starter engages when key turned off

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

starter engages when key turned off

Postby mrt54 on Thu, 19 Jan 2023 7:32 +0000

Hi everyone, I have searched and not been able to find a thread, and have never heard of this problem before.
Sometimes when turning the engine off the starter engages, I can take the key out and it keeps turning over, turn the key on and the engine starts up, sometimes have to turn the key on and off multiple times to get it to shut down properly.
Sounds like the starter disengages when the engine is running, but re engages when the key is turned off.
No lights or faults appear on the dash and all fuses seem to be in order, anyone got any ideas?
Thanks.
mrt54

Re: starter engages when key turned off

Postby Rob_Wood on Thu, 19 Jan 2023 10:09 +0000

Sounds like a fault in the actual key switch. Under warranty? Take it back. Out of warranty? Take it to an auto electrician.
Rob_Wood

Re: starter engages when key turned off

Postby mrt54 on Sat, 28 Jan 2023 7:08 +0000

Solved,faulty starter solenoid. Dealership wanted two weeks to make a diagnostic booking so they could discount any aftermarket dual battery problems, saying the only time they had seen the problem like that was when a prado had rain water run down uhf antenna wire into a juntion and caused self cranking of the starter at random times.
I got auto lecky to have a look, he simply isolated the starter wire, connected it again while the car was started, then disconnected it and the starter kept running.
After market starter purchased and fitted for $400 next day, warranty claim would have taken 2-3 weeks so was cancelled.
mrt54

Return to General Discussion