First time UTE buyer - Need some advice before purchase

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

First time UTE buyer - Need some advice before purchase

Postby HMC on Fri, 02 Jul 2021 3:02 +0000

Hi all

New to the forum, but not new to Toyota having owned several in the past, and currently own two of them.

For the past year, my wife's been wrongfully using her 2019 Corolla hatchback as a UTE, hence after quite a bit of consideration we've decided that we'll be trading it in for an actual UTE in the very near future, a 2021 Hilux SR5.

However, this is totally new territory for me. What to consider? What to avoid?

I think we've got the brand settled on. We've weighed the pros-and-cons of the Amarok, Ranger and Hilux, and have in the end settled on the Hilux SR5 with the Ranger coming in a close second. I think one of the things that swayed us from Ford to stay with Toyota is how great our local Toyota dealer handles our current cars. Finding a good dealer is quite a hit-or-miss thing.

What I'd like some help with is the following:

1. Manual or automatic? My wife's a big manual fan, being from the UK. I prefer automatic.

2. Factory installed Toyota tub liner or aftermarket?

What other accessories are a must, and which ones are a waste of time?

Also, there's an option on Toyota's website to delete the factory-fitted chrome sports bar (roof roll bar) that comes standard on the SR5. Is the sports bar something that I should consider keeping or removing?

I haven't purchased yet, but knee-deep in pre-purchase research.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Regards

HMC
HMC

Re: First time UTE buyer - Need some advice before purchase

Postby HMC on Fri, 02 Jul 2021 3:05 +0000

Hi again. Forgot to add a sentence. The UTE will be used primarily to haul around gardening supplies and plants, and to tow a trailer.
HMC

Postby Gipsy on Sat, 03 Jul 2021 6:24 +0000

Get the automatic, you won't regret it and neither will your wife! Keep the sports bar (unless you plan on a canopy) because it's a good tiedown point and sr5 doesn't have any, liner is an option if you're transporting garden stuff but aftermarket is my preference because dealers don't always fit them well. Factory towbar essential in the deal, it's a great closer for the dealer. ;) All these 'options' are part of the haggle process but my wife ALWAYS insists on rubber floor mats because they're always easy to sweep out the grunge. My local dealer always says to the missus "yes I know you want floor mats". :lol: With your wife doing the haggling you'll probably get all these in the best price because dealers like to keep the missus happy! ;) They like to influence the missus because she is always the final decision-maker :D I wouldn't even consider anything but Hilux! Be prepared to walk and go to another dealer if they don't play YOUR game.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Cure on Sat, 03 Jul 2021 6:55 +0000

Ranger and new D-max are also nice choices
Cure

Postby Gipsy on Sat, 03 Jul 2021 7:49 +0000

Hilux is the highest-selling of all cars in Australia so this should indicate why to buy one. Yes the others are ok but sales figures have the final say! ;)
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby 241steve on Sun, 04 Jul 2021 6:19 +0000

buy the auto the last few auto Toyotas I ve driven seam to have more gutts than the manual as Im about due to change a clutch its a pain in the arse I cant think of any reason to shit gears anymore.
I don't think the new Hiluxs are as tuff as the old Japanese Hiluxs my 07 is a pos after Im done with it Ill never buy another Thailand Toyota they are nothing to write home about.
241steve

Postby Cure on Mon, 05 Jul 2021 6:15 +0000

Exactly
Cure

Postby hiluxxury on Mon, 05 Jul 2021 8:30 +0000

My n70 is a manual and I've had no problems with the clutch. I swapped it out at 250,000kms as I thought it was a good idea and I got a good deal on an aftermarket clutch. The old clutch still had plenty of life in it.

Like injectors, dpfs and other issues mentioned on this forum, there have been a number of users with clutch problems but its not the norm.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby Skrewdriver on Wed, 07 Jul 2021 10:06 +0000

Do not waste your time or money with a drop in tub liner. They are a rust maker for your car. The metal underneath the plastic does not breathe and starts to sweat, and in turn causes rust.

Look into a spray on liner. Rhino coat, Speed liner etc

I have it in my 2012 SR5 and it is the best $800 I have ever spent. It is chemical resistant, will not scratch, or be damaged. I have dragged multiple engine blocks, rocks, dirt, scrap metal, timber with nails even tried to damage it with a steel rake. Nothing will break it.

You will not regret having it applied.

And to clean it? Throw some car/truck wash into it or degreaser, scrub it down with a stiff bristle broom, hose it out and it will come up as good as new.

There are even different colour options available if you want, but most people go for standard black.
"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
George Santayana

E-Mail: pbialasinski@bigpond.com
Phone: (0407) 237723
Skrewdriver

Postby Tony2 on Wed, 07 Jul 2021 5:15 +0000

Hi HMC
All modern auto's come with sports shifting so if she really wants to chose the gears she can.
When it comes to sports bars, wheels, side steps etc, because they are stock parts that people change straight away you can buy them very cheaply on ebay, marketplace etc. So avoid paying Toyota rates if you can.
The car is a solid choice and amazing off road (you'll need to upgrade tyres if you want to do that though).
Enjoy!
Tony
Tony2

Return to General Discussion