Picked up my new Hilux today

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Picked up my new Hilux today

Postby Mhewitt on Sun, 29 Jul 2018 4:45 +0000

Bit more work yesterday.

The Toyota HD steel tray is pretty good, but one frustration is how short the tie-down rails are. In front of the wheel, very short on the fuel side; over the wheel and in front of the wheel on the non-fuel side, a bit longer; behind the wheel, longest - but none of them fully span the available space.

Since I have installed under-tray boxes that occupy the space the rear set of tie-down rails occupied, I had the two longest ones free - and they neatly spanned the space above the wheel.

The mid-length ones from above the wheel went forward, ahead of the wheels, leaving me with one very short rail (from the fuel side) and one bit-longer one.

Happily, the very short rail fits behind the under-tray box...

...so all that remained to do was turn the bit-longer one into a very short one.

Dock it to length, remove the bracket with a cutting disc; weld it back on. My welding's pretty crap, so it ain't pretty, but it holds.

Done.

(I might have to lop a little off the front rail if I can't easily access the fuel filler - it's not as bad as it looks in this shot.)

Oh... and something a bit odd - the mudguards are mounted on a rail with a series of equally-spaced holes. The dealer had mounted one rear mudguard two holes further back than the other...
2017 graphite SR5 extra-cab
Mhewitt

Postby Mhewitt on Sat, 01 Sep 2018 11:37 +0000

It's looking a bit more like a ute now.

ARB Summit bullbar, Warn Magnum 10,000lb winch, Fyrlyt 9000 driving lights, Rhino tradie platform and wind deflector.

The winch control box has been left mounted to the winch, and concealed under the removable cover on the bullbar. The cover just pivots up on its rtwo rear mounting bolts. (Also note the front camera peeking out from the bullbar grille.)

It's getting a little full under the bonnet; Redarc dual-battery system, Provent catch can, Fuel Manager secondary fuel filter - you can (just) get away with Drivetech bonnet struts with a secondary battery.

Auxiliary switch locations are limited; it'd be neat to find someone with a 3D printer to print up an insert for the obsolete fuel flap lever to house another switch:

And a bit of electrical work. 50A Anderson out at towbar and front of tray, 50A Anderson inlet (blue) for solar; Engel and cigarette outlet at front of tray; Lightforce ROK-series worklights and reversing lights.

Still coming:
  • Safari ARMAX snorkel
  • Redarc 700W inverter
  • ARB compressor (not yet sure where I'll mount it)

Shout-out to Chris at Ian's Autoshop in Goulburn for his excellent work.
Last edited by Mhewitt on Sun, 02 Sep 2018 9:03 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Mhewitt

Postby Godzilla73 on Sat, 01 Sep 2018 12:00 +0000

Looking good mate, does the front camera show up on the standard screen or did you get an aftermarket head unit?
Godzilla73

Postby Mhewitt on Sat, 01 Sep 2018 12:09 +0000

Godzilla73 wrote:Looking good mate, does the front camera show up on the standard screen or did you get an aftermarket head unit?

Yes, standard screen. There's looms available on eBay (Carbon Car Systems, I think) that make it plug and play. I have both - one that allows the stock reverse camera to be shown to screen at any time via the Reverse Camera switch, and one that allows the front camera to be shown to screen. The only clunkiness is that shifting to reverse doesn't override the front camera switch.
Mhewitt

Postby Godzilla73 on Sat, 01 Sep 2018 12:18 +0000

Cheers, I'll look into it.
Godzilla73

Postby Silverfox1111 on Sat, 01 Sep 2018 4:27 +0000

Question on the dual cameras.
I've got the carbon systems loom for the rear & it's a good bit of gear. To set up for the front & rear cameras, have you bought 2 of these & joined them where they go into the head unit?
Silverfox
Silverfox1111

Postby Godzilla73 on Sat, 01 Sep 2018 5:02 +0000

Godzilla73

Postby Silverfox1111 on Sat, 01 Sep 2018 5:38 +0000

Thanks. Looks like I've got something else to buy now.
Silverfox1111

Postby Mhewitt on Sun, 02 Sep 2018 9:03 +0000

Silverfox1111 wrote:Question on the dual cameras.
I've got the carbon systems loom for the rear & it's a good bit of gear. To set up for the front & rear cameras, have you bought 2 of these & joined them where they go into the head unit?
Silverfox

What he said:

Mhewitt

Postby Mhewitt on Tue, 05 Mar 2019 5:12 +0000

So today a Beaudesert DPF-back exhaust with muffler delete pipe went on; together with the Safari ARMAX snorkel, the engine feels a lot "freer".

Whilst we were under there, an ARB 140L tank went in.

...and OME BP51s front & rear with 300kg leaf springs at the back.

It's getting close to finished now...

Although I'm tempted by an ARMAX piggy-back module. And I still haven't installed a compressor. Or a UHF, side-rails, and breathers... you're never really finished.
Mhewitt

Postby Mhewitt on Sun, 19 May 2019 3:26 +0000

I've spent rather too much time in the dash this weekend...

Heated seats, Focal IBUS 2.1 sub and turbo timer all went in.

Heated seats because it gets cold around here. As my Supafit covers stay on permanently, I just applied the heater pads to the outside of the stock upholstery.

The sub was on back-order and I had already installed front splits (tweeters in factory surrounds) and rear coaxials. Had I not already ordered and paid for the sub I wouldn't have bothered - the speaker upgrade alone made a huge difference.

Turbo timer is a bit of a bugger to fit; two wires from connectors at the back of the passenger footwell need to be spliced into. You should really only attempt this is you're both competent and confident... flexible helps too.

Mhewitt

Postby Mhewitt on Sun, 19 May 2019 3:42 +0000

I wasn't happy with my switches - I could get a colour match to the factory switches (from AOB, I think), but their text and graphics didn't match the factory, or I could get text and graphics to match factory (from several sources) but then the colour didn't match.

I ran out of switch spaces anyway, so pulled the pin on a set of Lightforce custom dual switches, replacing the factory switches as well so everything matches. Blue backlighting and green on active.

I've got switches for everything I have planned, even if I have not yet done it, as I could just see getting around to (say) installing a lightbar and going to buy a dual switch and finding them discontinued or changed to not match.

Centre console now has:
Stock USB/3.5mm input | Seat heater dial | Front camera/Rear camera | Front parking sensor/Rear parking sensor | VSC off/DAC | Front diff lock (not yet installed)/Rear diff lock

Right side has:
Driving lights/Lightbar (not yet installed) | Front work lights (not yet installed)/Rear work lights | TCC lock (not yet installed)/Idle up | Turbo timer | Compressor (not yet installed)/Inverter | Winch power

The dual switches have a common pole, so a little thought is needed when wiring things up.

I used a little 4ch relay board - meant for Arduino, etc. - for the rear parking sensor and camera circuits.

It all looks as if it came from the factory.
Mhewitt

Postby Godzilla73 on Sun, 19 May 2019 7:24 +0000

Did you use the dual camera harness from Carbon, check to see if the turn by turn and audio info still display on the MID in between the dials?

I returned 2 off them as it made the info disappear.
Godzilla73

Postby Mhewitt on Mon, 20 May 2019 5:55 +0000

Godzilla73 wrote:Did you use the dual camera harness from Carbon, check to see if the turn by turn and audio info still display on the MID in between the dials?

Yes, I found that too. They've omitted a couple of wires in one of the harnesses (can't remember which one now). I just added the missing wires and the multifunction display worked as it should.
Mhewitt

Postby Boblonghat on Mon, 20 May 2019 9:47 +0000

Mhewitt wrote:I've spent rather too much time in the dash this weekend...

Heated seats, Focal IBUS 2.1 sub and turbo timer all went in.

Heated seats because it gets cold around here. As my Supafit covers stay on permanently, I just applied the heater pads to the outside of the stock upholstery.

The sub was on back-order and I had already installed front splits (tweeters in factory surrounds) and rear coaxials. Had I not already ordered and paid for the sub I wouldn't have bothered - the speaker upgrade alone made a huge difference.

Turbo timer is a bit of a bugger to fit; two wires from connectors at the back of the passenger footwell need to be spliced into. You should really only attempt this is you're both competent and confident... flexible helps too.

How's the sub mate? I've done the focal upgrade front and rear as well and i've been eyeing off the sub as well. Is it worth it?
Boblonghat

Postby Mhewitt on Mon, 20 May 2019 1:42 +0000

Boblonghat wrote:
How's the sub mate? I've done the focal upgrade front and rear as well and i've been eyeing off the sub as well. Is it worth it?

It's good; fills out the bottom end well. Easy to install.

But - for my musical tastes - had I not bought it at the same time as the front splits and rear coaxials, I would not have gone back and bought it after installing the replacement door speakers. They were the big improvement; the sub, less so.
Mhewitt

Postby Mhewitt on Mon, 20 May 2019 3:19 +0000

An update, nearly 12 months in.

Bought the ute 10 months ago – 2017 SR5 extra-cab automatic in graphite – and had the dealer do the following:
* swap the tub for a Toyota HD steel tray, colour-coded black
* swap the five stock alloys for TRD matte black ones
* install Toyota towbar & electrics
* install Toyota front & rear rubber mats

Since then, it has had a bunch of work done - split between Ian’s Autoshop in Goulburn and me. Everything has been done as well as it can be done. All wiring is in corrugated tubing - added to existing tubing where possible, otherwise new; all connections are soldered and heat-shrunk. Where possible, parts are Toyota, and where not, everything is to a factory standard of finish.

I could find switches that matched the stock light blue night lighting, or switches that matched the stock graphics and fonts, but not both at once. All switches - including the original Toyota switches - now are Lightforce custom dual switches (save for winch power, which is a single switch); blue night light and green on active.

Drivetrain
* Safari ARMAX snorkel
* Beaudesert turbo-back exhaust w/muffler delete pipe
* Fuel Manager secondary fuel filter
* Provent 200 catch can
* Toyota Fortuner paddle-shift

Suspension
* Old Man Emu BP51 suspension kit, 2” lift
* five BF Goodrich KO2 265/60R18

Protection
* black ARB Summit bullbar
* black ARB Summit sidesteps with brush rails, tread plates powdercoated black
* PSR CV boot guards
* PSR transfer case guard
* PSR rear diff lock guard
* PSR rear shock guard
* black TRD front bash plate
* smoked Toyota bonnet protector
* Toyota headlight protectors
* Black Duck radiator mesh
* black denim SupaFit seat covers, centre armrest cover

Lighting
* two Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 24V halogen driving lights
* two Lightforce ROK40 LED work lights on headboard
* two Lightforce ROK20 LED reversing lights under tray

Electronics
* second battery kit - REDARC BCDC1225D with solar input on ARB behind-grille bracket, REDARC isolator, ARB battery tray
* REDARC 750W inverter installed under rear seat, switched at dashboard, 240V outlet installed between rear seat backs
* 120W solar panel semi-permanently installed to Rhino Platform with custom brackets
* 50A Anderson outlets at headboard and tow bar
* 50A Anderson solar input at headboard
* 12V accessory & Engel outlets at headboard and back of centre console
* one 12V accessory outlet on dash replaced with dual USB
* REDARC Tow-Pro Elite, remote installed at front of centre console
* reverse camera on-demand switch
* front camera, switched at dashboard
* Masten front parking sensors with override switch at dashboard
* Toyota rear parking sensors with override switch at dashboard
* Miccon auto-folding mirror controller
* Miccon turbo timer at dashboard
* seat heaters under seat covers, over stock upholstery
* Focal front door split speakers, tweeters in Toyota mountings with silver trim
* Focal rear door coaxial speakers
* Focal IBUS 2.1 powered sub installed under passenger seat, powered from auxiliary fuse box
* Hella Super Tone horns
* Toyota internal sensor TPMS

Cosmetics:
* matte black TRD grille & bonnet garnish
* matte black door handle covers & bowls
* matte black mirror covers
* matte black side mouldings
* removed door badges
* removed white TOYOTA tailgate decal

Misc.
* ARB 140l Frontier fuel tank
* Rhino Tradie Platform on lowline legs, with wind deflector
* Warn Magnum 10,000lb winch, controller concealed within bullbar, fairlead concealed behind hinged numberplate, power switched at dashboard
* fire extinguisher in front of driver’s seat on KAP Industries bracket
* blind-spot add-on fisheye mirrors
* smoked slimline weathershields
* two large gunmetal steel Kincrome under-tray toolboxes
* rearranged and modified tray tie-down bars to suit toolboxes
* Rival bonnet strut kit
* non-locking fuel cap, wired to fuel neck bracket

There’s a couple of fiddly things still to do - for instance, the seat heater dial switch has green night lighting and orange lighting on the dials when active, and all the other switches are blue night lighting and green on active. A steady hand and a magnifying hood and I should be able to swap out the SMC LEDs…

Future plans include:
* Safari ARMAX module
* Bud’s Customs Anytime Locker module
* Wholesale Automatics torque converter lockup module
* Stedi LED high beam bulbs
* two Lightforce ROK40 LED work lights on Bud’s Customs ditch light brackets
* two Lightforce 10” dual row LED lightbars, mounted splayed on the Rhino Platform for side-spread
* REDARC EGT/boost pressure and dual voltage gauges in twin A-pillar mount
* concealed UHF radio with handset controls
* ARB compressor mounted under tray, air outlets to either side
* ARB diff, gearbox and transfer case breathers
* ARB front recovery points
* Toyota rear recovery points
* Rhino Batwing awning on quick-lease mounts, with rear support bar to tray
* full-length Trundle tray
Last edited by Mhewitt on Mon, 20 May 2019 6:15 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Mhewitt

Postby Silverfox1111 on Mon, 20 May 2019 4:27 +0000

Mhewitt wrote:
Godzilla73 wrote:Did you use the dual camera harness from Carbon, check to see if the turn by turn and audio info still display on the MID in between the dials?

Yes, I found that too. They've omitted a couple of wires in one of the harnesses (can't remember which one now). I just added the missing wires and the multifunction display worked as it should.

G'day mhewitt
If you remember which wires you added, can you let us all know. I've got that kit & I've just ignored what is now gone cause i like having the switched camera but I would like to get those functions back.
Silverfox
Silverfox1111

Postby Mhewitt on Mon, 20 May 2019 6:12 +0000

Silverfox1111 wrote:
Mhewitt wrote:

G'day mhewitt
If you remember which wires you added, can you let us all know. I've got that kit & I've just ignored what is now gone cause i like having the switched camera but I would like to get those functions back.
Silverfox

There's no way I'll remember... half the time I forget what I just left the room for...

What I will do, though, is rip the head unit out (again!) and take a photo for you.
Mhewitt

Postby Mhewitt on Mon, 20 May 2019 6:24 +0000

And here's a slightly out-of-date photo. I think it's looking pretty good.

Mhewitt

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups