Dan's Extra Cab UK

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Dan's Extra Cab UK

Postby dan@biali on Thu, 16 Feb 2017 1:55 +0000

Just picked up my Extra Cab. Plans aren't as intensive as some on here, but got some parts I want to change and add to the basic spec from factory.

Upgrade/plans list:

Stereo - no nav or dab options from factory so I've bought a Pioneer Avic F88 DAB with a reversing camera. Hoping to use a roof mount aerial for dab antenna and the gps for the nav.

Suspension - sourced an Icon kit from the States. Basic 2" lift for a bit of tyre clearance and to level the front

Tyres - BF Goodrich AT K02 265/70/17

Headlights - hopefully I've ordered genuine xenons from Thailand and the correct loom

Foglights - found the part number for the genuine Toyota kit. Comes with loom and switch.

Rear lights - I've gone for the Mars Performance full LED. Will see what they look like on before I decide if I'm keeping them (I much prefer that OEM+ look to things)

Found that Toyota offer a soft tonneau cover so picked that up when I collected the truck. Requires a couple of holes drilling into the rail of the ladder rack and a piece rivetting on, but other than that they are simple under rail clamps which means its not too hard to remove or put on.

Electric retractable side steps - probably a bit over the top but will be useful for anyone shorter than me getting in and out - often got my mum or my nieces getting in and out. That has arrived just now from Tyrant 4x4.

Think I've found good looking fender flares. Looked at quite a few and the ones from jeepy jeeper just looked cheap and nasty to me. Whether the ones from Trek 4x4 are better only time will tell but they look well styled and they are prepared to deal with me although I have to arrange my own shipping. They don't list them on their website but found a listing on gumtree with their name on the photo.

Switches - ended up getting some extra switches from Stedi as Newpro were a pain to get a response from. These will eventually control extra driving lights, rear work lights and a light bar, plus I bought a switch for winch control in case I ever fit one.

Grill - haven't found one I liked so I've been thinking I might build something. Like the Ford Raptor ones so I've bought a spare grill to cut up and some mesh.

Bit of photoshop and this is where I hope to end up.

dan@biali

Re: Dan's Extra Cab UK

Postby Festus uk on Thu, 16 Feb 2017 4:13 +0000

Looks good apart from the fender flares !! sorry but without monster wheels makes it look like a fat tart on stilettos , Ive had a extra cab since july like it , pity Toyota GB are such a crap outfit , they don't really seem to be that bothered about the hilux and offering options is a dirty word ... oh and where is the 2.8 and the petrol the 2.4 is a bit Meh ...
Festus uk

Postby dan@biali on Fri, 17 Feb 2017 2:02 +0000

I'm hoping the flares I've ordered look less like the tart you are describing! These are the ones I've got with the same size tyres I'll be fitting.

Bit of carbon wrapping using 3m 1080 to smarten up the very basic interior. Was a total pain doing this part and its not perfect.

Fitted the all LED taillights too. They have the Audi style indicators that scroll across.

dan@biali

Postby iller on Fri, 17 Feb 2017 2:13 +0000

Would be great with links to where you order stuff from :)
iller

Postby iller on Fri, 17 Feb 2017 5:11 +0000

Thanks!
iller

Postby dan@biali on Sun, 19 Feb 2017 12:33 +0000

Fitted my ez down tailgate damper kit today (from 4x4at.com). Bit of a struggle with some of the bolts but a bit of brute force won the day.

dan@biali

Postby JMR on Sun, 19 Feb 2017 6:17 +0000

Following this thread mate! I'm in the UK and have been toying with getting a hilux and doing this. Please keep the pictures coming, much appreciated
JMR

Postby JMR on Sun, 19 Feb 2017 6:18 +0000

Following this thread mate! I'm in the UK and have been toying with getting a hilux and doing this. Please keep the pictures coming, much appreciated
JMR

Postby dan@biali on Sun, 19 Feb 2017 6:35 +0000

Will do! And I'll make sure to keep the suppliers list updated. Hopefully with more uk owners modifying theirs we can get uk suppliers interested. Having to import parts from Australia is doubling the cost of parts.
dan@biali

Postby dan@biali on Fri, 10 Mar 2017 12:07 +0000

Been prepping parts ready to be fitted. These are the fog surrounds with 3M 1080 carbon wrap on them. Was time consuming but I wanted to do something different to the chrome.

The truck has been dropped off for massive list of bits to be sorted:

- Xenon headlights (these are the Thai ones from ebay with looms that look to be genuine Toyota)
- Fog lights
- Pioneer head unit, reverse camera and DAB aerial - hoping to use the aerial from a VW Caddy which goes inside the wing mirror. Will update if this works
- Retractable side steps
- Satin black badges (bodyshop painting these)
- Colour matched front bumper
- Fender flares
- Upgraded horn (wow, how pathetic is the standard one!)
- Paint correction and sealed with gtechnic crystal serum
- Full body paint protection film (bit over the top but this is my first brand new vehicle and I got such a great deal from the detailer it was hard to say no!)

As I mentioned in the suspension thread, I'm bit stuck for a 2" lift kit. I had bought an Icon kit which was replacement front shocks and rear dampers to discover it doesn't work on the Gen 8 and it seems they didn't even realise. Hoping they have a kit in the pipeline as its quality stuff.

Should be back to me in a couple of weeks but will update as and when I get pictures.
dan@biali

Postby Caleebra on Sat, 11 Mar 2017 3:23 +0000

Looking good so far Dan! Cant wait to see the car after you get it back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Arne from Norway here, glad to chat with you -

Instagram: @arnlux_adv
Facebook: - Arn's Lux Adventure -
:D
Caleebra

Postby dan@biali on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 2:10 +0000

The truck is ready - took bit longer than expected as got held up with parts. Gave up with the flares, they didn't fit well and the double sided tape wouldn't hold them.

Got the Icon kit to work using the arb relocators from TJM and spacing the lower radiator/skid plate brackets. I got persuaded to get window tints (light smoke front and dark on the rears), front and rear Blackvue dashcams, and a pair of Recaro Expert M seats with better bolsters. Had to get custom subframe made to get them to fit. Also had some D-track fitted for ease of restraining cargo. More pics once I've picked it up.

dan@biali

Postby aedeau on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 7:55 +0000

What horn did you fit? The stock one in the aussie spec workmate is poxy as. I've just fit a stebel compact truck horn and its louder, but if I were to do it again I'd get something with trumpets.
aedeau

Postby dan@biali on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 2:06 +0000

Same here in the UK. I had a Hella Sharp Tone kit fitted. Sounds more like an Audi horn.
dan@biali

Postby dan@biali on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 11:24 +0000

Little bit of carbon vinyl around the gearstick.

dan@biali

Postby Critter350 on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 7:49 +0000

Nice work mate, looking sharp.

Cheers
Crit
Critter350

Postby Bschotty on Sun, 30 Jul 2017 6:52 +0000

dan@biali wrote:The truck is ready - took bit longer than expected as got held up with parts. Gave up with the flares, they didn't fit well and the double sided tape wouldn't hold them.

Got the Icon kit to work using the arb relocators from TJM and spacing the lower radiator/skid plate brackets. I got persuaded to get window tints (light smoke front and dark on the rears), front and rear Blackvue dashcams, and a pair of Recaro Expert M seats with better bolsters. Had to get custom subframe made to get them to fit. Also had some D-track fitted for ease of restraining cargo. More pics once I've picked it up.

Those tail lights are the ducks nuts. Might have to invest in a pair! You went with the backing light upgrade? How do they compare to stock?

- Ben
Bschotty

Postby dan@biali on Sun, 30 Jul 2017 7:27 +0000

Backing light upgrade?
dan@biali

Postby Bschotty on Sun, 30 Jul 2017 12:37 +0000

dan@biali wrote:Backing light upgrade?
On the mars performance website it lists a super bright backing led as an option for two of the tail light styles. It's not an option on the dynamic indicator version so I'd assume the upgraded backing lights are part of the package...
Bschotty

Next

Return to Member Build Ups