New Hilux Model Differences

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

New Hilux Model Differences

Postby Kryptik on Sun, 27 Mar 2022 5:06 +0000

So I am looking at buying a new Hilux in Australia. There are quite a few different models available. The main ones I am interested in are the SR5, Rogue and Rugged X. I have spoken with quite a few dealers here in Victoria and I keep getting different answers so I am hoping that someone with mechanical knowledge on this forum might be able to help me.

I am aware of the feature and cosmetic differences on the different models but what I am not sure about is are all of them fundamentally the same vehicle? eg: all of them come into the country as an SR5 and then the different features get slapped on or do they come to Australia as totally different vehicles? I have asked many dealers and aftermarket accessory suppliers this question and I am getting both yesses and nos. The most common answer that I am getting is that the Rogue and Rugged X are essentially final builds and that they can't really be modified further.

Some of the aftermarket suppliers have even said to me that if I was to purchase a Rogue or Rugged X and wanted a commercial style bull bar fitted that I would need to completely remove the Rogue / Rugged X front end and replace it with a SR5 front end and get lots of fabrication work done to make it all work.

At the end of the day what I am looking for in my new Hilux is a bull bar, winch, side steps, snorkel, and maybe scrub bars. Ideally I would like front and rear parking sensors too but I have been told by dealers that these can play up when installed in steel bars, which is why the Rugged X doesn't come with them. I am looking at doing some towing of a caravan too so I have been looking at Clear View towing mirrors also but I have been told by them that they don't make mirrors for the Rogue yet(cameras in mirrors).

From the research that I have done the Rugged X ticks all of the boxes except for the winch from factory. Which I understand can be added on later with a winch cradle and hoopless steel bull bar winch conversion kit, however even with the standard bull bar that comes with the Rugged X I have been told both that any winch will fit and also that there are only a few winches that will fit into the small cavity.

If anyone can help me out here with mechanical information that would be great as I am so confused at the moment.
Kryptik

Re: New Hilux Model Differences

Postby peterjj on Sun, 27 Mar 2022 6:20 +0000

Rugged X and Rogue comes into Australia as an SR5 then get modified, see here... https://www.drive.com.au/news/toyota-hi ... e-to-life/
I have a Rugged X, does not come with the parking sensor but reverse camera helps and I plan on fitting a front camera. (The vehicle is long so I agree assistance is needed squeezing into some spots).
There are aftermarket kits for 360deg cameras (in mirrors etc) but haven't yet done the research to find what is good.
I am also getting the Toyota fitted (warn) winch and toyota fitted (redarc) auxiliary battery kit. (easier to sneek the spend in at purchase than convince wife later on, plus gets covered by toyota 5yr warranty). The hoopless front bar looks like it fits the same as any other bumper replacement bullbar so I see no problem if you really want to replace it with full size bullbar.
2022 Rugged-X
2008 RangeRoverSportTDV8
peterjj

Postby speedster1930 on Tue, 10 Oct 2023 7:57 +0000

If the Rugged X begins life as an SR5, it seems logical to assume that I could retrofit a Rugged X bull bar to my MY 2021 SR5. Is that correct?
speedster1930

Postby Gipsy on Tue, 10 Oct 2023 11:16 +0000

Probably ;)
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Rob_Wood on Tue, 10 Oct 2023 6:23 +0000

speedster1930 wrote:If the Rugged X begins life as an SR5, it seems logical to assume that I could retrofit a Rugged X bull bar to my MY 2021 SR5. Is that correct?

Wouldn't hurt to check the Certification label on the bar before spending the pennies, just to check the bar is properly certified for your model vehicle.
Rob_Wood

Return to General Discussion