Clutch query

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Clutch query

Postby Funtcase on Fri, 26 Apr 2024 1:15 +0000

Hi, I have recently purchased a 2007 Hilux 2.7 petrol 5 speed, done 220,000km
Would love to hear your thoughts/advice on the issue I have.
Hard to get into 1st and reverse when stopped, often graunches between 1st and 2nd

Gearbox is quiet, I just changed the fluid to Penrite synthetic, oil that cam out looked new anyway.
No noise from throwout bearing on clutch when idling.

So does this sound like clutch? No idea if has ever been changed. The ute is ex AA Roadside and sounds like it had lead a pretty sedate city life.

Can these clutches be adjusted, or is at a case of when worn, replace it?
Is there any way to inspect these?
Thanks for your ideas, appreciated.
Funtcase

Re: Clutch query

Postby Gipsy on Fri, 26 Apr 2024 2:04 +0000

Sounds like synchro in the gearbox, does it get better when hot?
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Funtcase on Fri, 26 Apr 2024 3:31 +0000

No not really, I think it has got a bit worse since putting the synthetic oil in though.
Funtcase

Postby Rob_Wood on Fri, 26 Apr 2024 3:50 +0000

Gipsy wrote:Sounds like synchro in the gearbox, does it get better when hot?

Either that or the gates need a slight adjustment. In the old Patrol I only had to lift 6 or 8 bolts to raise the "inspection Plate" around the gear shift to get to them and found the top plate had loosened, set & tightened and all good after that.
Dunno if the newer vehicles have the inspection panels any more? They were quite handy though.

Funtcase wrote:No not really, I think it has got a bit worse since putting the synthetic oil in though.

Synthetic Oil? in the Gearbox or the engine? Just crossing "I's" & dotting "T's". :)
Rob_Wood

Postby Gipsy on Sat, 27 Apr 2024 6:10 +0000

Synthetic oil may make it worse... Its designed for newer gearboxes. Heavier grade oil helps ageing synchro because the synchro is designed to give some drag to the gear shaft allowing the gears to equalise speed and mesh easily. (Simplistic explanation but reasonably accurate) What grade oil did you use? Try a heavier grade non synthetic. The heavier viscosity oil also is better for the worn gears.
One thing you have probably solved... It's the gearbox and not the clutch

This may explain better: note.... It works by friction and your synchros are worn thus not so 'sticky'

The purpose of a synchroniser is to simplify the gear change process and to prevent the need for 'double de-clutching'. A synchroniser is a ring device that is placed between the driving gear and the synchroniser hub and acts through friction to equalise the speeds of the main shaft and the desired drive gear.
https://www.aftonchemical.com › gi...
How do synchronisers work? | Afton Chemical
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Return to Drive Train Components