Rear Seat Slimline Battery

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Rear Seat Slimline Battery

Postby JaegerBombastic on Wed, 22 Sep 2021 8:50 +0000

Hello everyone,

I made an account just for this, I’ve spent all yesterday and today trying to find examples of people who have installed a slimline battery behind their rear seat. Specifically this one from kickass:

https://www.australiandirect.com.au/buy ... T120WIRVSR

I have a secondary fuel pre-filter installed which takes up a fair bit of room in the empty space where the dual battery tray is meant to go in the engine bay. I’m thinking that a slimline battery behind the rear seat is the go because it will also keep the battery away from engine heat and water exposure. I know thats not really a big deal but less wear and tear can’t be a bad thing. I’m wanting to install this myself in my 2021 SR5 dual cab. Has anyone managed to install any slimline battery behind their rear seat, just looking to see if it’s possible before I buy something that won’t fit.

If this has already been answered elsewhere I’d love to see it because I haven’t been able to find it.
JaegerBombastic

Re: Rear Seat Slimline Battery

Postby ng_newbie on Thu, 23 Sep 2021 11:48 +0000

Not certain you can fold down seat like in the < '15 dual cabs

Check this

viewtopic.php?t=26980
In the market for

- Lokkas & someone to help me install it :)
- 24v Rattle gun - https://dewalt.com.au/products/dcf899hn ... -bare-unit
- 24v Freezer
- 24v Air Conditioner
- 24v Battery Pack - ozBATs.com
ng_newbie

Postby JaegerBombastic on Thu, 23 Sep 2021 1:31 +0000

Yeah Newbie, I’ve read through that thread, the last reply in it is the same question I have but hasn’t been answered.

And I wouldn’t be bothered with being unable to fold the seats down, I’d take the bench out to fit the battery then set and forget.
JaegerBombastic

Postby ggreenie on Sat, 25 Sep 2021 5:26 +0000

It’s been done…

https://youtu.be/-p2pQatG044
ggreenie

Postby Myralga on Tue, 28 Sep 2021 12:34 +0000

The you tube video shows you a lot.

Just to add there is no way 15+ can do a seat fold like the pre 15s as the upright part of the seat never moves.
This creates a huge dead space so great idea for a dual battery etc in there.
Personally I put a ARB Dual comp, linx control unit and ARB Valve bank (Linx pressure control, air bag control and locker) in the space of a show car to show what’s possible.
Also ARB just released in the last couple weeks a Mount plate for a single compressor behind there have not seen it in person just yet.
My own car has a 80L water bladder behind there so your options are endless really once you think it out etc.

Happy modding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Postby JaegerBombastic on Tue, 28 Sep 2021 10:09 +0000

ggreenie cheers for the video. I noticed he had to cut out a bit of the cab wall and seal up that hole. He also didn’t use a bracket/ battery holder he just tied it to the cab floor.

I’m sure it’s been done but I’ve yet to find videos or images on the internet of people using a bracket and/or a cleaner or less intrusive way of putting a battery back there.

Myralga, what’d you use to mount your compressor? Did you make a bracket? Did it have any mounting holes that would line up to anywhere in particular to the cab? Did you have to cut much stuff out from behind the seats to fit all that?
JaegerBombastic

Postby Myralga on Wed, 06 Oct 2021 9:44 +0000

JaegerBombastic wrote:
Myralga, what’d you use to mount your compressor? Did you make a bracket? Did it have any mounting holes that would line up to anywhere in particular to the cab? Did you have to cut much stuff out from behind the seats to fit all that?

I am used to doing a lot of custom work over the years but being a show car we were trying to show an ultra clean build while making it look factory. So because of this everything was painstakingly measured out and made to fit in and around the factory equipment.
ARB twin comp was hard mounted to the rear wall (just a couple of small spacers to adjust for various rear wall heights.) we also brace the rear wall on the outside to give it some more structure. Be this additional plates or oversize washers etc.
Linx and valve bank went on easily and we made everything disappear in behind the carpet.
The carpet and deadening/padding behind is actually quite thick in most places so you can make paths to run cables and lines etc behind it and it just looks like you mounted a couple things in a few minutes and was done. What you don’t see is the painstaking work of routing looms and airlines behind the scenes.
Also I had the luxury of doing all this without the tub or tray on the the ute which helped a lot.

My style of building is to build a big flashy car while trying to keep the elec and mods somewhat looking factory.
If I can hide it easily it will be hidden. If I can make it look relatively factory I will.
That’s why the market for things like factory style switches and no drill options like clic on phone mounts found a huge market because everyone these days wants their car modded but clean.

Myralga

Postby Tommo22 on Sun, 14 Nov 2021 3:51 +0000

Hey,

Yes you can fit a slim line battery behind the rear seat.

I just completed mine a couple days ago and fits in nicely

Tommo22

Postby ng_newbie on Mon, 17 Jan 2022 6:04 +0000

G'Day Guys

How are your Bats. going ?

I have always keep my LIBs in the tub which means very short cables and I have had to be creative about how to 'hide' them so they cannot be stolen. I don't believe in canopies !!!

Anyone done a water crossing after 'cutting' a hole ?
In the market for

- Lokkas & someone to help me install it :)
- 24v Rattle gun - https://dewalt.com.au/products/dcf899hn ... -bare-unit
- 24v Freezer
- 24v Air Conditioner
- 24v Battery Pack - ozBATs.com
ng_newbie

Postby Despe_22 on Tue, 30 May 2023 10:29 +0000

Where do the highlighted cables pass through to reach the engine compartment?

Despe_22

Return to General Discussion