2018 SR Extra Cab Build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

2018 SR Extra Cab Build

Postby WhiteFrick on Mon, 20 Jan 2020 10:07 +0000

So in March 2018 I decided to pull the pin and buy a brand new SR extra cab. Something a bit more reliable than my 07 STi...

I flew down to Brisbane with my partner and we drove this bad boy all the way home to Darwin! What a great first trip in the new ute.

Naturally the mod list is forever having things added and forever having things changed.

The list so far is:
Exterior Inc. Tyres & Wheels
  • Ironman Deluxe Bullbar
  • Carbon 12K or Runva 11XP synthetic rope winch
  • Rock sliders
  • Phat bars bash plates
  • 1500 Lift Off Canopy
  • Rear Ladder Rack
  • Rhino Rack
  • Supapeg Rapid Wing Awning
  • Ironman Recovery Points
  • Rear Tow Bar
  • Suspension - Open to suggestions...
  • Nitto Ridge Grappler Tyres
  • Kings D Hole Wheels 17x8 0 offset
  • Dunn and Watson Aluminium Mud Guard
  • Dunn & Watson Aluminium Ute Tray Toolbox

Interior & Electrical
  • Focal KX2 Component Speakers
  • Kenwood DNX9190DABS Head Unit
  • Alpine PDX-F6 Amp
  • Dynamat/Car Builders Sound Deadening
  • Stedi ST3303 21.5" Light Bar
  • Stedi C-4 Diffuse LED Light Cube
  • Stedi Low Profile LED Floods
  • Stedi LED Headlight Upgrade
  • LED Bulb Interior Light Upgrade
  • GME XRS-370C UHF & Antenna
  • Dual Battery & Solar
  • Auxiliary Fuse Box (I know there's a stock one but I had parts laying around to make up a new one)
  • HSV Horn Upgrade (Holy hell that stock horn sounds like a fairy farting!)
  • ARB Compressor
  • Blackduck Seat Covers
  • 40L Engel Fridge/Freezer

Engine
  • Provent Catch Can
  • Pre-Filter

ONTO THE THINGS THAT HAVE HAPPENED SINCE MARCH 2019!

The drive up was fantastic. It was green nearly all the way and only had two near misses with bush turkeys and a wallaby.

As soon as we got home the ute got a good scrub.

First install was the Provent Catch Can. I bought it from Autobarn and scored 20% off after signing up to their mailing list. The bracket that I got with the kit is different to a few other peoples. I'm not sure why? It does make taking the airbox cover off a bit tough though...

Second install was a rear platform for the back set because lets be honest, its not like there are going to be too many passengers sitting back there and i have no intentions of having kids any time soon!
I scored a really great length of ply 30mm thick from bunnings for only $5 and a couple pieces of 70x35 and 89x19 pine for the legs. Chopped it all down to size and whacked it in the back.

Since the idea of having a large piece of timber rolling around freely in the back if I ever had an accident, I screwed in a basic tie down bracket on the bottom and have some cable on a couple of carabiners holding it to the seat belt bracket on the seat.

After having the dog slip and slide in the back for a while, it was time to add some tie downs and carpet. I went for bunnings spec marine carpet and some Grunt O-Track rails. I wanted the rails to sit flush with the timber/carpet so i routered out the channels for them. I also wanted to be able to have an Engel/Waeco held down comfortably so i made sure that the rails were far enough apart. I currently only have a 40ish liter Dometic Esky. Heres the build process for that bad boy!

Went for a two day trip out to Gunlom Falls in Kakadu with a couple of friends. I can honestly say that the stock suspension is crap... But the trip was great and the weather was even better.

After a few near misses from people apparently not being able to see a big blue Hilux, I decided that the stock horn had to go. It was an embarrassment to use. Went onto Facebook Marketplace and found a fella ripping apart a HSV Maloo. Scored the two horns for $20. Went on to wire them up with a mate and the end result was a HUGE improvement. I just used the old horn mounting spot and on the other side was an identical mounting spot for the secondary horn.

BEFORE:
https://youtu.be/xnVYa12tf-o

AFTER
https://youtu.be/Iemh4w6T-6Q

I had a couple of LED bulbs laying around so I traded the old bulbs in for those on the map lights. The white light makes it a lot easier to find things now

Since the tax man was so kind to me this year and I had the chance to buy the rear Stedi flood lights, an ST4k light bar (i'll be investing in a 3303 bar after I get the bullbar on. The ST4K will go on the girlfriends Rav4 after that) and a couple of Stedi push buttons to suit. This was my first time installing any lights so it was definitely a learning experience. Removing all the panels from inside was the easy part. The door seal plastic just pops out, as well as the rear seat backing and there's a handy grommet to feed the wires out into the wild. I originally planned for the floods to be under the tray but after I installed them there, I decided that the headboard was a better position. I don't feel that the light spread as well and actually made it harder to use the reverse camera. The light bar isn't installed yet but the wiring is in, I'm going to try and get a steel bracket made up so that it can sit in the grille. Like this https://i.imgur.com/8Osdfy6l.jpg

Package arrived and was very safely transported home

And then laid out for instagram

The little floods sat too far out on the bottom of the tray so I went to Bunnings and got a couple of little brackets to help mount the lights a little better. I didn't want the tailgate to drop and smack into them.

NO FLOODS:

FLOODS ON:

FLOODS INSTALLED HEADBOARD:

FLOODS ON HEADBOARD:

I mocked up the ST4K on the front grille with a couple of cable ties. Doesn't look like its going to be too out of place. I'm thinking about cutting the hole a little bigger than the light so I can put a line of pinchweld along it.

After doing all the wiring and having it sit in the engine bay, I figured it'd be a good idea to sort out an auxiliary fuse box. I know there's a stock one in there but I'm a massive fan of over engineering everything... Got myself a Narva 6 Way Fuse box, a couple of junction boxes, some relay holders and a circuit breaker. I'm going to mount all of this on a steel bracket just above where the second battery is usually put.

Heres the final layout of the auxiliary fuse block bracket and pieces.

I've cut the steel out and am just waiting on the motivation to bend the bracket and drill the holes. I'll be using rubber grommets for the cable holes, for obvious reasons.

I had a bunch of ratchet straps floating around in a Woolies bag, under the platform, got a Supercheap giftcard for Christmas and saw that they had some plastic ammo tins on sale. Snapped one of those up and it fits all the straps in quite well.
https://youtu.be/GTkw_qfTC3Y

I think that's it for now. I'll be updating once the light bar goes in and I'll probably find more photos that I haven't added yet.
WhiteFrick

Return to Member Build Ups