Crossroads - 2017 SR5

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Crossroads - 2017 SR5

Postby grunf on Sun, 28 Oct 2018 5:56 +0000

Hi mate, looks awesome.

ARB tank, how much lower it sits?
I am thinking about getting one, just concerned about loosing clearance.

How much did they charge you for tank and installation?

Cheers,
18 SR auto, Bullbar, winch, Snorkel, Towbar, TowPro, Stedi LED’s, Dobinsons GVM upgrade, Steel tray, Aluminium Canopy, ARB on-board air compressor, Diff breathers, BFG MT KM3 265/70-R17, Uneek4x4 rocksliders, Frontier LR fuel tank etc
grunf

Postby nuclear_hilux on Mon, 29 Oct 2018 5:44 +0000

grunf wrote:Hi mate, looks awesome.

ARB tank, how much lower it sits?
I am thinking about getting one, just concerned about loosing clearance.

How much did they charge you for tank and installation?

Cheers,

Hi Grunf,

The tank looks to have the same clearance as the factory tank. I didn't measure it before hand but it looks the same. ARB tout that it is longer not lower - I'm really happy with the tank and it's install.

I don't t have the receipt with me but from memory the tank was just over $1k and a couple of hundred to fit. Well worth it.

I just have to get them to fix all the other issues...

TK
nuclear_hilux

Postby grunf on Mon, 29 Oct 2018 7:11 +0000

Thank you
18 SR auto, Bullbar, winch, Snorkel, Towbar, TowPro, Stedi LED’s, Dobinsons GVM upgrade, Steel tray, Aluminium Canopy, ARB on-board air compressor, Diff breathers, BFG MT KM3 265/70-R17, Uneek4x4 rocksliders, Frontier LR fuel tank etc
grunf

Postby nuclear_hilux on Mon, 05 Nov 2018 3:26 +0000

I was poking around the engine bay this afternoon (another wiring plan being hatched) and came across a booboo. The shared gearbox and transfer case breather obviously got a little hot and melted!

I've popped in another breather (same type unfortunately), stuck some bigger conduit over the brass fitting and line, and zip tied it away from everything. I'll have to monitor this sucker closely top make sure this doesn't happen again.

I'm putting together a video review of the work ARB has recently done. I did take it back to them last Friday for them to fix the issues they'd created. They did some fixes... Not all though.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
nuclear_hilux

Postby nuclear_hilux on Sat, 17 Nov 2018 11:49 +0000

I still haven't gotten round to the ARB video. Promotion at work and the two kids had been keeping me busy.

I have however been buying stuff (thankfully cheap!) on Ebay to resolve issues. I got some heat shield for the breather. All fitted up and I think it'll do the job.

I also have worked out how I'll fix the constant power issue to the distribution board. This HUGE relay [emoji16]

With unning some big guage wires and moving one of the breathers it has all tied in nicely.

Just need to tap an ignition wire to close the relay.

nuclear_hilux

Postby nuclear_hilux on Sun, 25 Nov 2018 5:53 +0000

Sit-rep: the ARB Frontier tank is pretty awesome. 650km and only half a tank gone :)Image

I grabbed a few minutes and ripped the rear box off.

The CKMA12 compressor mounts nicely up inside the box and won't impact loading the inside up with recovery gear.

ImageImage

Cant even see it when the doors open!

nuclear_hilux

Postby nuclear_hilux on Sun, 25 Nov 2018 5:54 +0000

Snuck 20min in this afternoon and got the outlets and pressure switch plumbed.

nuclear_hilux

Postby grunf on Mon, 26 Nov 2018 9:03 +0000

Hi mate,

Could you post your total kilometers traveled on full ARB tank?

Cheers :)
grunf

Postby nuclear_hilux on Mon, 26 Nov 2018 9:57 +0000

grunf wrote:Hi mate,

I will once I get there! 3 weeks later and I am still rolling on the same tank (its been a light month of travel).
nuclear_hilux

Postby nuclear_hilux on Sat, 22 Dec 2018 10:12 +0000

So the day finally came! Whoo! CAMPER TIME!!! Well the day finally came in the form of a 1am start followed by 20 hours of driving to pick it up.

First up, though not the most exciting, they repaired the drawer underneath. Now I can fit it back in its original position, even with the bigger BP51 suspension.

And here she is, just need to name and christen her!
ImageImageImageImageImage

This is Tong Metal's one

And finally she's clipped on and ready to roll.

Result.

nuclear_hilux

Postby nuclear_hilux on Sat, 22 Dec 2018 10:13 +0000

grunf wrote:Hi mate,

Hi mate,

Don't know if it's too late for you but I'm confident that I can get 1150km per tank even when loaded. More than enough range for me.

TK

nuclear_hilux

Postby grunf on Sat, 22 Dec 2018 12:25 +0000

Much appreciated mate.
grunf

Postby nuclear_hilux on Sun, 14 Apr 2019 5:03 +0000

Well a million and one things have occurred since my last update. Largely I've been tieing off loose ends, but some of it is real progress.

Firstly, I wasn't planning on putting on sliders. That was until my better half backed into the factory steps. It looks better now but it's a pain in the a## too get in and out, not to mention how vulnerable my sills are. Sliders on their way [emoji3]

We relocated from Melbourne back to Sydney recently and accordingly I had to re-register in New South Wales. I was concerned that my plates would be too bogan (redneck) but they've really grown on me.

I got the gross vehicle mass upgraded to 3465kg. Lucky as I popped 990kg (2000+lb) in the tray [emoji16] to build a wall at home. Handled the weight super well.

ImageImage

I've been working on the electrics for the camper and got the anderson and aircraft plugs installed. In reality chuffed with how they turned out. I've used really heavy guage wire - shouldn't have any issues pulling 30+ amps in the charger. I flush mounted the connectors into the headboard of the tray.

ImageImageImageImage

Next post I'll update the air compressor wiring and a few other tidy ups.

nuclear_hilux

Postby nuclear_hilux on Thu, 25 Apr 2019 9:29 +0000

Almost a year after buying the compressor the install is finished! #betterlatethannever

I started by dissecting the loom on my work bench.

I worked out that the loom was going to be approx 5m too short as the compressor is mounted in the rear tool box. I used 5 core trailer wire to extend the main loom and 8b&s for the power wires. Super thick wiring means I shouldn't have any issues with voltage drop or heated wiring.
ImageImage

I used a mini gas torch to heat the join and filled it with solder. Worked ok but because it was a small torch it took ages to heat and some strands got displaced. It's a solid join and will not be a point of resistance, but it's ugly.

Next up was thrashing it through the box. I used a stepper sheet metal bit to make the hole, lined it wirng a grommet and pulled the wiring through.
ImageImage

The wiring is all wrapped up in corrugated conduit and cable tied along the chassis to the engine bay then into the cabin. I've used a factory style plug and popped it down by the drivers knee. Image

I've wired it up so the car has to be running for the compressor to turn on. A little protection against draining the battery.

I've also picked up some surplus Korean War jerry cans. They're in great nick and could probably hold fuel still but I have plans on turning them into bins for the back of the camper. Is it a waist?

All of this work was finished off with some tasty local brews, like this goat [emoji16]

nuclear_hilux

Previous

Return to Member Build Ups