Steering Trouble

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Steering Trouble

Postby sharp018 on Mon, 03 Jul 2017 9:12 +0000

I have a 06 dual cab lux

With an on going anooying issue

I went for a drive to Walhalla Vic, when my factory genuine steering rack decided to blow up ( by this I mean the boot on the right side got so full of steering fluid it burst )

Anyway it was either a $3,000 genuine rack from Toyota or a $650 one from.bursons

I got the Bursons after market one and I find when I do bush work the steering wheel will somehow uncenter it's self, I've notice the steering when going slow can sometimes make a loud bang knock noise.

I have 33 inch tyres on which tipping is the main cause
But just want to know what else it could be? I've checked the steering column shaft bolts to make sure there really tight which they are

Only other thing I can think of is the rack it's self but it isn't that old at all

And this only happens sometimes and the strangest thing if i go bush then stay on road for the next couple weeks it will recenter the steering wheel again.

At slow speed and stationary it will make the knocked bang noise, tie rods are also in good nic, have replaced sway bar bushes and d links.
sharp018

Re: Steering Trouble

Postby Gipsy on Tue, 04 Jul 2017 7:37 +0000

Something loose in there by the sounds of it.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Return to Drive Train Components