RJ's 2017 SR5

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

RJ's 2017 SR5

Postby rjo89 on Sat, 06 Jan 2018 9:02 +0000

Hi all,

Been lurking around for a while and thought I'd post up an intro.

Have recently purchased a Dec 2017 build SR5 Dual Cab in Manual. I've come from a 2001 GU Patrol that blew up 3 times (3L motor at its finest) and then bought a 2007 Mazda BT50 Freestyle Cab that I kitted out to the max. Eventually grew out of that and wanted something a bit newer and a bit comfier, so ended up with the Lux. And couldn't be happier with the choice.

Bought it completely stock with the intention of building it into a very capable 4WD tourer. The BT did a fair bit of off road driving, including going to Cape York in May 2017 and spending most of its life in the high country (lived in Bairnsdale).

Don't have any photos of the lux dead stock but the Toyota website can fix that up. Got 265/65R18 BFG A/T KO2's fitted the other day and it looks a lot tougher. Scrubs a little on full lock but nothing a mudflap removal won't fix. Plans are to throw an aluminium canopy on the back and kit it out as a tourer. Might take a while as the bank balance builds up though!

Heading up to Fraser on 28/1 for a month so will let you know how she goes on the sand!

BFG's

And the old girl the day I got rid of her
Last edited by rjo89 on Sat, 13 Jan 2018 9:06 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
rjo89

Re: RJ's 2017 SR5

Postby DeadlyBeast on Sat, 06 Jan 2018 11:49 +0000

G'Day RJ and welcome to the forum

Good start to the new rig - those tyres are tough
Noticed the postage envelope size mudflap in the front end of the rear wheel arch - is that stock?

This forum contains an almost endless array of knowledge about the Toyota Hilux and over the years a lot of topics, questions and issues have been addressed. In order to get the most out of the forum and in an attempt to try and keep the information in an organised (well semi :lol: ) manner, use the search function at the top of the page and ask your questions or contribute to existing threads as much as possible.

Here are some useful links to help you get the most out of this forum.

Search
Advanced Search
Search Members Shed's (Start your own shed 8-) Its easy)
How to post pictures
Sandpit - An area for new members to experiment with posting pictures
Budget mods $50 or less - quick cheap awesome mods to get you started
Forum Directory (BIBLE WIP) - quick links to popular stuff
Oh and the Forum Guidelines, Forum Guidelines

Happy reading and posting
DeadlyBeast

Postby rjo89 on Sat, 13 Jan 2018 9:07 +0000

G'day Deadly.

The whole truck is dead stock except for the tyres. Those little mudflaps are easy to remove so they'll be coming off to stop the scrubbing at full lock. Looks like that's as easy as it is, won't need to heat and bend anything.
rjo89

Postby rjo89 on Sat, 13 Jan 2018 9:20 +0000

So the last few days have been pretty busy. Fitted a second battery tray from Air On Board (ebay - $155) which is made for a Exide LCS27-97 battery, which is a 97AH deep cycle available from Anaconda (on special got it for $185)

The Projecta IDC25 DC-DC charger is also from eBay, including 2x midi fuse holders and 2x 40A fuses, was $299 delivered, which is an absolute bargain I reckon.

Quality of the battery tray is good, battery charger even better. Ran 8B&S cabling throughout as per recommendation in the instruction manual. That'll be the same size I get down to the tray.

Having read all the information contained on this forum, I took some good lessons out of it, namely to install the battery controller on the bracket before installation in the car, as there is very VERY little room in the car after it's installed. So that's what I did. The battery tray comes as two parts, and you bolt the battery charger bracket to the tray, then install everything after that. Will see how it goes with the heat from the engine bay but I'm happy with where it is for now.

The battery tray is bolted down in 4 locations, and can be a bit confusing to start with. One of the bolts (passenger side front) is threaded through a captive nut in the wheel arch. The Drivers side front feeds through a pre-existing hole in the arch and is washered and nutted from underneath. The Driver's side rear feeds through and it washered and nutted from underneath as well, but I installed two washers between the tray and the wheel arch to level it out a bit more. Then after those three are installed, you drill through the wheel arch and install the rear passenger side bolt through the arch with a washer and nut from underneath. Pretty easy overall.

Then you remove the plastic clips on the passenger side bonnet lip, and mark where the slit in the plastic is and drill 2x 9mm holes in the guard, before installing nutserts in there. These are then used to hold the support bracket with M6 bolts, before everything is reinstalled and secured.

The battery was an absolute nightmare to squeeze in, but it does go. Remove the accessory fuse box, the lid off the factory fuse box and pre-bend the wiring on the firewall to accommodate the battery. Slide it in, with much swearing, then bolt it down.

Positives were installed with the supplied 40A Midi Fuses, grounds bolted onto the factory one behind the accessory fuse box. I left the ignition wire open and it appears to be working fine, charging and isolating as it should. Any questions feel free to ask!
rjo89

Postby Critter350 on Mon, 15 Jan 2018 4:35 +0000

Good clean work. Have you got a photo inside the ‘accessory fuse’ holder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Critter350

Postby rjo89 on Tue, 16 Jan 2018 4:57 +0000

Photos of the accessory fuse holder. Pretty nifty little holder, and can easily swap the supply from the main battery to the aux battery if required.

rjo89

Postby Luxo33 on Thu, 15 Feb 2018 2:48 +0000

Nice looking ride you have there. Do you have any links for the accessory fuse holder? The images aren't loading
Luxo33

Postby rjo89 on Tue, 20 Feb 2018 6:50 +0000

Not sure why the images weren't working, I've attached them again.

rjo89

Postby rjo89 on Tue, 16 Oct 2018 5:47 +0000

Been a long time since I posted on here, and a fair bit has happened to the truck in that time. So I'll start from the beginning!

Part of the reason I went for silver when I bought the car was the intention to buy an aluminium canopy for the back purely for a camping setup, so that's exactly what I did! Drove up to Mates Rates Tools in NSW (ripper blokes) where they installed my 1800mm x 1800mm aluminium dual cab canopy and tray, plus an undertray drawer and twin side toolboxes and ladder racks. Was an absolute bargain and I'm more than stoked with it. They installed it in a few hours and I drove away happily back to Melbourne with my newly limited rear vision!

From there I realised that I needed to do something about the power situation to the back, so I built a false headboard at the cab end, and mounted a switch panel to it. The power and ground wires ran through the aluminium with some waterproof glands and to the second battery in the back.

That was it for a while, so I just took it camping for a while...

But it was never going to be enough. So I bought a few extra bits and pieces and rebuilt the entire headboard, including an ARB twin compressor, Projecta Inverter and some anderson plugs. The wiring from the front was upgraded to 2B&S to accommodate the compressor, then I needed somewhere to mount the fridge and drawer setup that I had in mind. So I built a floor for it, and got a tilt fridge slide. The drawers I just built some boxes and carpeted them, and they're lightweight plastic options from bunnings, which work an absolute treat.

And the Mrs bought me (and her no doubt!) a Travel Buddy oven, and it made me wonder how I ever survived without one until now. One of the best camping inventions ever made, hands down!

So now that the back was set up, I needed to work on the 4wding part of things, and what is it without some protection. Went for an Ironman Deluxe Commercial bar, 4WD Supacentre Winch and spotties, GME XRS UHF radio with RFI 5.5 dBi antenna, and Ironman Recovery Points and fitted it all in an afternoon. Starting to look like a real 4WD!

As I type, it's currently getting a Safari Snorkel installed, and I've ordered a Superior Engineering Remote Reservoir 2in lift that I'm waiting to be delivered as well. All prepping for a Tassie trip in a few weeks that I'm hanging for!
rjo89

Postby rjo89 on Tue, 16 Oct 2018 5:57 +0000

Oh, and she went well on Fraser too. Got bogged once on Ngkala Rocks after a heap of idiots went through on highway pressures and destroyed the track. Tried to help them out so we could get through (because none of them had any recovery gear) and one of them in a 79 series Cruiser shredded the hell out of one of my TREDs. Note to self, don't offer to help anyone that isn't helping themselves.

Worth it all for that view though...

rjo89

Postby Critter350 on Tue, 16 Oct 2018 11:42 +0000

Nice looking canopy. I love the rear drawer and rear quarter tool boxes - do you think they are a bit exposed for slipping sideways out of a rut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Critter350

Postby rjo89 on Wed, 17 Oct 2018 7:46 +0000

Critter350 wrote:Nice looking canopy. I love the rear drawer and rear quarter tool boxes - do you think they are a bit exposed for slipping sideways out of a rut?

I hadn't thought about it to be honest, but I'm not overly concerned. They've been through a bit already and no damage yet, fingers crossed it never happens!
rjo89

Return to Member Build Ups