Setting yourself up for offroading

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Setting yourself up for offroading

Postby Tony2 on Wed, 22 Dec 2021 7:31 +0000

Hey guys, Tony here.
I comfortably do hard tracks in my 2017 Hilux and I want to share a few points of valuable knowledge I've built up along the way for those who are interested in being able to wheel the harder tracks as well.
The basic 4x4 'legal' upgrades I have are 2inch lift (Fulcrum/Bilsein package, diff drop and adjustable upper control arms), 33" muddies, safari snorkel, Harrop E-locker (she's twin locked), rocksliders, winch (you have to upgrade the battery to at least 700CCA and get ip68 rated) and full length bash plates. (I have other accessories like bull bar, UHF radio, catch can etc but I don't want to list everything.)
Firstly tyres. I ran KM2's (great tyre), now I run Maxxis MT772 (also great tyre). If you have a two inch lift the maximum size that you can fit (without serious scrubbing) is 285/70R17 on a positive 10 rim (stock rims are P30 so you're coming out 20mm a side). Thats the Hilux maxed out (you have to take the front mudflaps off and have your castors moved forward etc). They work and you'll never be pulled over for tyres faring out because they only just poke out and that's exactly what you want for off roading.
Secondly, get the upper control arms when doing your lift! Super important, you'll have a jarring experience if you don't.
Third, get the snorkel fully sealed and get a filter head for it.
And lastly, do your research when finding places to fit your gear.
Cheers guys.
Tony
Do right, do once.
Tony2

Re: Setting yourself up for offroading

Postby 241steve on Thu, 23 Dec 2021 8:05 +0000

Is there any point to doing a diff drop to get 33 inch wheels ? Opposed to 32 inch wheels 265*75/16.
The idea for me is to put some lift under the lux and get back onto a set of bighorn maxxis mud tyres
I ended up with a Detroit in the back for now may change the ratio when I change the wheels.
241steve

Postby Tony2 on Sun, 26 Dec 2021 7:21 +0000

241steve wrote:Is there any point to doing a diff drop to get 33 inch wheels ? Opposed to 32 inch wheels 265*75/16.
The idea for me is to put some lift under the lux and get back onto a set of bighorn maxxis mud tyres
I ended up with a Detroit in the back for now may change the ratio when I change the wheels.

The 265/75R16 tyre is a 31.6 tyre and you don't need a lift to run those.
Fitting 285/70R17 (32.7 actual) is for that extra clearance under the back diff (for ruts etc). The car is an IFS so front clearance is never really an issue even without a lift.
A diff drop to a lifted vehicle lowers the front diff about 28mm (of your 60mm lift), so combined with your taller tyre your still at least 60mm above stock height. The diff drop helps a lot with wear to your CVs and bearings etc and most suspension places will highly recommend it.
I always carry a spare CV just in case but that's only because I do the harder tracks and I don't mind lifting wheels.
Keeping the hilux as light as possible and getting the tyre pressures right down is the key to out driving most 4x4s.
Tony2

Postby Hilux Max on Fri, 21 Jan 2022 2:42 +0000

The other major benefit of running a proper braced diff drop is upgraded strength. As has been shown on this forum many years ago, standard diff brackets can bend, thus causing ongoing cv shaft issues. A proper diff drop stops that from happening.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Hilux Max on Fri, 21 Jan 2022 3:05 +0000

For those interested in offroading their hilux, have a read of this article - https://online.fliphtml5.com/gnfyo/jeaj/#p=86

https://online.fliphtml5.com/gnfyo/jeaj/#p=86
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Tony2 on Fri, 21 Jan 2022 1:57 +0000

Cheers for that Max.
For the record I'm not a fan of rear bar work on the n80 hilux, it takes away too much departure angle.
My hilux is well set up and I've done some double diamond tracks in it. My rear bar has taken plenty of hard knocks (having said that I do have the tow bar which I take the tow ball out of for better angle). The point is despite the rear bar banging into rocks it's still in remarkably good condition. It can actually take more weight than you think.
And yes I know, I'm living on borrowed time.
Tony2

Return to General Discussion