Vibration after new clutch fitted

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Vibration after new clutch fitted

Postby singlecabsam on Sat, 28 Jan 2023 4:29 +0000

G'day all,
I've just had a new clutch put in my 06 lux. Since the install, the bearing is making a knocking/ ticking sound which goes away as soon as I engage the clutch pedal. On top of this, I'm getting some pretty vigorous vibrations coming through the floor and steering wheel, but only when I'm in neutral and coasting to a stop at the lights for about 30 secs then it's fine (slightly in between gear changes if their slow). No vibrations while I'm driving Does anyone have any idea's on what could be causing the vibrations? fly wheel?

I couldn't find any threads on the topic..

Any input would be amazing! cheers
singlecabsam

Re: Vibration after new clutch fitted

Postby dave g on Sat, 28 Jan 2023 4:50 +0000

Who fitted the clutch go back to them
Was the fly wheel machined
Did they replace the bearings
Did they fit a new presher plate
Any one of those things can corse what you have asked
dave g

Postby Rob_Wood on Sat, 28 Jan 2023 6:28 +0000

dave g wrote:Who fitted the clutch go back to them

Yeah, I'm actually gonna go with the new pressure plate not being tightened up properly OR one or more of the.bolts being broken or.stripped during the install.
Either that or the old thrust bearing being used.

I always do it as a top quality KIT, then (hopefully) I never have to touch it again. Many "cheaper" mechanics will just do the clutch plate and hope for the best, they won't even try.to seat it into the.old.pressure plate.
Rob_Wood

Postby singlecabsam on Sun, 29 Jan 2023 12:59 +0000

Hey Dave,
Yes, they were meant to do all of thee things... Maybe something faulty.

But yes, it will definitely be going back as the vibrations are now apparent every time I come off the gas. Initially (a month ago) it wasn't every time I pulled up..

Cheers mate!
singlecabsam

Postby singlecabsam on Sun, 29 Jan 2023 1:01 +0000

Rob_Wood wrote:

Yeah, I'm actually gonna go with the new pressure plate not being tightened up properly OR one or more of the.bolts being broken or.stripped during the install.

I always do it as a top quality KIT, then (hopefully) I never have to touch it again. Many "cheaper" mechanics will just do the clutch plate and hope for the best, they won't even try.to seat it into the.old.pressure plate.

Cheers Rob, It was meant to be the whole kit so maybe something was faulty... it was a Clutch Industries kit..

It will have to go back under warranty, it's only been in for a month and I don't want to drive it in fear of doing any damage to anything else..
singlecabsam

Postby Rob_Wood on Sun, 29 Jan 2023 4:51 +0000

singlecabsam wrote:
Rob_Wood wrote:

Cheers Rob, It was meant to be the whole kit so maybe something was faulty... it was a Clutch Industries kit..

It will have to go back under warranty, it's only been in for a month and I don't want to drive it in fear of doing any damage to anything else..

Yeah, take it back, but I'd also suggest you watch your back, not many mechanics take kindly to someone questioning their work.
Rob_Wood

Postby Myralga on Wed, 01 Feb 2023 12:33 +0000

Rob if they are getting grumpy about warranty claims at you as their customer then I say find someone else. Personally being a grease monkey I take pride in my work and in the event I do have a warranty (we all have em anyone who says otherwise is full of it) then I want to know about it so I can learn from it and do my best to prevent it happening again. This goes for anyone I have taught as an apprentice also.
It’s places that get angry etc about their screw ups or maybe it’s simply a premature failure that give all mechanics a bad wrap.

Own your mistakes and learn from them. If it’s a premature failure the part supplier to some extent is footing the bill.

As for the issue at hand.
Definitely not nice.
Could be any of the above.
Another thing to look at is the driveshaft and it’s bearings etc. make sure nothing wrong there (uni joints out of alignment, damaged center bearing etc.) if any of this fell apart during removal of transmission then it may have not be put back together right. But this shouldn’t be causing the ticking clicking you said (that to me sounds like throw out bearing or pressure plate issue as already stated).

Hope you find an answer soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Postby Rob_Wood on Wed, 01 Feb 2023 6:12 +0000

Myralga wrote:Rob if they are getting grumpy about warranty claims at you as their customer then I say find someone else. Personally being a grease monkey I take pride in my work and in the event I do have a warranty (we all have em anyone who says otherwise is full of it) then I want to know about it so I can learn from it and do my best to prevent it happening again. This goes for anyone I have taught as an apprentice also.
It’s places that get angry etc about their screw ups or maybe it’s simply a premature failure that give all mechanics a bad wrap.

Own your mistakes and learn from them. If it’s a premature failure the part supplier to some extent is footing the bill.

As for the issue at hand.
Definitely not nice.
Could be any of the above.
Another thing to look at is the driveshaft and it’s bearings etc. make sure nothing wrong there (uni joints out of alignment, damaged center bearing etc.) if any of this fell apart during removal of transmission then it may have not be put back together right. But this shouldn’t be causing the ticking clicking you said (that to me sounds like throw out bearing or pressure plate issue as already stated).

Hope you find an answer soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myralga, I agree totally with everything you say here. I know what you're saying about owning an issue, I guess I've just had a few experiences over the years that were "less than favourable". Yes I did not go back to that particular individual following the experience, but was rather upset with the way I (and my friend) were treated by that person. In case you're wondering, it was back in the 1980s and it ended in court. We got the "New" components we originally paid for; not just second hand ones.
Rob_Wood

Return to Drive Train Components