Re: The PUNISHER 2.0 Build -CHOP CHOP CHOP #hilux_max

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: The PUNISHER 2.0 Build - Phase 2 has begun! #hilux_max

Postby hiluxxury on Sat, 21 Apr 2018 5:36 +0000

Can't wait to see the 35s on :evil:
hiluxxury

Postby Caleebra on Sat, 21 Apr 2018 4:54 +0000

Sweet! This is gonna be awesome!!! :mrgreen:
- Arne from Norway here, glad to chat with you -

:D
Caleebra

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 6:07 +0000

I ordered the WF75 (disregard the WF50 on the diagram, the ones Im getting are 75mm wide atleast) rubber sidemount flares that I will need for my planned fender mods. these are the same ones I used on my N70 but the way I use them will be different as you will see when the time comes.

I plan to trim their overall height down before installation as per red line in pic attached so I minimise how high up I have to cut into the plastic flares I now have and the fender in order to mount them and retain the clearance I desire. Blue rectangle depicts the self taper screw that will mount them.

Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 6:08 +0000

And another image....just because #hilux_max

Click for full image

Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Hilux Max on Sat, 12 May 2018 3:46 +0000

3.5 weeks and tyres are still not here....WTF? should be picking em up Monday arvo all goin well. They were located in Perth and had to be shipped over.....bloke rekons he is making no monday on the sale after factoring in freight...my gain, his loss.

Correction on the wheel specs.....they are 17x9 not 17x8's.

Had to chase up lock ring bolts for 2 of the wheels because they were missing.
Had to chase up metal 90 deg tyre valves to clamp on as standard tyre valves wont work with the lock ring interferring.

Black wheel nuts for the wheels too as I sold my original ones with my original steelies.

slow process...hanging to make a start on this....3 weeks wasted so far :cry:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Hilux Max on Sat, 19 May 2018 5:20 +0000

So things have finally started happening :mrgreen:

The tyres arrived......and boy are they large for a 35" tyre! :o :shock: As they were, off the rim they measured up as 34.5" by 12" wide. so thatd grow a little once fitted and inflated.

Click image for full view

Was interested to see this warning label fitted to the tyres.

Then it was time to mount the tyres to the beadlock rims. This was a challenge. I had never done this before but was determined to try something new and learn along the way, The top lock ring was difficult to get started with the bolts. I ended up spraying tyre silicon on both beads to help the bottom side slip onto the wheel and help the lock ring settle and position itself properly. Gee, a bit of thought and muscle was required to get 2 to 3 bolts started......and once I did get 3 bolts in, wouldnt you beleive it......I forgot to add the balance beads inside the tyre. :x :oops:

Bugger......remove the 3 bolts and lock ring, drop the beads in and start again :roll:

These are the beadlock balancing beads below, and also an image of the metal 90 degree tyre valves I source and fitted. each bead bag equates to 12 oz .

So the massacre started last night. :twisted:
The line seen (if you zoom in) is 60mm above the bottom edge of flare.

Why 60mm?

25mm for tyre clearance.
5mm for the extra thickness of the flsre underneath (so i get a true 25mm when cut).
And another 30mm above is to allow room for the rubber sidemount flare to.push up against the plastic flare, sealing it off, and it is the overall height including where the mounting tech screws will sit.

The panel itself will be cut later, after the sidemount flares are mounted, and ill cut the remaining good one inch below the mounting bolts.

Line is 60mm across the top and progressively increasing to 70mm towards the back end. And a little less towards the front end.

My aim also was to make it all blend well with the front bar edge as that was difficult on my N70 and didnt end up as I had planned back then.

First cut :shock:

For reference for those trimming rear of fender and wanting somehow to mount the inner fender liner still.

I originally cut and made my own bracket off a piece of the fender i originslly took off.

It had the square hole for the factory clip. I cut it to size, drilled a hole in the side of the bracket and the fender and pop riveted it to hold it back. The fender flare covered it all.

Another pic below of that bracket now removed.

I then tech screwed the rubber sidemount flare hard up against the underside of the cut plastic flares with tech screws hard up on the underside as you will see in photos below.

The Flares extend 30 to 40mm past the plastic flare depending where on the plastic flares profile.

View from underneath. I will be cutting everything off fromna few mm below where the screws are mounted.

This will give me 30mm extra clearance across the top extending to 40mm extra clearance towards the rear of the fender opening.

I will endeavour to keep as much of the inner plastic liner as I can in this whole process. will see how we go over the weekend.

Final step ;ast night was to clean all surfaces and seal the mating surfaces between the cut flare and rubber ine with black silicon. Ill clean this up a littke more later on iff the panel once it dries with a razor blade.

Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Tyler1993 on Sat, 19 May 2018 6:20 +0000

Nice work as always max. Can’t wait to see the 35s on.

Have you used the balancing beads before?
How do they go, I’ve had my bfg’s balanced 4 times and still have a shudder between 80-100klms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tyler1993

Postby Hilux Max on Sat, 19 May 2018 6:52 +0000

Tyler1993 wrote:Nice work as always max. Can’t wait to see the 35s on.

Have you used the balancing beads before?
How do they go, I’ve had my bfg’s balanced 4 times and still have a shudder between 80-100klms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers. No i havent used em before but others that have swear by them and thats a good enough reccomendation for me. Thing with stick on weights is thry can get knocked and come off and with the extra weight of the lock ring and bolts on ome side youd need a lot of weight on the inner side.

Someone, through physics, the balance beads find the right spot to settle with centrifugal force. Will see i guess.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Previous

Return to Member Build Ups