Kimberley Hilux

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Kimberley Hilux

Postby awwricecracker on Sun, 06 Mar 2016 3:55 +0000

Well I've gone and bought my first hilux. Not new to 4wds, this would be my 9th one. Hoping the new model is built as tough as they say it is.

I've got a few plans but nothing too extreme. I opted for the bullbar with warn winch, uprated front springs come with this, and a towbar. This week I'll put in a 2 way radio and hopefully all terrains. It's always difficult as living in the kimberley freight can sometimes take over a month to arrive and even then, noone will let you know it's waiting for you.

Image Image Image
awwricecracker

Re: Kimberley Hilux

Postby awwricecracker on Sun, 06 Mar 2016 3:57 +0000

wow, sorry about the image sizes, I'll get that sorted out soon
awwricecracker

Postby Mutto on Sun, 06 Mar 2016 6:20 +0000

Looks good mate. I went for the winch and bullbar too. Living in the Pilbara I feel your pain on the freight!

Mutto
Mutto

Postby ochre on Sat, 26 Mar 2016 8:21 +0000

Hey mate, awesome looking Hilux! I lived in Broome for 4 years and loved having the Hilux up there, but biggest issue was overtaking ability on the hwy with road trains etc. interested to get your feedback on the new engine/ gear box in real world conditions?

Can't decide if I should trade up my 2014 sr5 to the new model or just get a steinbauer module.
ochre

Postby ochre on Sat, 26 Mar 2016 8:23 +0000

Hey mate, awesome looking Hilux! I lived in Broome for 4 years and loved having the Hilux up there, but biggest issue was overtaking ability on the hwy with road trains etc. interested to get your feedback on the new engine/ gear box in real world conditions?

Can't decide if I should trade up my 2014 sr5 to the new model or just get a steinbauer module.
ochre

Postby awwricecracker on Fri, 15 Apr 2016 6:14 +0000

ochre wrote:Hey mate, awesome looking Hilux! I lived in Broome for 4 years and loved having the Hilux up there, but biggest issue was overtaking ability on the hwy with road trains etc. interested to get your feedback on the new engine/ gear box in real world conditions?

The new engine is reasonable for power, it doesn't have incredible pickup, but has a surprising amount of torque. I came from a v6 prado which would shoot up to 160 fairly quick and gradually climb higher to 180. Running all terrains on the new hilux it gets up to 135 reasonably easy, then it is a slow climb to 165. The best part about it, is that most overtaking I do is uphill and I try to stick to the speed limit or just above and take my time. The little 2.8 has no problem holding the speed up large hills towing a 1t trailer.
awwricecracker

Return to Member Build Ups