So things have finally started happening
The tyres arrived......and boy are they large for a 35" tyre!
As they were, off the rim they measured up as 34.5" by 12" wide. so thatd grow a little once fitted and inflated.Click image for full view
Was interested to see this warning label fitted to the tyres.
Then it was time to mount the tyres to the beadlock rims. This was a challenge. I had never done this before but was determined to try something new and learn along the way, The top lock ring was difficult to get started with the bolts. I ended up spraying tyre silicon on both beads to help the bottom side slip onto the wheel and help the lock ring settle and position itself properly. Gee, a bit of thought and muscle was required to get 2 to 3 bolts started......and once I did get 3 bolts in, wouldnt you beleive it......I forgot to add the balance beads inside the tyre.
Bugger......remove the 3 bolts and lock ring, drop the beads in and start again
These are the beadlock balancing beads below, and also an image of the metal 90 degree tyre valves I source and fitted. each bead bag equates to 12 oz .
So the massacre started last night.
The line seen (if you zoom in) is 60mm above the bottom edge of flare.
25mm for tyre clearance.
5mm for the extra thickness of the flsre underneath (so i get a true 25mm when cut).
And another 30mm above is to allow room for the rubber sidemount flare to.push up against the plastic flare, sealing it off, and it is the overall height including where the mounting tech screws will sit.
The panel itself will be cut later, after the sidemount flares are mounted, and ill cut the remaining good one inch below the mounting bolts.
Line is 60mm across the top and progressively increasing to 70mm towards the back end. And a little less towards the front end.
My aim also was to make it all blend well with the front bar edge as that was difficult on my N70 and didnt end up as I had planned back then.
For reference for those trimming rear of fender and wanting somehow to mount the inner fender liner still.
I originally cut and made my own bracket off a piece of the fender i originslly took off.
It had the square hole for the factory clip. I cut it to size, drilled a hole in the side of the bracket and the fender and pop riveted it to hold it back. The fender flare covered it all.
Another pic below of that bracket now removed.
I then tech screwed the rubber sidemount flare hard up against the underside of the cut plastic flares with tech screws hard up on the underside as you will see in photos below.
The Flares extend 30 to 40mm past the plastic flare depending where on the plastic flares profile.
View from underneath. I will be cutting everything off fromna few mm below where the screws are mounted.
This will give me 30mm extra clearance across the top extending to 40mm extra clearance towards the rear of the fender opening.
I will endeavour to keep as much of the inner plastic liner as I can in this whole process. will see how we go over the weekend.
Final step ;ast night was to clean all surfaces and seal the mating surfaces between the cut flare and rubber ine with black silicon. Ill clean this up a littke more later on iff the panel once it dries with a razor blade.