Antichrist 4x2 Workmate Hilux build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Antichrist 4x2 Workmate Hilux build

Postby 2tr-fe on Tue, 07 Jun 2016 2:29 +0000

Hey guys,
First one by the looks of it, the dark side I suppose lol. So here's the beginning of my 4x2 workmate petrol manual. Something a bit different perhaps to all the 4x4 hiluxes?
I wanted a colour matched aluminium tray which the dealer didn't want to do, no worries got them to drop me off a tray to my workshop where I assembled/disassembled it and took it round to get painted.
First pic of the project ever, I had to remove all stickers and I disassembled the tray sides for painting (they come assembled)
Painted tray assembled ready for me to take to dealer, replaced all normal zinc plated M6 bolts in tray sides with stainless ones too.
The party bus in dealer pre-delivery shed when I dropped off tray.

So whats the plan? First was the colour matched genuine aluminium HD tray. I got the dealer to do colour matched bumper and fit SR5 foglamps into bumper. Dealer is also putting a nudge bar on. Dealer kindly fitted genuine chrome mirror cover and handles as seen in photo if you look closley, the back caps are on back order.
Next to do once i get it is fit the projector SR5 style lights and full chrome grille and replace the black bonnet lip with a sr5 chrome one. Later i'll be tracking down some toyota 5 stud alloy wheels for it too.

I dont have the hilux yet so will put a pic up when I get it, hopefully should look good with all the gear on it. Tray paint is supposedly two pack paint with the appropriate primer for the aluminium/galvo parts.
2tr-fe

Re: Antichrist 4x2 Workmate Hilux build

Postby snakesoup on Tue, 07 Jun 2016 4:15 +0000

I like what ya doing there mate, the tray looks fantastic! keep the updates coming!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
snakesoup

Postby 2tr-fe on Sat, 18 Jun 2016 11:08 +0000

Picked the car up this morning, come up allright.
Sitting out the front of the dealer
Will get some proper photos up once I do a few things to it
2tr-fe

Postby 2tr-fe on Mon, 11 Jul 2016 4:33 +0000

SR5 grille and SR/SR5 chrome bonnet moulding fitted

SR5 Projector/LED headlamps are on the slowboat from Thailand, 16'' 5 stud Toyota wheels will be on the slowboat from the UK shortly.

Apart from that I don't have any more things to do unless I think of something else.
2tr-fe

Postby gjn on Mon, 11 Jul 2016 4:58 +0000

Keep an eye on the stainless bolts, especially if you live near the sea, stainless bolts in aluminium base material can lead to corrosion of the aluminium.
gjn

Postby 2tr-fe on Mon, 11 Jul 2016 7:01 +0000

gjn wrote:Keep an eye on the stainless bolts, especially if you live near the sea, stainless bolts in aluminium base material can lead to corrosion of the aluminium.

The water you see in the photo is fresh water lol. Nah i'm hearing what your saying; I believe it will last as the aluminium tray is anodised by the manufacturer, and has been painted so it wouldn't surprise me if some of the bolts aren't actually making an electrical contact especially on the tray sides (hence little to no galvanic corrosion). And even if they are I applied anti-seize to every nut which will maybe slow any potential corrosion if I'm lucky

Having said that I have seen paint bubble on painted aluminium boats with stainless handrails, but that was after 10 years so with a bit of luck I've got some time up my sleeve.
2tr-fe

Postby mcflux on Wed, 13 Jul 2016 6:31 +0000

Looks great! Hooray for another new 4x2 here, I thought mine was the only one :lol:

Any plans with the interior or the 2.7?
2016 SR HiRider - <Thread>
Factory Options: Premium bullbar, tub liner, tow pack
Additions: IPF900 spotlights + 20" LED bar, tint, TJM canopy
mcflux

Postby 2tr-fe on Wed, 13 Jul 2016 3:33 +0000

mcflux wrote:Looks great! Hooray for another new 4x2 here, I thought mine was the only one :lol:

Any plans with the interior or the 2.7?

Cheers! Didn't see yours, yours is the only hi-rider and mine is the only petrol low 4x2 lol. Yours looks great!

I dunno about interior, I originally wanted to get the premium fabric seats as mine are thin and have a fixed headrest but after sitting in it I have no comfort issues at all.
Only other thing was maybe get the SR5 garnishes for the interior but I was more interested in doing the exterior and have spent enough for now! lol

The 2.7 is a good question, as far as I'm concerned the sky is the limit there (more like my wallet). When it runs out of warranty some ideas of a turbo will be definitely thrown around.
This platform is much better than my old 2008 hilux, bigger brakes, bigger tires with a proper highway pattern, better chassis and suspension, bigger prop shaft and diff i believe so there will be no power handling issues. Also the engines construction has been refined slightly too.
We already know what the predecessor 3RZ is capable of, so the now updated 2TR should really be able to make serious power without breaking a sweat. The only headache to overcome is all the engine and chassis electronics, a problem for another day.
Also I wouldn't be surprised if the front mount inter-cooler from the gd 2.8 will bolt straight into my car and may even be able to use pipework too and there's a lot of room in the engine bay and holes for inter-cooler pipes anyway so now we wait to warranty is over!
2tr-fe

Postby mcflux on Wed, 13 Jul 2016 6:10 +0000

Thanks!

I hear you on the seats - I was for a while umming & aahing about whether I'd made the right choice over a base model Ranger (for less $ - I'm a tightar$e). That is until I sat in the seat of one & drove it on a (concrete) road... World of difference with the lower-spec seats between Hilux & Ranger.

I quite like the all-black interior of Workmates & SRs, not to take away from the SR5, it feels lower-spec without feeling cheap. Again unlike the lower-spec Rangers which don't quite match the Workmate/SR.

Turbo 2.7! Haha mad! Well I'm looking forward to any further updates you make :D
mcflux

Postby 2tr-fe on Wed, 13 Jul 2016 6:44 +0000

The funny part about it is the seats in my old 2008 workmate were better in the way that they had adjustable headrests and were vinyl, But like I say must admit they are fine and do the job. Vinyl is much easier to clean though, only real downside. I haven't yet taken it for a long drive but i doubt i'll be complaining.
Yes i do agree with you there, the all black interior is quite aesthetically appealing really so i'll probably just leave it how it is.

Even funnier part was i never test drove this thing or anything else for that matter, when i picked it up that was the first ever drive but no regrets! Dont think there ever will be either. Probably is marginally bouncier than the old one but thats because the old one was 8 years old and had a heavier steel tray so can't complain.

Maybe one other thing I may do is a window tint, the old one had a tint and was good in the summer so when summer comes around and if I cook in this thing I'll look into a tint.
2tr-fe

Postby mcflux on Thu, 14 Jul 2016 7:55 +0000

With the bouncy ride, mine took a few thousand kms to settle down.
mcflux

Postby 2tr-fe on Sun, 07 Aug 2016 4:07 +0000

So the wheels and lights are on since last photos
2tr-fe

Return to Member Build Ups