13 on Sun, 17 May 2009 4:36 +0000

just did a very quick price comparison for the major brake componites: drum ,shoes, hardware kit vs. rotors, shoes, calipers----- and average cost for both set ups are remarkably close to the same! depands on how fancy you wanna go.
tomed13

Postby Brookster on Sun, 17 May 2009 9:33 +0000

Tomed13 (and Monster!),

just to add confusion to the drum versus disc argument, I've been told by a mechanic that trucks use drums on the rear because of the variable load carrying capacity. Greater braking surface area equals better braking duration when loaded. I don't know if this is a contributing factor to Hiluxes having drum rear ends or not. Just my two bobs worth!

Brookster
PS congratulations Tomed13 on your country's Eurovision win!
IF A MAN TALKS IN THE FOREST AND THERE IS NO WOMAN TO HEAR HIM, IS HE STILL WRONG?
Brookster

Postby tomed13 on Mon, 18 May 2009 12:00 +0000

brookster
you have just helped my point that there is another reason for them to put drum brakes on hiluxs other then it being cheaper to make, thus cheaper for people in thailand.
oh btw thanks but I live in norway, but from US;)
tomed13

Postby MONSTERHILUX on Mon, 18 May 2009 1:03 +0000

mitsubishi mecahnics stare in awww when they see a turbo change,
i wouldnt take there opinions to highly,
research and see for yourself.

there is proof claims showing that runstops rear converison kit by itself, improves braking distance by 30-35%.
who can argue with proof and hard facts.
plus i have them installed and i saw a huge differnce.
MONSTERHILUX

Postby Tonym on Mon, 18 May 2009 5:28 +0000

If anyone tells you that drums are better than discs for any reason they are talking pure crap,maybe we will see new Ferraris with 4 wheel drums. All of the utes sold in Oz have drums on the back except for the Ssangyong SPR which is one of the cheapest on the market. All oz hiluxs come from Thailand where Toyota get a considerable tax break from the Thais to manufacture commercial vehicles in that country, To be classed as a commercial vehicle eligable for the tax breaks in Thailand a vehicle must have rear leafs and drum brakes.
Tonym

Postby simonreale on Mon, 18 May 2009 8:44 +0000

MONTSTERHILUX, you keep answering why hilux's have drum brakes. -Because there a commercial vehicle, why does a commercial vehicle have drum brakes? Because its designed for work, carrying loads etc, not high speed performance braking.

A drum brake performs better then a disk brake under heavy loads, thus being better suited to our hilux's.

We arent after absolutely awesome performace, just reliability and ability to work under heavy loads.
simonreale

Postby MONSTERHILUX on Mon, 18 May 2009 8:46 +0000

Tonym,

great mate, You know your information well :)
MONSTERHILUX

Postby MONSTERHILUX on Mon, 18 May 2009 8:57 +0000

the only advantage that a drumb brake holds, is that it has good response under light breaking.

under more and more heavy loads the drumb brake starts to turn non-effective, due to the lack of heat despense with the drumb brake.
the principle, if heat can not escape you got major problems. not to menation underload, the drumb brake will be working 3times as hard as it would without load. and with the lack of heat despense......

if you drive like a grandmother with heavy loads, then its all good.

simple question under heavy load, can you tell the drumb brake feels ineffictive? braking distance is extended by 7-15m with heavy load.
MONSTERHILUX

Postby MONSTERHILUX on Mon, 18 May 2009 9:03 +0000

oh btw,
i believe the transport department,
would never assume any commerical vechiel going over 120-130. how many 6-8 wheelers do you see going 130????,
they put it as a tax benfit issue. and no goverment would give any tax benfits for fitting the best things.
like a full coilover suspensions set all round, and big 4pots with big rotors. haha i would imagen, if the goverment gave insentives for doing that, we all woudnt be here.
MONSTERHILUX

Postby bj343 on Mon, 18 May 2009 9:45 +0000

MONSTERHILUX wrote:oh btw,
i believe the transport department,
would never assume any commerical vechiel going over 120-130. how many 6-8 wheelers do you see going 130????,
they put it as a tax benfit issue. and no goverment would give any tax benfits for fitting the best things.
like a full coilover suspensions set all round, and big 4pots with big rotors. haha i would imagen, if the goverment gave insentives for doing that, we all woudnt be here.

MONSTERHILUX, you haven't seen the truck drivers drive there rigs here in Oz by your ststement, we are lucky to see a 18 wheeler doing under 130k on the highways :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
But I agree the hilux should have rear disc and coil over springs and a live front diff and 4.1 to 1 diff ratio but aussie beggers can't be choosers in the world economy
bj343

Postby MONSTERHILUX on Mon, 18 May 2009 9:53 +0000

haha :)
hahahahaha,

dayum dude that would be the major reason why i would heavily speeddddddd, haha to get away from 10ton-20ton trucks going 130.
haha.
MONSTERHILUX

Postby AGRMGT on Mon, 18 May 2009 1:21 +0000

This is becoming about as controversial as desalination.

:P
AGRMGT

Postby jamiecracker on Mon, 18 May 2009 3:04 +0000

i blame the economic crisis and rising sea levels

i hate my drum brakes and after driving my new hino work truck that has 4 wheel disc brakes it makes getting back into the hilux regretable
jamiecracker

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components