LEAKING REAR HUB/AXLE SEAL

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Rear axial seal

Postby brian.bozo on Fri, 10 May 2019 3:50 +0000

Have a look at these youtube videos. At the 20 minute mark of the first video, the guy explains why the oil seals continue to fail. Toyota are aware of it but this guy offers a solution to the fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVhSDnw2ugo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-c2x3F8DU4
Cheers
brian.bozo

Re: LEAKING REAR HUB/AXLE

Postby DeadlyBeast on Sun, 12 May 2019 5:48 +0000

Thread merged from gen 8 general discussion to appropriate thread
Thanks brian - good find
DeadlyBeast

Re: LEAKING REAR HUB/AXLE SEAL

Postby FIRIE on Mon, 13 May 2019 12:22 +0000

Thanks guys

Breather is good, like I said 3 seals within 600kms or 6 weeks. Seals done by different mechanics.

More info for your consideration , had the bearings replaced after hearing a horrible noise, thought (still might just bearing) was bearing. Maybe it was something else.
Bent axle seems to be the consensus

Oil looked extreme but know oil spreads

Will keep you informed
Thanks again all
FIRIE

Postby FIRIE on Wed, 24 Jul 2019 9:09 +0000

Hi all, after months of research and several seals later still no concrete answer but some news.

So my mechanic who is more than capable and I believe to be one of the good ones tried an after market seal/bearing kit made in Germany. The bearings were/are good but the seals failed. After having so many engineers/mechanics look at this problem from the surrounding area no one could believe the seal could fail/leak so bad, LOL but they did.

One thing that was found my 2008 hilux axel was only in production for 2 years and when you look at the difference between today’s axis and mine the difference is massive, nothing for the seal to grab,seal against.
As all the engineers/mechanics have done hundreds of seals they were all stunned by the seating of the seal,,,,lots of guys having their input..lol

So it’s been 1000kms and so far so good but last time the seals lasted 2 to 5oookms so time will tell

As we all know putting in words of what happened is difficult so of course there was a lot more behind the scene so before those who think it was the machinists should consider this:
When doing some of my big trips such as canning gun barrel i am over wieght(believe I am, hence gvm upgrade) so axial and diff issues where high on the list
Seating the seals omg I’ve done seals on my hilux but they were easy as they lined up

Anyway I’ve blabbed long enough, ta again for all advise
FIRIE

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 24 Jul 2019 10:20 +0000

Maybe time to source some later model axles?
If Toyota changed them after 2 years then this may be the problem??
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby manarc73 on Sun, 21 Jun 2020 11:41 +0000

Hallo from South-Africa. Our local forums doesn't seem to have an answer for this problem. My Hilux have the same problem as mentioned above. Symptoms as mentioned in this post and elsewhere are as follows:
1. Diff breather is open and clear
2. Oil is not overfilled
3. Replaced with OEM seals twice, still leaks
4. When wheel is lifted of the ground and rotated, there is no wobble that should indicate a bent axle.
5. Replaced with SKF HMS5 seal and leak is worse
6. Surface of collar where seal lip makes contact is smooth and clean.

Please help!
manarc73

Postby hiluxxury on Mon, 22 Jun 2020 6:03 +0000

Sometimes a bent axle cant be seen with the method you describe - the run-out can be very small. You might also want to consider a bent axle housing, which is hard to measure and diagnose.

In my case, I just swapped out a rear end for a wreck. It was cheaper than constantly wasting time and money on figuring out what was wrong with the old parts.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Previous

Return to Drive Train Components