Re: Malfunction message

Postby Rob_Wood on Wed, 15 Jun 2022 2:15 +0000

Tony2 wrote:The part is $1185 plus GST Rob

OK, I guess I missed something, sorry.
Rob_Wood

Postby Tony2 on Mon, 27 Jun 2022 5:24 +0000

Update:
Last Wednesday I sent this email, still haven't heard back...

Hi Peter, thanks for the reply.
I have been thinking daily about the situation I am in. The fact is I have paid over fifty thousand dollars for a four wheel drive that after just 69,000km and 5 years cannot be driven off road. The reason is not because of wear or damage, it's simply a manufacturing defect. The actuator is temperamental and the computer history shows this. You (Toyota) are asking me for approximately $1200 to replace this temperamental part. I think this is unfair.
I believe you have sold me a vehicle that is not of acceptable quality and has not met a reasonable level of consumer expectation.
I do not want to take this to the ombudsman, I would much prefer to resolve this in a fair manner before it goes that far.
I am willing to contribute something to the part replacement cost just to get the job done but certainly not the high amount you have asked.
Can you please help me further with this distressing matter?
I await your reply.
Regards,
Tony
Tony2

Postby Rob_Wood on Mon, 27 Jun 2022 5:31 +0000

Tony2 wrote:Update:
Last Wednesday I sent this email, still haven't heard back...

Hi Peter, thanks for the reply.
I have been thinking daily about the situation I am in. The fact is I have paid over fifty thousand dollars for a four wheel drive that after just 69,000km and 5 years cannot be driven off road. The reason is not because of wear or damage, it's simply a manufacturing defect. The actuator is temperamental and the computer history shows this. You (Toyota) are asking me for approximately $1200 to replace this temperamental part. I think this is unfair.
I believe you have sold me a vehicle that is not of acceptable quality and has not met a reasonable level of consumer expectation.
I do not want to take this to the ombudsman, I would much prefer to resolve this in a fair manner before it goes that far.
I am willing to contribute something to the part replacement cost just to get the job done but certainly not the high amount you have asked.
Can you please help me further with this distressing matter?
I await your reply.
Regards,
Tony

Tony,
It all sounds like something I would write. ;) In NSW you'd need to start with "Fair Trading", they have a section specially for this stuff. I believe that Victoria has a similar Government Mob to deal with these things. I don't believe it is an ombudsman, but your point is well put to them. May I suggest you research the correct mob to deal with before they call you so that you are properly prepared for any call you might receive? Just a thought.
Rob_Wood

Postby Gipsy on Tue, 28 Jun 2022 2:54 +0000

Yes Rob fair trading is your first stop.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Tony2 on Wed, 29 Jun 2022 2:42 +0000

Thanks guys, yeah I'll go to fair trading if the matter is ignored, I'll give them another week to respond.
I had a good result with the ombudsman earlier this year, my bank (ANZ) kept reopening an old bank account of mine (which I had to shut down a few times). Once the ombudsman got involved they miraculously shut it down permanently and gave me $500 as goodwill compensation.
I'll let you know what happens, it's annoying that I cant go off road.
Tony2

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 29 Jun 2022 3:27 +0000

Stick to the "not suitable for purpose" argument, don't be distracted by spurious issues.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Tony2 on Wed, 13 Jul 2022 5:46 +0000

Update:
Ok so I finally received an email from Guest Toyota stating they can only process a claim which is made from a dealership, in other words they can't modify what is asked for. In the claim Preston Toyota asked for a free part and they agreed to that. Guest Toyota told me if I wanted the 'fitting cost' covered I would have to submit a new claim and it would be assessed.
I wrote an email to Preston Toyota asking them to submit a new claim and today was given a long winded explanation about why they have to follow the correct fitting procedure for warranty purposes and the cost is fair (totalling about $1400). They're saying the fitting cost is not going to be covered, full stop.
So I just went onto the Fair trading Victoria website and couldn't find anything related to helping me with my predicament. Just links to business dispute advise.
At a loss, feeling absolutely shafted. Toyota have basically said their 4 wheel drive systems are not backed to operate beyond 69k or 5 years.
They know the actuator has history, they know its not a wearing issue or damage issue. They know its a temperamental part from manufacture, they just think 5 years is a fair amount of time for their 4wd system to work.
Buyer beware.
Tony2

Postby White 4x4 on Wed, 13 Jul 2022 8:33 +0000

After the dpf that has been on going and now class action against Toyota , I also have been putting up with noisy timing chain on the 2019 Hilux for over 18 months and keep being told that there’s no noise with 2 independent mecanhics telling me you have a timing chain issue this will definitely be the last Toyota I will own.
White 4x4

Postby Rob_Wood on Thu, 14 Jul 2022 8:12 +0000

Tony2 wrote:Update:
Ok so I finally received an email from Guest Toyota stating they can only process a claim which is made from a dealership, in other words they can't modify what is asked for. In the claim Preston Toyota asked for a free part and they agreed to that. Guest Toyota told me if I wanted the 'fitting cost' covered I would have to submit a new claim and it would be assessed.
I wrote an email to Preston Toyota asking them to submit a new claim and today was given a long winded explanation about why they have to follow the correct fitting procedure for warranty purposes and the cost is fair (totalling about $1400). They're saying the fitting cost is not going to be covered, full stop.
So I just went onto the Fair trading Victoria website and couldn't find anything related to helping me with my predicament. Just links to business dispute advise.
At a loss, feeling absolutely shafted. Toyota have basically said their 4 wheel drive systems are not backed to operate beyond 69k or 5 years.
They know the actuator has history, they know its not a wearing issue or damage issue. They know its a temperamental part from manufacture, they just think 5 years is a fair amount of time for their 4wd system to work.
Buyer beware.

"A Current Affair"???
Rob_Wood

Postby Rob_Wood on Thu, 14 Jul 2022 8:13 +0000

White 4x4 wrote:After the dpf that has been on going and now class action against Toyota , I also have been putting up with noisy timing chain on the 2019 Hilux for over 18 months and keep being told that there’s no noise with 2 independent mecanhics telling me you have a timing chain issue this will definitely be the last Toyota I will own.

If you haven't already, then may I suggest you post this issue in a new thread on the forum so that everyone can offer you possibly multiple solutions to consider. Maybe it is a known issue that someone else has an easy fix for?
Rob_Wood

Postby Mudgee mud on Sat, 16 Jul 2022 4:23 +0000

I would get an auto sparky to check the harness to it. I've heard of them stuffing up right at the connector to the actuator
Mudgee mud

Postby Tony2 on Sun, 28 Aug 2022 5:52 +0000

Mudgee mud wrote:I would get an auto sparky to check the harness to it. I've heard of them stuffing up right at the connector to the actuator

Interesting.
It's booked in to get done in about ten days. I just have to spend the $1300.
I was in the snow for a few days last week and every time I wanted to go from 4wd to 2wd or back I had to get under the car and tap it with an axe. That seemed a reliable way to get it to operate.
Snow is one thing, dirty, rocky off road tracks are another. Very dangerous. I haven't been able to go 4wding for many months now.
Tony2

Postby Rob_Wood on Sun, 28 Aug 2022 8:43 +0000

Tony2 wrote:
Mudgee mud wrote:I would get an auto sparky to check the harness to it. I've heard of them stuffing up right at the connector to the actuator

Interesting.
It's booked in to get done in about ten days. I just have to spend the $1300.
I was in the snow for a few days last week and every time I wanted to go from 4wd to 2wd or back I had to get under the car and tap it with an axe. That seemed a reliable way to get it to operate.
Snow is one thing, dirty, rocky off road tracks are another. Very dangerous. I haven't been able to go 4wding for many months now.

Your "Snowy Solution" is renowned as a temporary fix for a sticky solenoid in a starter motor. If it is the actuator solenoid you're tapping, then it indicates some kind of issue IN that solenoid. Whether the issue is electrical (lose connection/ broken wire core) or mechanical (dirt or dust jamming the solenoid actuation) it shouldn't be too hard to sort out from here. Either way a replacement solenoid (including fitting) should NEVER cost $1300.
Rob_Wood

Postby Tony2 on Sat, 10 Sep 2022 5:20 +0000

Update.
Ok so I took the car down on Monday evening for a long-time scheduled Tuesday/Wednesday fitting. They told me the part hadn't arrived so I took the car and told them to contact me when it arrives. 24hrs later it arrived and I took the car back down for a Wed/Thu fitting. In true Preston Toyota fashion the car was just being put back together Friday afternoon. Apparently they changed the actuator out and the faulty message came up again, so they dismantled the transfer case and tried again. They tested it on their dirt road and apparently it worked ok.
Astonishingly they only charged me $814 which was amazing.
So I have the car back now, can't wait to get it out on a track. Not overly confident but I'll let you all know if it's still not fixed. Hopefully this is my last post regarding the issue.
Tony2

Postby Gipsy on Sat, 10 Sep 2022 6:03 +0000

So did they tell you what the problem is? Transfer case?? Maybe some red faces is why the bill was unexpectedly low? Maybe it wasn't the actuator problem after all?
Gipsy

Postby Tony2 on Sat, 10 Sep 2022 2:36 +0000

Gipsy wrote:So did they tell you what the problem is? Transfer case?? Maybe some red faces is why the bill was unexpectedly low? Maybe it wasn't the actuator problem after all?

Yeah it felt a bit little like that when I picked it up.
They said it would be ready for me to pickup at 4.30, I got there at 4.20 and I could see it ready to go in the pick up area. They didn't get to me until 5.20, they had to get the paper work ready.
I love that place.
Tony2

Postby Gipsy on Sun, 11 Sep 2022 6:25 +0000

Wow, the paperwork took longer than the rebuild :lol: :lol:
Not sure about the laws where you are but as far as I know in NSW they're required to tell you what they have done and show you the parts they changed if asked. ;)
Gipsy

Postby Rob_Wood on Sun, 11 Sep 2022 9:41 +0000

Just had a little read-back & it looks like things might be moving more towards the positives. Hope it all goes well Tony, be nice to get a final update if all goes well after you've "checked it out" and found it all to be good.
Rob_Wood

Postby Allords on Tue, 06 Dec 2022 9:09 +0000

Was this a used taliban gun platform
Allords

Previous

Return to General Discussion