AK 2016 Hilux

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

AK 2016 Hilux

Postby akroehn on Wed, 30 Mar 2016 2:45 +0000

OK i've finally got my new ute, a 2016 Hilux SR. My previous vehicle was a 2006 Hilux SR5 V6 2wd, which was also a great ute :-)
I got the genuine 'matt black' toyota 18" wheels and some Cooper AT3 tyres, which I sets it off nicely :-)
Also got the genuine fabric seat covers and rubber floor mats, and towbar of course.

A lot of the SR is already black, and I like the black look, so I have already done a couple of mods to black out various parts.
First was the grille, I didn't like the chrome bit on the bonnet, particularly when the bit underneath was grey! So I've plastidipped it black. The bit on the bonnet I had to mask off and spray, but the other part I unscrewed from the vehicle, then unscrewed / unclipped the individual bits, and sprayed them separately. I left the toyota symbol chrome as a bit of a highlight, I think it looks OK so will leave it like that :-)

Another easy mod I did was to spray under the wheel arches, where there was some white paint showing. Particularly at the back, if you stood on the side you could see the white part of the tub above the wheel which I found a bit distracting, since I have black wheels. So while it was pretty new, I cleaned the white bit and just sprayed some black spray paint on it. No need to mask, everything was already black under there anyway. You can't notice it now, but that is because it is working to hide the white bit under there ;-) A simple fix that took about 2 minutes. Eventually it will be caked with dirt and mud anyway, but looks nicer now ;-)

The nudge bar is a non-genuine bar from bossco auto (.com.au). They sell on ebay too. They claim (on website and via an email) that all their bars are ADR and airbag compliant / approved. It was pretty simple to install, only had to cut a slot out of the black plastic guard underneath the bumper, it cut OK with some heavy duty scissors. It's bolted to the front of the chassis. I dont think it will provide any real protection - any bump will probably knock it into the bumper, but it is a good place to mount the light bar ;-)

The lightbar I got from Stedi (.com.au) - it has 12 x 10W cree LEDs. It came with a wiring harness (I can confirm that the SR has POSITIVE switching as it has auto headlights) that was simple to install. I will eventually install the power lead into the Aux fuse box (that was installed as part of the towbar harness I think?) as soon as I have some lugs from the dealer. There is a spot at no.2 for 'driving lights' which will make for a neat install. The harness has a simple H4 high beam adapter that you plug in line off the back of one of the headlights, to get the high beam signal. I also got a switch from them to mount in the panel on the right of the steering column - the stock switch was a round one but the switch I got was one that fits directly into the blanking plates, so looks more stock.

For a smallish (24") lightbar, it is fantastic, adds a heap of light to high beam! It doesnt probably reach further than the stock high beam, but it spreads very well and lights up the first couple hundred metres really well. I dont do a lot of night driving anyway, but when I do I like to be able to see the sides of the road better, and this light does that very well (although have only driven a quick 10 minute night test since installing). I might look at replacing the H4 globes with some Philips Extreme vision globes as a cheap upgrade too - I did this on my last ute and it made a massive difference.

Still have many more mods to go, will try to keep this page updated as I go along.
:-)
akroehn

Re: AK 2016 Hilux

Postby kiwipip on Wed, 30 Mar 2016 3:39 +0000

Thanks for posting the pics will definitely blackout the grill now.. So you removed the grill and painted it off the vehicle. Had a quick look tonight and notice there are 4 screws at the top of the grill, but I didn't notice any at the bottom , What do I need to do to remove the grill ? or would it be easier to do it in place ?

cheers
kiwipip

Postby akroehn on Wed, 30 Mar 2016 3:50 +0000

Its easy to get off, undo the screws at the top (under the plastic guard which is just held with clips). The bottom of the grille is 'clipped' in all along the bottom, i grabbed one side at the bottom and pulled and worked my way along the bottom pulling it straight outward. To put it back just push it back in. Needed a bit of force but it wasnt too much..

Once the grille is off, you will see more screws on the back, i undid those and pulled out all the horizontal bars, there was one long thin one at the bottom and 2 on the left and 2 on the right. There were also screws behind the badge, so i unscrewed that and then pulled out the badge itself so i didnt have to mask it.

The frame of the grille i was left with was already black on the SR, might not be on SR5, so i didnt spray that at all. Just the bars and the oval badge surround.

Only took a few minutes to fully disassemble, much quicker than masking the whole front! Although i had to mask off the chrome bit on the bonnet, that is actually just stuck with double sided 3m type tape, but i didnt want to risk pulling it off. I used a couple of old sheets, one over the engine while the bonnet was held up about 30cm with a block of wood, and the other sheet over the bonnet held with blue painters tape to the masking.

Once it was all done and dry (did it in a day) i put it all back together in just a few minutes, was pretty simple.
:)
akroehn

Postby adamkberger on Thu, 31 Mar 2016 3:28 +0000

Can you post a picture of the seat covers?
2015 SR5 2.8 Dual Cab Hilux
adamkberger

Postby akroehn on Thu, 31 Mar 2016 4:12 +0000

adamkberger wrote:Can you post a picture of the seat covers?

Yep can do, will take a couple tomorrow and post..
akroehn

Postby akroehn on Fri, 01 Apr 2016 11:31 +0000

adamkberger wrote:Can you post a picture of the seat covers?

Sorry for the delay, was flat out this morning and had to empty the back seat to take a decent shot...
Anyway here are a few shots. Generally they fit very well and I'm very happy with them. The drivers seat bottom could probably be pulled back a bit tighter but I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. These were fitted by the dealer.
They're a bit grubby from the kids already ;-)

akroehn

Postby adamkberger on Sun, 03 Apr 2016 5:48 +0000

Thanks for posting those photos. It's nice to able to finally see what these seat covers look like. I was tossing up between these and canvas. Toyota's pathetic excuse for photos on their website does nothing to help in the decision making. I ended up with canvas just to be safe.
adamkberger

Postby luxtc on Sun, 03 Apr 2016 3:18 +0000

adamkberger wrote:Thanks for posting those photos. It's nice to able to finally see what these seat covers look like. I was tossing up between these and canvas. Toyota's pathetic excuse for photos on their website does nothing to help in the decision making. I ended up with canvas just to be safe.

Any chance you can post some pics of the genuine canvas seat covers adamkberger?
luxtc

Postby adamkberger on Tue, 05 Apr 2016 4:18 +0000

adamkberger

Postby akroehn on Tue, 19 Apr 2016 3:03 +0000

Have done a couple more fiddly things..
First was to move the trailer plug from under the bumper to above. It makes it much easier to get to and also when I back the boat in at the local boat ramp the plug under the bumper just about sits in the water.

While I was at it I also tapped in to the brake light, and added a cable to the cab for the brake controller which I will install later (I unplugged the blue wire that was already there, that one stops above the spare tyre).

Next I started thinking about reversing lights. I didn't want anything too massive, all I need is to be able to see the trailer or boat if/when I am reversing at night.
The stock reverse lights are pretty dim really, so I looked around on ebay and found some decent looking cree LED reverse lights in the right bulb connection. I pulled the trigger and they are excellent! much brighter than the stock bulb. This pic shows one LED reverse globe installed for comparison - this is just in the shed against the door. The bright white light is the LED globe, the other is the stock. The red tinge is because the parkers were also on (auto headlights).

I replaced both obviously... Here are the bulbs I got:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2PCS-12V-60W ... SwxcRW-zpH

But.. after all that, I still had a dark spot directly by the towball when backing in close, so I also installed an Aurora LED rock light near the number plate (you can see it in the first pic above). These are very bright for their size, and IP68 rated. I like these lights a lot, I am going to install a couple more in the tub!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Twin-Pack-WH ... SwMmBVriWk

I just tapped into the reverse light pins from the trailer plug, I didnt worry about switching them, they are just on all the time. Hopefully I don't overload the circuit :? But I dont think so, it's only 9w (less than an amp extra draw?) and the reverse lights have a 10 amp fuse I think...

Coming soon:
Finish blacking out the badges with plastidip (have done the back one, you can see it in the first pic, just have to do the sides)
U-Pol raptor liner for the tub (have bought the kit, just need time to install!)
Brake controller install
Extra USB ports in cab
Maybe a second battery and lights in the tub, still thinking about how I'll do this
Custom build some removable rails to go above the tub sides, so I can mount roof racks over the tub to put a roof box and/or bikes on there. Still designing this in my head but have an idea.... ;)

:D
akroehn

Postby akroehn on Tue, 19 Apr 2016 3:06 +0000

Oh by the way this is one of the LED reverse lights installed:

akroehn

Postby davisbenham on Mon, 25 Apr 2016 11:42 +0000

Mate rig is looking good,

what size tyres have you put on 265/60r18?
davisbenham

Postby qldminer on Mon, 25 Apr 2016 11:49 +0000

dont tell me the inside of the SR is now carpet now vinyl?
qldminer

Postby luxtc on Mon, 25 Apr 2016 12:54 +0000

qldminer wrote:dont tell me the inside of the SR is now carpet now vinyl?

Only the Workmate has Vinyl flooring now.
luxtc

Postby akroehn on Mon, 25 Apr 2016 1:42 +0000

davisbenham wrote:Mate rig is looking good,

what size tyres have you put on 265/60r18?

Yep 265/60r18, these rims are same size as the stock 18" rims on the SR5

Yeah the SR has carpet now, is actually pretty well specced compared to SR5, no longer the povvo pack it used to be ;)
akroehn

Postby dannyboy1 on Tue, 03 May 2016 8:02 +0000

Hi mate

I bought the reverse lights as well. Great product thanks for the write up. Makes the vision through the reverse camera a lot better as well.

Thanks again
dannyboy1

Postby Concon29 on Sun, 15 May 2016 10:49 +0000

Hey could you take a pic of tye side view of wheels. Im looking at getting red sr5 with these black wheels and some nitto tyres and add some wheel guards
Concon29

Postby telliscope on Mon, 16 May 2016 7:31 +0000

Hey mate, what do you think of the Cooper AT3 tyres? Road noise is OK? Tossing up between them or the Bf KO2s
REDHEAD AND STOCKTON BEACH TRIP - Youtube https://youtu.be/WbNIu4Zx-eA

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfnkVp ... Heu1_Xd34w
telliscope

Postby akroehn on Mon, 16 May 2016 8:06 +0000

Will take a couple pics tomorrow of the wheels, was raining today...

So far the AT3s are good, no road noise at all really. I hate road noise, but this hilux is the quietest vehicle I've ever owned. AT3s been on since new, but only done 2800ish km so far, so will be interesting to see how long they last. Haven't used off road yet other than a bit of sand so cant really comment on that, but for every day driving on the road it's all good :)
akroehn

Postby akroehn on Tue, 17 May 2016 3:27 +0000

Concon29 wrote:Hey could you take a pic of tye side view of wheels. Im looking at getting red sr5 with these black wheels and some nitto tyres and add some wheel guards

OK here are a couple pics, hope it helps..
Everyone who sees these wheels likes them, and I'm very happy with them :-)

In the last pic you can see I have finally blacked out the side badges too, with plastidip.

Plus I have installed some ebay fog lights (SR has only blanks) with integrated DRL LEDs. The fog lights are working with their own wiring loom and switch, but I haven't hooked up the DRLs yet - am a bit worried that they will be too much of a colour difference (bright white) from the stock halogen DRLs in the headlight assembly (warmish white). So will probably switch them, so I can have them on or off, not just on all the time.
akroehn

Next

Return to Member Build Ups