AK 2016 Hilux

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: AK 2016 Hilux

Postby telliscope on Thu, 19 May 2016 8:37 +0000

akroehn wrote:Will take a couple pics tomorrow of the wheels, was raining today...

So far the AT3s are good, no road noise at all really. I hate road noise, but this hilux is the quietest vehicle I've ever owned. AT3s been on since new, but only done 2800ish km so far, so will be interesting to see how long they last. Haven't used off road yet other than a bit of sand so cant really comment on that, but for every day driving on the road it's all good :)

Cheers bud, thanks for the info, good to know about the lack of road noise, still deciding the AT3 or go a bit more aggressive with the ko2
REDHEAD AND STOCKTON BEACH TRIP - Youtube https://youtu.be/WbNIu4Zx-eA

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfnkVp ... Heu1_Xd34w
telliscope

Postby Rickoo5 on Mon, 23 May 2016 8:31 +0000

How do you get the rear lights out to change the reversing light bulb?
Regards

Rickoo5 :)
Rickoo5

Postby dannyboy1 on Thu, 26 May 2016 10:49 +0000

Rickoo5 wrote:How do you get the rear lights out to change the reversing light bulb?

Undo the tail gate. By memory Phillips head screw then you pull them out. They are held in my plugs. It's all in the Hilux manual. It feels like they are about to break but they do pull out eventually.

Hope that helps
dannyboy1

Postby apSlain on Fri, 27 May 2016 8:05 +0000

Rickoo5 wrote:How do you get the rear lights out to change the reversing light bulb?

Here's how to do it in the old model - can't be too different the newer model?

Check out Slain's Overlander, a perpetual work-in-progress.
apSlain

Postby dannyboy1 on Fri, 27 May 2016 8:40 +0000

apSlain wrote:

Here's how to do it in the old model - can't be too different the newer model?

That's it just a it more force required to pull them off (especially if first time they been off).
dannyboy1

Postby akroehn on Mon, 30 May 2016 4:38 +0000

Yep pretty much exactly the same as the video above, except the lights in the 2016 come out sideways, rather than pulling towards back of the car. Was very stiff, but still pretty easy...
The instructions are in the manual too, since bulbs are a simple user replaceable part.
akroehn

Postby master_manoj on Sun, 21 Aug 2016 7:04 +0000

Hey AK

Thanks for the insight on the reversing Light Bulb..it really was educatiing

Cheers
2006 D4d (auto) :roll:
master_manoj

Postby akroehn on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 3:33 +0000

OK finally got around to doing a few more things.

Have wired up the LED DRLs in my fog lights (these were a kit from ebay) - they are a bright white LED, and dim a bit when the headlights are on. I have them connected to a DRL switch in the dash, next to the cig-lighter power socket, so I can turn them off if I want.
Only issue is that the light of the stock DRLs (halogen) in the headlights is very yellowish compared to the LEDs. One day I might try to find a whiter globe for the stock DRLs, or switch them to LED too, but they need a multi-wattage globe as they dim too...

I've also found that dust / water can get in at the front of the tonneau cover, where it goes around the bars in front of the window. So I added an aluminium angle there (riveted) and bought a rubber pinchweld strip to help seal it a bit better. Worked out great I think. Water will still pool a little bit on top of the tonneau, but it pooled there before anyway so the difference now should be that the water can't run into the back of the tub.

Aluminium strip installed:

Pinchweld installation, showing profile (ebay purchase):

Installed:

Now when the tonneau goes on it is pushed against the rubber, and can only run back outside the tub or over the sides. I siliconed behind the aluminium so it cant leak into the tub.
akroehn

Postby akroehn on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 3:51 +0000

Next thing I've done is build some custom rails to sit over the tub, so I can mount bikes on there when we go away, and still have full access to the tonneau to be able to take it on or off.

I can also mount my roofbox on there (something like this, but the older version http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Produc ... tre/388292). When that is mounted, it sits below the roof line, so should massively decrease drag compared to having it on the roof :D

Here are the rails - they mount with 2 bolts under the lip of the tub, and one bolt into a Rivnut set into the cargo barrier uprights at the front of the tub. You can just see the rivnut location in the last pic from the previous post about the tonneau seal... They're made from 25x25mm SHS, with the uprights bent out of 5mm plates - actually they are cut from normal angle shelving brackets I had lying around from the hardware store. They had holes (for screws) but I fill-welded them in and ground them flat again to make them look nicer ;) To bend them I didnt have an oxy, so I made slight cuts with a grinder, hammered them over, then welded the corner cuts back up again adding more fill to strengthen them. I'm no fantastic welder, but it should be pretty solid I think (hope) :D

And finally showing the bikes mounted on the back.

Originally I had standard roof racks across the tub, but the distance they have to span is about 1.5m which is longer than most roof racks.. Plus the roof racks I bought were cheap generic ones, so they sagged in the middle and I wasnt confident they wouldn't just snap from bouncing around on the road. So I have built 2 bars from 30x30mm SHS - they have a bit of angle on the ends that sits over the tub bars, and a single bolt into a rivnut holds them rock solid. This also stiffens the tub bars - they can't spread or be pushed inwards as they're held solid by the new cross rails. I haven't taken any pics of the new cross rails yet...

Anyway i'm pretty happy with the outcome - they are easy to put on and off, look good, are very solid, and let me get my arm in the side of the tub to the fridge or even take off the tonneau completely with the bars and bikes in place.
akroehn

Postby akroehn on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 4:02 +0000

And finally I have added some lights into the tub too. I used the same Aurora LED rock lights I used for a reversing light near the number plate (see previous post).
I put 2 in the tub itself, inside the back corners just next to the tailgate. Plus one at the top of the cargo barrier.
I wired them all up to a waterproof push button switch in the tub too - you can see it in this pic glowing blue.
I didnt put a switch in the cab - as any time I want to see something in the tub I will be standing there in the dark, not inside the ute. I think... ;)
They dont look super bright in this photo, but they are very bright and light up the whole tub easily at night.

The light at the top of the cargo barrier - I angled this down a bit so it shines into the tub better. In this pic you can also see one of the tie down points I installed in the front of the tub (click to see full pic). These just bolt into a couple of M8 rivnuts. The steel wall of the tub is double thickness in that location, so should be very solid.

To do that I just made a bracket out of aluminium and bolted in place:

I haven't stuck down the wiring that runs along the inside of the cargo barrier upright yet, but will do that soon.

I installed the lights and switch in that location, as you can pull out the taillights and get to the big empty space behind there (I found that when installing the LED taillight mod as per previous post). So it was easy to get the wire up there, drill holes and bolt everything in place - without affecting anything else like the taillights. I might even put a cig-lighter socket directly into that spot too, it will be flush with the inside of the tub! :D
akroehn

Postby Rodenocana on Tue, 13 Sep 2016 6:08 +0000

Hi mate nice rig how many percent is your tint
Rodenocana

Postby akroehn on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 3:36 +0000

Rodenocana wrote:Hi mate nice rig how many percent is your tint

Sorry for the slow reply..
But I actually don't know. :? The tint looks darker in the pics than real life. The tint is a pretty standard tint that the dealer installed for me, I think they use a local tint-a-car dealer to do the install. I didn't ask for, or get any info on it - I just got tinted windows from the dealer ;-)
akroehn

Postby tooshort on Sun, 09 Oct 2016 8:47 +0000

akroehn wrote:OK here are a couple pics, hope it helps..
Everyone who sees these wheels likes them, and I'm very happy with them :-)

How much did it cost to add on the matte black wheels? Planning to buy a new Hilux with these wheels as well.
tooshort

Postby akroehn on Thu, 13 Oct 2016 5:20 +0000

tooshort wrote:
akroehn wrote:OK here are a couple pics, hope it helps..
Everyone who sees these wheels likes them, and I'm very happy with them :-)

How much did it cost to add on the matte black wheels? Planning to buy a new Hilux with these wheels as well.

I think they were about $1200, but that was wheels only - tyres on top. I got the old wheels back, and traded the tyres at the tyre shop.
akroehn

Postby Toeknee2 on Sat, 26 Nov 2016 9:23 +0000

Thanks for the tips on the light globes.
I've bought a new (2017) SR Hi rider ute, I'm waiting on a late Feb delivery. Don't know if there will be any improvements/differences to the 2016 model, there's nothing mentioned on the net to suggest there will.
As soon as I get my new toy I will upgrade the front lights to bright white (standard H4 globes?) I really don't like the look of the standard "yellow" lights.
I will also upgrade the reversing light using the link you provided, thanks.
Tony
Toeknee2

Postby oftenaround on Sun, 12 Feb 2017 7:59 +0000

Where did you get your ute mat from? It is nicely edged. Thanks
oftenaround

Postby akroehn on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 9:16 +0000

oftenaround wrote:Where did you get your ute mat from? It is nicely edged. Thanks

Sorry only just saw this question.. I bought it years ago from a 4WD shop on Main North Road, Adelaide (cant remember which one).
Had it in my old ute (2006 SR5 dual cab). It was actually a bit big for that ute as I had a tub liner, but fits perfectly in the new ute. Is still in excellent condition 10 years later.

Brand is a razorback, this is the manufacturer:
http://razorback.com.au/mammoth-mats/
akroehn

Postby coshea on Thu, 16 Mar 2017 6:01 +0000

akroehn wrote:Only issue is that the light of the stock DRLs (halogen) in the headlights is very yellowish compared to the LEDs. One day I might try to find a whiter globe for the stock DRLs, or switch them to LED too, but they need a multi-wattage globe as they dim too...

I purchased the reversing lights you recommended so thought I'd share the replacement LEDS I've just fitted for stock DRLs!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/262702906526 ... EBIDX%3AIT

$15 for the pair, free postage and received within 1 Week (Including a long weekend)

They're bright white (apparently 6500k) and intended as a stop/break light...so dual filament and dim when headlights are on.

When they arrived I was a bit worried as they're quite a bit larger than the stock globe! But they fit fine!

Side by side

Just need to replace my headlights/highbeams to a bright/cool white now!
coshea

Postby akroehn on Wed, 21 Feb 2018 9:01 +0000

Haven't had time to post for ages, but here are a few updates:

LED DRLs
Had some ebay LED DRLs for a while, but they started playing up after a couple months (flickering between bright and dim) and I found the auto headlights werent working properly, so I threw them in the bin and put back the stock bulbs. Wish they weren't so yellow but am over it now ;)

On the subject of the DRLs; the bulbs in the SR are dual filament, 5W and 21W for parkers and DRLs respectively. Had a strange issue where the 21W filaments on both bulbs blew (I didnt realise) but the effect was that any time the headlight stalk was on Auto, and i was in bright light (so headlights should turn off and DRLs on) all the dashlights would flicker on and off, and relays all over the place were clicking on and off. Switch to park, or to headlights on, and the issue went away. I didnt realise that both bulbs were dodgy as every time I got out to look at it the parkers seemed to be on - but of course they were only using the 5W filament as the 21W was no good. So I thought that the auto headlight sensor on the dash was dodgy. Took it to local dealer and he worked it out - replaced bulbs and all good again! :oops:

Nudge bar:
Originally had a Bossco Auto nudge bar on there (from ebay), but unfortunately I hit an emu coming home from Arkaroola late 2017. Was only low speed, about 60ish, but luckily I had the nudge bar on as it took most of the brunt of the hit. It pushed into the bumper and grille, but didn't get to the radiator. I was surprised at how well it absorbed some of the shock - when I installed it I didn't think it would offer any protection at all.
Anyway the lower plastic bumper was destroyed, and the grille, plus my nudge bar and light bar. So I asked the insurance company if I could put the money for a new bumper and nudge bar towards a new bullbar instead, and it was no problem (progressive online insurance - they were good). Settled on an Ironman bullbar, as this is the only one (AFAIK) that is a full bumper replacement. No point getting one that I had to cut the bumper with, as I would have had to buy a new bumper to cut.

Am very happy with the Ironman, looks pretty good on the hilux I think. Also gives it a much higher front approach: I had scraped the bottom of the nudge bar a few times doing some 4WD tracks in the flinders and arkaroola, so next time I'll be less likely to scrape at the front (no lift on my lux).
It did come with a green ironman logo on the front but I black plastidipped that out, you can still see the logo but it's no longer a green monstrosity on the front of my black and white ute. ;)
(Will post a pic soon, am waiting on imgHOSTR verification email)

I haven't changed the stock suspension at all, and so far it seems perfectly fine. It may be sitting a small amount lower at the front but not a huge amount. Also surprisingly fuel consumption hasn't really changed at all, still get around 9-10 l/100km generally.

Tyres:
So far the Cooper AT3s (265/60/r18) are holding up well. Have done 30,000km so far on them. Had no issues doing lots of 4WD tracks in the flinders and Arkaroola, no flats up there at all. Have had the odd nail in the tyre but that can't be helped. Road noise is very low.
Have worked out that I was running way too high a pressure though - I always liked to run 40psi (for sealed roads anyway) on all my previous vehicles, but recently I noticed that these tyres were much more worn in the middle than the outside edges. Also running lower pressures last year on my trip to the flinders/arkaroola have made me rethink tyre pressure. I'm now running the toyota recommended pressure of around 200KPA (around 29psi). I think I've shortened the life of my tyres running 40psi, but I would think I can get another 30,000km out of them still, there is still a lot of tread left. :)

Other issues:
Haven't really had any other issues with the ute, only thing I had fixed recently was the blower fan unit for the aircon/cabin fan, which was making a high pitched noise when on low or medium fan. Drove me nuts, but was replaced under warranty without fuss.
In the past I've had the propshaft replaced to fix the clunking gears at about 10,000km, that hasn't reappeared at all.

Still to do:
Bought a raptor liner kit ages ago to spray the tub with, but never seem to have time to do it. Will get to it eventually.
Might look at some roof racks one day, I like the idea of a track mount, saw these recently although am not sure about the wind noise they might make (I hate noise!)
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yakima-Lock ... 1438.l2649
akroehn

Previous

Return to Member Build Ups