Stopel's Dual Cab SR 4x4

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Stopel's Dual Cab SR 4x4

Postby Mattstopel on Fri, 01 Jul 2016 7:32 +0000

Hi Guys,

I bit the bullet and purchased a HiLux and picked it up on Tuesday. Super happy with how it all turned out. I have always been a big fan of Toyota's and it is sensational to get back into one after several years.

Picked the Car up with the following mods from the dealer

2016 SR Manual Dual Cab in Graphite
17x9 +5 T-05 Tuff rims with 265/70r17 BFG KM2
2 inch Bilstien Lift with king springs
TJM Bull Bar
TJM Side Steps
TJM Rear Bar
TJM Underbody protection
Piranah Dual Battery Tray
Tinting
Soft Torneau Cover
Gotaya Covered Denim front seat covers
Sand Grabba floor mats

I have a few plans for the car, nothing too major but just to improve the functionality for weekends away.

Immediate/Current Plans
Redarc BCDC Charger with Solar
9inch LED Driving Lights
Rear work lights
Power in Tray for fridge
Aux Battery power in Cabin for constant power to USB and cigarette lighter
Install warn winch from previous car
Drive it!

Future plans
TJM Brushbars
Roof Top camper set up over the rear tray

Long-Long Term plans
4 inch kit with diff drop and 33s

Here are some photos from the phone, heading away on Monday to Double Island point and Levuka so i will get more photos then with the camera.

Also a few pictures of the bracket i made for the Redarc

Mattstopel

Re: Stopel's Dual Cab SR 4x4

Postby deccas on Sat, 02 Jul 2016 2:11 +0000

she looks beuat mate, with that rear bar, has the tub been chopped at all?
deccas

Postby Mattstopel on Sat, 02 Jul 2016 7:44 +0000

thanks mate

it is a TJM RB6 bar, no modifications bolts straight up.
Mattstopel

Postby BReidy94 on Fri, 19 Aug 2016 3:46 +0000

Any more close ups of the rear bar? Looking at putting one on the new one. Just keen to see the tolerances between tub/bar, the mounting points etc. What's your opinion on it and more importantly is it worth the coin?

Cheers!
BReidy94

Postby master_manoj on Sun, 21 Aug 2016 6:09 +0000

Really Cool Looking RIg Mate

Enjoy it :D
2006 D4d (auto) :roll:
master_manoj

Postby Mattstopel on Mon, 23 Oct 2017 2:35 +0000

Bit of an update and progress coming up. keen to hear peoples thoughts and suggestions. Not interested in uninformed heresay about strut spacers, but open to suggestions. My ideas come from non 4x4 experience but i have half an idea.

Plans for the next few weeks include:

-Removal of King Springs and replacing with Premium Cal Offroad 2 inch HD springs.
-Phat Bars diff drop
-Phat Bars bash plate hump to modify existing bash plate
-PSR Upper control arms.
-10mm Strut spacers
-anytime locker
-swaybar sleeving or removal.

I already have Bilstien struts and i couldn't justify putting new struts in yet. In the future I plan on upgrading these but for the moment I am happy and they are a good quality product. I don't think the benefit of upgrading would be worth the cost ($5-600).

From this set up, i am hoping to achieve between 2 and 3 inches of lift over standard (585-600m Hub to guard).

One of my main concerns with running 3 inch springs is the loss of droop and also reduced up travel by using longer springs.

By using the 2 inch spring and 10mm spacer, i will maintain more droop, and move my effective suspension range down slightly.

To ensure the strut isn't damaged on hard compression, i will space the bumpstop accordingly. To find the measurement, ill compare the point of contact on the control arm without springs in. This is because the bumpstop is on a slightly different plane in the suspension arc.

At the same time, i will also check binding of the CVS on full droop to ensure the new longer height doesn't cause issues. I don't see it being a problem as i have seen other running 15mm long struts.

I am interested in hearing others experiences with max droop and bumpstop spacing with longer struts.

hopefully after this, i have the lift i am after with improve travel in the front. Then to fit the bigger tyres when these ones are done.
Mattstopel

Return to Member Build Ups