Crossroads - 2017 SR5

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Crossroads - 2017 SR5

Postby nuclear_hilux on Sun, 29 Apr 2018 5:00 +0000

Standard is boring, mundane. I've always had a need to modify cars, making them unique and often completely awesome and impractical. After many sports cars (BNR32, 240z, xr5, classic mini cooper s) I realized that I should buy a vehicle that aligned with my love of exploration and adventure.

In 2013 I bought a bone stock JK Wrangler and drove it off the showroom floor.

Over the next four years I did so much to the Jeep . 2 sets of wheels, 3 different suspension setups, 2 winches, bar work, roof racks, armour... I learnt lots. This vehicle took me on adventures in 4 states, including Cape York and Fraser Island.

Image Image

After our last big trip to South Australia the reality of Jeep ownership sunk in... Its amazing offroad. With good suspension nothing new can really touch them, but ongoing reliability issues and completely atrocious onroad handling meant I needed to move on. Around this time I got a interstate contract and when we moved our new apartments garage was too low for the jeep - the decision, whilst hard, made sense. I sold the Jeep.

Ultimately I wanted to build an expedition spec 200 series cruiser but as we know they're not cheap. I decided to buy another import and save my pennies. Here's my 98' Toyota Chaser.

Add WORK wheels, TEIN suspension, a fat exhaust and dark tint and you have a reasonably cheap, fast and fun street car. Apparently some mongrels at Melbourne Airport's Wilson security capital thought the same because it was stolen when I flew out for business overnight. [emoji35]

I was angry and at a loss. My plan had been to save money and wait to build an international expedition 200 series yet I'd lost money (it was insured). I was back in the market for a vehicle 2 months after buying the Chaser. GRRRRrrr..

I decided I'd test drive some utes and it won't be a surprise to hear the 'lux came out on top. I managed to find one with 3500km on it and picked it up for a song.

I am still planning on building an truck capable of long term international expeditions as well as domestic travel. To that end I'm saving pennies to ensure that everything done is of the highest standard.

First step: get some better tyres. 265/65/r18 ko2. I am really impressed with this tyre. I had the on my jeep and despite me hammering them I got great mileage, never had a puncture or major chipping issue.

Extended breathers. There's a million of these buggers on the n80! I brought the rear diff up to the engine bay and got the front diff done add still. I still need to do the gearbox and transfer case. I extended the smaller breathers higher.

I have put some seat covers on. I'll post some photos soon.

Lastly, this weekend past I put on the uneek 4x4 empire bar.

ImageImageImage

I'll be back soon with more updates. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
nuclear_hilux

Re: Crossroads - 2017 SR5

Postby iller on Mon, 30 Apr 2018 3:26 +0000

Great set of wheels :D
iller

Postby nuclear_hilux on Mon, 30 Apr 2018 5:28 +0000

Tyre pressure monitoring.

I'm pretty diligent with tyre pressures, particularly when on a trip. However laziness does set in occasionally so having a something to check with a glance will be great. In doing some late night dreaming I stumbled onto these.

It fits into a blank switch panel and illuminates blue - hopefully not too different from the factory colour. The sensors fit onto the valve stem which isn't as ideal as internal sensors but it does mean I can swap them round when I rotate the wheels.

They arrive in a couple of weeks and I'll document the install.

nuclear_hilux

Postby Scoobalimalima on Mon, 30 Apr 2018 7:01 +0000

I'll be interested to see the result of the tire pressure monitoring setup.

SLL
Scoobalimalima

Postby Merkin on Tue, 01 May 2018 4:10 +0000

Looks good mate!
I’ll also be watching the tyre pressure install with interest. I’m Hoping to get something I can run through the head unit via an av plug...
Merkin

Postby nuclear_hilux on Tue, 01 May 2018 6:30 +0000

Merkin wrote:Looks good mate!
I’ll also be watching the tyre pressure install with interest. I’m Hoping to get something I can run through the head unit via an av plug...

I'll keep you posted.

nuclear_hilux

Postby nuclear_hilux on Sat, 02 Jun 2018 5:39 +0000

Collecting a few more goodies [emoji41]

The tyre pressure monitoring kit turned up. I'm reasonably happy with the quality of it at face value. I'll hopefully be getting to the install within the next couple of weeks.

I also paid a visit to my local ARB dealer who gave me a few bucks off [emoji3]

I've done the cheap compressor route in the past and its always been a pain. Hoses leaking or splitting, noisy and getting burnt when packing it pack in the car.

No longer.

ImageImage

Also hoping to get these installed within the next few weeks.

nuclear_hilux

Postby nuclear_hilux on Sun, 03 Jun 2018 6:45 +0000

I got round up giving the interior a clean up and took some pictures of the car seat covers. I went for a water proof neoprene cover to ensure that the kid's spills and beach trips don't affect the seats.
ImageImage

nuclear_hilux

Postby nuclear_hilux on Tue, 07 Aug 2018 7:45 +0000

Collecting a few more goodies [emoji41]

The tyre pressure monitoring kit turned up. I'm reasonably happy with the quality of it at face value. I'll hopefully be getting to the install within the next couple of weeks.

I also paid a visit to my local ARB dealer who gave me a few bucks off [emoji3]

I've done the cheap compressor route in the past and its always been a pain. Hoses leaking or splitting, noisy and getting burnt when packing it pack in the car.

No longer.

ImageImage

Also hoping to get these installed within the next few weeks.

nuclear_hilux

Postby nuclear_hilux on Tue, 07 Aug 2018 7:47 +0000

I bought the breather kit from Ebay. It's a generic kit and looks something like this :

I then bought some corrugated conduit and put that around the air lines to protect them.

Because the Hilux's breathers are hard to get to at their origin (e.g. top of the gearbox) I've been extending the factory lines. To date I've done this by some plastic joiners but I've never been happy with the quality of install or realistic longevity.

Tonight I bought the proper solution, brass barbs with the push fittings on the end. I'll be able to finish my install.

nuclear_hilux

Postby nuclear_hilux on Wed, 08 Aug 2018 7:56 +0000

I was lucky this afternoon and got some time to play in the garage.

First order of business; check the bull bar bolts, tighten where necessary and mark them with paint pen to easily see when they're shaking loose.

ImageImage

All done [emoji16]

Then onto the breathers. I'll need to double check but I'm reasonably certain the transfer case and auto box share a breather as the was only one large bore hose. There are two more lines running to the same location but I think they're for electronic actuators. I'll need some different fittings for them.

Hard to see down the back of the engine!

I pulled the old breather off to fit the new raised line fitting.

You can see the little teeth that catch the air line and make it airtight.

And the breathers done.
ImageImage

There's some more goodies in the mail now [emoji16]

nuclear_hilux

Postby nuclear_hilux on Wed, 08 Aug 2018 7:57 +0000

It's been a big and expensive few weeks! I found a slide on camper online that looks like it would survive the outback and after visiting Tong Metals workshop I was so impressed that I threw down the deposit on a new tray and camper!

The tray is fully aluminum, has two under tray boxes, a sliding drawer at the back, a 38L and another 17L water tank and recessed tie down points. I'm having the tray powder coated to match the cab. I should get delivery of the tray in August.

ImageImageImage

The camper is simply awesome. It has room to stand two people easily in the back, a proper inner spring queen size mattress, sliding screen door ay the back, built in stairs and a roof rack on top. I got a 270deg awning spec'd as well. It should end up weighing in around 350kg.

We can jack the camper off using quick release buckles and have a sweet base camp in no time.

We didn't fit the inside out with Tong's spec as we want to play around with the design when we get it.

Unfortunately we won't get the camper till close to Christmas.
ImageImageImage

This is what our inside will look like initially.

nuclear_hilux

Postby nuclear_hilux on Wed, 08 Aug 2018 7:59 +0000

A new toy arrived today. The XRS UHF is arguably the best hand held radio in the market. With the mic and speaker all in the handset it should be a very tidy install. [emoji3]

Whilst I'd love to install this and my other gear, ah... yesterday, due to work and family commitments I have to be contented with stock piling!

nuclear_hilux

Postby CB23 on Wed, 08 Aug 2018 10:43 +0000

Wow cool looking Hilux you've got there, top choice of kit!
Congrats
CB23

Postby nuclear_hilux on Wed, 08 Aug 2018 5:27 +0000

CB23 wrote:Wow cool looking Hilux you've got there, top choice of kit!
Congrats
Thanks mate! It's getting there.

So another good parts day!

I got the 4700 series GME antenna for Crossroads today. This sucker is PHAT! I had a cheaper antenna on my JK Wrangler and it shook itself to pieces with corrugated roads. This time I'm really trying to buy Australian made and buy high quality. The cheap man pays twice.

The best part is the antenna unscrews so I can change the db to bigger or smaller as required. I'll likely get a 6.6db antenna to complement this 2.1db. Image

I also got a catch can kit specific for the GUN126R. The Provent 200 actually filters the air out of the engine so only clean air enters the inlet. Best part, it has a drain plumbed into the base so it can be easily serviced.

On a sad note, I won't see the car for another 3 weeks. It leaves tomorrow to have the tray fitted in Brisbane. I'll fly up and make the two day drive home in late July. Last time you'll see it looking like this.

Can't wait!

nuclear_hilux

Postby nuclear_hilux on Wed, 08 Aug 2018 5:30 +0000

It's back!!! In two days I flew to Brisbane and drove 1850km home. I'm knackered and quite happy with the result.

The tray has a lot of features including a 38L food grade water tank, a second 16L water tank built into the aluminum frame, 6 recessed tie down points, 2x sealed side toolboxes and a sealed drawer.

The camera has been relocated as well and still works like factory.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

nuclear_hilux

Postby nuclear_hilux on Wed, 08 Aug 2018 5:33 +0000

So obviously the last few posts are catching NewHilux on the build. Now we're up to date.

The parts hoarding continues [emoji3].

I have wanted to keep the dash super clean and factory looking. So rather than a carling switch (which ARB supplies) I got these from STEDI.

Because the GME radio's handset has both a microphone and speaker in it I'll be able to hide the rest in the dash.

I've got a few nights without the kids and wife coming up in a few weeks and am hoping I'll get some install time.

nuclear_hilux

Postby nuclear_hilux on Fri, 17 Aug 2018 12:49 +0000

Mission accomplished! I just spent 30 minutes browsing genuine Toyota accessories at Bangkok Toyota. Super friendly staff and the best bit... parts are 1/3 the price! I pick up my goody bag tomorrow afternoon.

It's pretty cool to see dealers building their own 'specials'. They had this "Godzilla" and another called "Monster" on display.

nuclear_hilux

Postby Phrancis on Fri, 17 Aug 2018 1:37 +0000

Hi mate check out this CB install.
Keeps it tidy.
Phrancis wrote:Install IC-450 UHF 2017 SR5.
Behind drivers kick panel.
Mic mount A-pillar grab handle.
Tidy install.

Phrancis

Postby Myralga on Fri, 17 Aug 2018 7:07 +0000

Phrancis wrote:Hi mate check out this CB install.
Keeps it tidy.
Phrancis wrote:Install IC-450 UHF 2017 SR5.
Behind drivers kick panel.
Mic mount A-pillar grab handle.
Tidy install.

All GME basically bolt straight into the factory holes in that spot. Love it when toyota “accidentally” make something work for someone else.

Nice tray mate like the build so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Next

Return to Member Build Ups