Malfunction message

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Malfunction message

Postby Tony2 on Sun, 01 May 2022 11:10 +0000

Edited:
Ok so this is the full story.
The car is a 2017 make so its out of warranty. When it was coming out of warranty in 2020 the 4WD system got stuck so I took it to Toyota Preston (Vic) where the mechanic freed it up. I remember him saying they 'reset the actuator'. Ok, so everything has worked fine ever since.
On Friday I was in a carpark (hadn't been in 4WD in months) and the '2WD-4WD mode change malfunction' message suddenly came up. The car could not be put into 4wd. I took the terminal off for 35mins and it rebooted, everything back to normal.
Called my mechanic, had a chat and he said just carry on as normal and if the message ever comes back bring it in and we'll plug it in.
On Saturday I was off road and half way through a difficult track the message comes back on. Rebooting didn't work this time so I had to nurse it back to Melbourne.
It got plugged in this morning and apparently it is the actuator. It said the actuator motor switch for the transfer case wasn't working. The mechanic got underneath, gave the plastic box a light tap and just like magic the transfer case changed it back into 2wd and the message is gone. Car's back to normal.
He called Toyota parts and they said they had stock ready to send out (which is interesting) and they are about $1300!
Now the actuator has never copped a knock (I have a long bash plate protecting it) and I hardly ever drive through water and mud, I actually try to avoid driving through mud when I'm wheeling and there's no rivers where I go.
My mechanic reckons it is probably water damaged, he reckons the new transfer cases don't seal as well as the old versions, but he said that's just him guessing.
My problem is I can't trust this car now and the part is $1300. I'm going to write an email now to Toyota Australia and ask them to help cover the cost of a new actuator. Any other brand and this would be covered under warranty, 3 years is a bit of a joke.
I'll let you all know what happens.
Last edited by Tony2 on Mon, 02 May 2022 8:35 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
Tony2

Re: Malfunction message

Postby dave g on Sun, 01 May 2022 4:12 +0000

Just posted on the ather post
On the binding up Jack up the front and take the pressure off the drive line
dave g

Postby Tony2 on Sun, 01 May 2022 5:14 +0000

dave g wrote:Just posted on the ather post
On the binding up Jack up the front and take the pressure off the drive line

Did that, the car seems fine
Tony2

Postby dave g on Sun, 01 May 2022 6:56 +0000

Did you get it out of 4wd
dave g

Postby Tony2 on Mon, 02 May 2022 5:13 +0000

dave g wrote:Did you get it out of 4wd

Going to the mechanic first thing this morning to plug it in.
I think so but its actually hard to tell. I'll jack up a front wheel now before it goes
Tony2

Postby dave g on Mon, 02 May 2022 10:55 +0000

Would have been better if you would told the full story in the first place to give people better idea of what was going on.
dave g

Postby Tony2 on Sat, 07 May 2022 5:17 +0000

dave g wrote:Would have been better if you would told the full story in the first place to give people better idea of what was going on.

Don't know how that effects anything, I just told the same story but without the historical anomaly.

Toyota emailed me a reference number and told me someone will be in contact with me in the coming days, that was a week ago. Haven't heard back yet.
Tony2

Postby dave g on Sat, 07 May 2022 7:59 +0000

Your 1st post was 5 lines
Not a word of having had trouble with the actuator being stuck before.
You said stuck in 4wd and binding up.
dave g

Postby Toyanon on Sun, 08 May 2022 6:15 +0000

Hi Dave,

Even though your vehicle is 5 years old, any competent dealer should be able submit for warranty assistance. You may end only up getting parts only, but better than nothing.

This message can come up when the 4wd ECU is unsure of various actuators current position. Not just transfer case but also front differential too. Most of the time it is due to water ingress down the breather tubes. Sometimes they get damaged from sticks, but other times things like "front differential drops" reposition the breather tube and they rub through on the power steering rack.

Might be worth having a quick sticky beak.
Toyanon

Postby Tony2 on Tue, 10 May 2022 4:33 +0000

dave g wrote:Your 1st post was 5 lines
Not a word of having had trouble with the actuator being stuck before.
You said stuck in 4wd and binding up.

That's exactly correct. It was stuck in 4WD and binding up.
I had to take a day off work to sort it out, wish I knew all I needed to do was climb under and tap the actuator with the back of a screw driver.
The car has always been a bit slow to go in and out of 4WD, does everyone else experience the same?
Tony2

Postby Tony2 on Tue, 10 May 2022 4:38 +0000

Toyanon wrote:Hi Dave,

Even though your vehicle is 5 years old, any competent dealer should be able submit for warranty assistance. You may end only up getting parts only, but better than nothing.

This message can come up when the 4wd ECU is unsure of various actuators current position. Not just transfer case but also front differential too. Most of the time it is due to water ingress down the breather tubes. Sometimes they get damaged from sticks, but other times things like "front differential drops" reposition the breather tube and they rub through on the power steering rack.

Might be worth having a quick sticky beak.

The part is a three minute job to fit, a few bolts and 'plug and play', so if they offer the part I'll be very thankful.

I can't even see where the breather tube is for the transfer case but I'll get under and check again, thanks for the advice.
Tony2

Postby Tony2 on Tue, 10 May 2022 5:02 +0000

Update.
Ok so Toyota called today, 8 day turnaround which I suppose isn't too bad.
They asked me to take the vehicle into Toyota Preston, pay the $1300 for a new actuator and have it fitted. Then I am to apply for 'guest support'. The woman said that they will assess the claim and decide on whether to pay nothing, part or all of the purchase money back.
Feeling a bit vulnerable here, they could easily say 'sorry it's out of warranty' and there goes a big wad of money.
Tony2

Postby Tony2 on Mon, 23 May 2022 2:34 +0000

Update Mon 23/5. Toyota called me back and said I actually don't need to pay to have it done (and then make a claim), they'll just assess the car on Wednesday and either offer a new part or not.
I have to drop the car off Tuesday arvo (tomorrow) and pick it up Wed arvo.
Big inconvenience but I desperately need to get this sorted because I can't risk taking it off road again and I have trips planned! The message hasn't come back up for a few weeks so I have no idea how they plan on diagnosing the actuator as faulty. It's currently going in and out of 4WD without issue. they know this but have asked for it anyway.
This whole ordeal is extremely annoying.
I've only had about 20-25 4WD days in the short life of the car so this is clearly not a 'wearing' issue or 'broken' issue, its simply a temperamental part issue.
Fingers crossed they do the right thing, I run a business myself and I know what I would do.
Tony2

Postby Rob_Wood on Mon, 23 May 2022 8:56 +0000

Tony2 wrote:Update Mon 23/5. Toyota called me back and said I actually don't need to pay to have it done (and then make a claim), they'll just assess the car on Wednesday and either offer a new part or not.
Big inconvenience but I desperately need to get this sorted because I can't risk taking it off road again and I have trips planned! The message hasn't come back up for a few weeks so I have no idea how they plan on diagnosing the actuator as faulty. It's currently going in and out of 4WD without issue. they know this but have asked for it anyway.
I've only had about 20-25 4WD days in the short life of the car so this is clearly not a 'wearing' issue or 'broken' issue, its simply a temperamental part issue.

Every now & Then a small burr or little piece of grit can get stuck in the wrong spot during the manufacturing process and instantly you have an intermittent fault. Be thankful that Toyota did actually call you back, this doesn't happen as often as it should. I wish you well with the outcome.

Tony2 wrote:Fingers crossed they do the right thing, I run a business myself and I know what I would do.

Remember you said this next time some grumpy prick walks through your door :) :) :)
Rob_Wood

Postby Tony2 on Tue, 24 May 2022 3:25 +0000

Rob_Wood wrote:
Tony2 wrote:Update Mon 23/5. Toyota called me back and said I actually don't need to pay to have it done (and then make a claim), they'll just assess the car on Wednesday and either offer a new part or not.

Every now & Then a small burr or little piece of grit can get stuck in the wrong spot during the manufacturing process and instantly you have an intermittent fault. Be thankful that Toyota did actually call you back, this doesn't happen as often as it should. I wish you well with the outcome.

Tony2 wrote:Fingers crossed they do the right thing, I run a business myself and I know what I would do.

Remember you said this next time some grumpy prick walks through your door :) :) :)

Cheers Rob. I run a bricklaying business so I don't have a front door.
I've dropped the car off, fingers crossed they help me out.
Tony2

Postby Tony2 on Sun, 12 Jun 2022 9:07 +0000

Update:
Ok so the Preston Toyota dealership requested the car for the whole day so that they could do the DPF upgrade and formally diagnose the issue. The booking date was inconvenient but hey, thats cars. So I dropped it off and picked it up 24hrs later, all they had done is upload the data and confirmed it was the actuator. Nice.
A bit over a week later Guest Toyota told me in an email that the part has been approved at no charge. That's great but there was a catch, only the dealership is allowed to fit it.
So I researched the cost and apparently the average swap out cost is $350. My trusted mechanic friend said it was a 15min job. Simple to get to, unplug, a few bolts, slide out old, slide in new, some gasket seal and 'plug and play'.
When I went to book it in with Preston Toyota they said it is a 6hr job and they want $1000 plus. I expected something outrageous from them but not that silly, they certainly live up to their reputation.
Anyway I've decided to go to a different dealership and try for a bit of honesty. I'll post another update soon
Tony2

Postby Rob_Wood on Sun, 12 Jun 2022 11:10 +0000

Tony2 wrote:Update:
My trusted mechanic friend said it was a 15min job. Simple to get to, unplug, a few bolts, slide out old, slide in new, some gasket seal and 'plug and play'.

Get the trusted Mechanic Friend to do the job?

Tony2 wrote:I'll post another update soon

Looking forward to it.
Rob_Wood

Postby Tony2 on Mon, 13 Jun 2022 5:02 +0000

I would Rob but as I said Toyota will only give me the part free if I get it fitted by the Toyota dealership that diagnosed it and Preston Toyota are genuine swindlers.

I just finished watching a video of one being changed out of a 2016 Hilux (same car). It is a little more fiddly than I thought because when you open it up the cogs slip down. It's more realistically a half hour job from start to finish and should be done by a competent person (mechanic).
Feeling a bit cornered and vulnerable to be honest. I would have thought a Toyota would guarantee a 4WD would be able to change into 4WD after just 69,000km.
Tony2

Postby dave g on Mon, 13 Jun 2022 5:54 +0000

Send a email to Toyota and ask them what is the recommended fitting time.
dave g

Postby Rob_Wood on Mon, 13 Jun 2022 8:04 +0000

dave g wrote:Send a email to Toyota and ask them what is the recommended fitting time.

I'm guessing Dave means Toyota Australia and not to the dealership you've been talking to.
And then remember that if worst come to worst you said the "average swap out cost" was around $350. Buying the part and getting your trusted mate to do it is still gonna be cheaper than the $1000 you were quoted by Toyota.
Rob_Wood

Next

Return to General Discussion