Oily Air Locker

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Oily Air Locker

Postby bdlavis on Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:47 +0000

Is anyone with an ARB air locker experiencing diff oil coming up the air line and into the compressor solenoid? This results in diff oil being sprayed everywhere each time the locker is de-activated. Can get a purge valve from ARB but seems like a quick fix. Thoughts?
bdlavis

Oily Air Locker

Postby Skog07 on Fri, 22 Feb 2008 11:08 +0000

Ive only had mine for 24 hrs now activated it a few times, no diff oil yet. Looking at the service manual the purge valve kit is to clean dirt, moisture and contaminants from the diff end of the line, or redirect pressure discharge point. Which means you will be spraying diff oil else where. What did Arb say? Seems like a crook air seal in the actuator in the spool.Letting oil in when not activated then slowly discarging it up the air line and out the soleniod when the air is released.No expert on the Arb lockers but deal with pneumatics a fair bit and would seem like the logical solution. Could be Arb's get out of jail free card for crook seals.If it is a common thing will be looking at exhausting the port with tubing below the car away from anything important.
Mark
Skog07

Oily Air Locker

Postby hiluxdan on Fri, 22 Feb 2008 12:40 +0000

Yeah mine does.
Been in for about 6 months but only noticed the oil in the engine bay a few weeks ago while wiring up some spotties.
Took it to arb and they blew out the line. They said a bit of spray is normal but mine was more than usual.
Haven't checked it since but will definately keep an eye on it, seems to be a bit common.
Check this out on the A4WDA forum.
http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=49382
Dan
hiluxdan

Oily Air Locker

Postby chaser on Fri, 22 Feb 2008 7:43 +0000

yep
mine is two years old and same thing , i have the purge valve and it stop the oil getting to the compresser which in my case is good as it is under the seat.
But oil is normal to come out onch the locker is turned off. it should be a mist not drips.
cheers
tony
If it moves shoot it , if it dosn't, give it a push
chaser

Oily Air Locker

Postby bdlavis on Sat, 23 Feb 2008 11:47 +0000

Thank guys. Yeah I think the purge valve is an after thought as I know many people with different branded cars with the same problem, however, there is also a percentage that never have the issue occur. ARB blame poor fitment - no warranty.

Skog07, think I might take your advise and redirect the solenoid exhaust into a line that perhaps runs into the chassis. Might stop potential rust!!! (Trying to remain positive!).
bdlavis

Oily Air Locker

Postby TOMUCH on Mon, 23 Dec 2019 4:42 +0000

I had mine on my lod Lux for years.. never had that problem.. then buggered the diff.. and had it rebuilt.. less than a month after.. oil was comming out the pipe... could be something in that poor fittment thing. Dont have any such problem on this one.. and I am about to upgrade to the new ARB Compressor.. Hopefully it will remain as it is...not leaking oil.. Cheers TOMUCH
Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon, 23 Dec 2019 4:42 +0000.
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Return to Drive Train Components