White toxic smoke from Airvents

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

White toxic smoke from Airvents

Postby Unluckyalf on Sun, 21 Mar 2021 7:03 +0000

Hey, I just wanted to see if anyone else has had something similar to what i experienced yesterday.

I was just returning from a fishing trip yesterday afternoon. I had been on the road for perhaps 10 minutes when there was thick white smoke coming from air vents which was accompanied by a toxic smell. The smell was similar to something electronic giving up the ghost. The smoke lasted only for a few seconds. By the time i pulled over, the smoke was gone.

I pulled over and checked in the engine bay but wasnt unable to see anything obvious, and after a few minutes and realising that the hilux was not on fire i continued the rest of my journey home which was a little over an hour.

Im already booked in to the Toyota dealer next week for a replacement transfer case actuator, so ill get them to investigate this. Everything still seems to work though.
Unluckyalf

Re: White toxic smoke from Airvents

Postby Rob_Wood on Sun, 21 Mar 2021 12:28 +0000

Unluckyalf wrote:Hey, I just wanted to see if anyone else has had something similar to what i experienced yesterday.

I was just returning from a fishing trip yesterday afternoon. I had been on the road for perhaps 10 minutes when there was thick white smoke coming from air vents which was accompanied by a toxic smell. The smell was similar to something electronic giving up the ghost. The smoke lasted only for a few seconds. By the time i pulled over, the smoke was gone.

I pulled over and checked in the engine bay but wasnt unable to see anything obvious, and after a few minutes and realising that the hilux was not on fire i continued the rest of my journey home which was a little over an hour.

Im already booked in to the Toyota dealer next week for a replacement transfer case actuator, so ill get them to investigate this. Everything still seems to work though.

The only thing that comes to mind is back in the 90s my XF Ute split an AC Hose and dumped the gas into the fan intake. Smelt bad for a few moments with a gassy smokey stuff coming through and then it was gone, it wasn't until summer I found out I had no Air Con any more.
Rob_Wood

Postby dave g on Sun, 21 Mar 2021 2:54 +0000

AC would be the first thing to check turn it on to max and see if it gets cold if the presher is low the compressor will not click in you can see it with your own eyes.
dave g

Postby Unluckyalf on Mon, 22 Mar 2021 6:12 +0000

AC still working fine, though i guess that there isnt much else that would come solely through the vents.

Im up in the NT, you would very quickly know if the AC wasnt working :)
Unluckyalf

Return to General Discussion