transfer case.

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

transfer case.

Postby dino12 on Wed, 27 May 2015 7:01 +0000

Have tried everything I can but still can't figure out which type of transfer case the hilux has. Is it a standard centre diff type where the front and rear drive shafts can turn at different speeds in 4wd or is it a simple driveshaft lock which turns front and rear driveshafts at the same speed by locking them together. All the handbook says is using 4wd on bitumen may damage components, which doesn't answer the question. Somewhere i read that both front and rear shafts are always being driven and a.d.d. facilitates the 4wd function. But it still doesn't explain if both the driveshafts are locked and turn at the same speed or if there is a centre diff which allows them to turn at different speeds. Any advice appreciated.
Cheers, Dave.
dino12

Re: transfer case.

Postby mitch_893 on Thu, 28 May 2015 4:48 +0000

No hilux has a centre diff.
They are part time 4wd.
On an SR, there is no a.d.d. This means the Front axels both turn; which turns the front prop shaft and the same speed as the rear prop shaft when driving normally. The transfer case when in 2high, means that whilst the 2 prop shafts are turning the same speed, they are not locked together at all. Meaning the rear wheels could slip and the front won't speed up at all

Sr5's which have add, just disconnects the front axels, basically so it uses less fuel.

I believe from what I've read though, the newer models with VSC, all have add regardless of it being an sr or sr5.

Prados run a centre diff, and are full time 4wd.

You can always tell because the 4wd stick will have on a hilux 2h, 4h 4l. 2 high 4 high and 4 low.
Prados will have 4h 4hl and 4ll. 4high unlocked. 4 high locked centre diff and 4 low locked centre diff.
06' D4D dual cab SR
Build thread

Cheers!
mitch_893

Postby dino12 on Thu, 28 May 2015 7:55 +0000

From what you are saying i get a message that in 4wd both prop shafts are locked together and turn together at the same speed. Is this correct??
dino12

Postby mitch_893 on Thu, 28 May 2015 8:03 +0000

correct, in 4wd, the transfer case locks both prop shafts. This is why you cannot use it on hard high traction surfaces, as when you turn, the front wheels will want to go a different speed, which causes wind up in the transfer case which will eventually equal a loud bang.
06' D4D dual cab SR
Build thread

Cheers!
mitch_893

Postby dino12 on Thu, 28 May 2015 9:12 +0000

Great. This is a very good system and very strong. Linked with the traction control on dirt and rocky ground about as good as you can get. With traction control and vsc turned off in sand it also works really well. Have used this set-up before and very pleased with it, although for extreme hard-core offroad a diff lock is better. Just comparing it to the diff lock and rear diff locker in the new about to be released hilux. I like the 3l d4d engine and the 4wd system is still more than adequate in all but extreme situations. Good enough to take it places it was never designed to go. no reason to upgrade as far as I'm concerned. Great.
Thanks for the info.
Dave
dino12

Postby marcoola on Sun, 18 Jun 2017 4:47 +0000

mitch_893 wrote:correct, in 4wd, the transfer case locks both prop shafts. This is why you cannot use it on hard high traction surfaces, as when you turn, the front wheels will want to go a different speed, which causes wind up in the transfer case which will eventually equal a loud bang.

what happens before the bang???
marcoola

Return to Drive Train Components