2021 Hilux (GUN126R) SR seat and radar cruise control

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

2021 Hilux (GUN126R) SR seat and radar cruise control

Postby tonymaroney on Fri, 08 Jan 2021 4:03 +0000

Hi,
First post here, so hello to everyone!
I have a new 2020/1 (GUN126R) Hilux SR+ (which is an SR with an add on of a sat nav package plus A-deck tub and alloy wheels...but for the purposes of this post, it's a standard SR 4x4 2.8L GUN126R) and I really do love it. It's been effortlessly working on a rural property doing things that my last AWD just couldn't do. It's a very impressive vehicle and while I haven't had it long I've done a lot during that time (long distance driving, serious 4WD work, wet weather slippery work etc).
Three questions that I thought I'd ask just in case someone had a solution or comment...
1) The SR has the basic seat (fabric, no lumbar support or adjustment, no tilt etc). My back is rubbish and on the long drives (6 hours) the lack of lumbar support and the hard base without tilt just killed me. I got a lumber support thing from office works and it helped a lot with the hollow in the lumbar area, but overall I need to it to have better support, especially with the hard base seat. I couldn't afford the SR5, and the add-on that gives you the lumbar support seemed to require leather seats which I didn't want, so I'm stuck with the basic SR cloth seats. I'm interested to know if anyone has found on any good lumbar + base support cushions that they liked? Happy to see anything even from much older models that have worked for people with bad backs (sciatica pain etc).
2) The new Multi function display (MFD) and camera system is quite clever...it detects speed signs and has radar cruise control etc. One weird thing it does is that when radar cruise control is on and it overshoots the speed by 3-5 km/hr it beeps at you or displays a warning etc. I know how to change that (eg turn the beeping off) but the odd thing it does is when it overshoots the speed it shows you the silly radar cruise control icon on the MFD (even if your "home" screen was displaying the digital speed) so just when you want to know what the speed is on the digital display, you can't actually see the digital speed display without hitting the "home" button to bring the digital speed back to the top layer unless you wait 3-5 seconds. You can still look at the dial speedo yes, but it's not as accurate and I much prefer to know the digital value. Does anyone know how to prevent the radar cruise control icon from overriding the digital speed display when an alarm comes on? I'm happy to never see the radar cruise icon (even when it has just detected the car in front) because it doesn't tell you anything anyway.
3) When the radar cruise control is on and it comes up on a car that is slowing down faster than the engine braking can slow my car, the hilux automatically applies the brakes....works very well. With my last car it used to apply the brakes for normal cruise control if it overshot it by about 3 km/hr (regardless of whether a car was in front or not), and that was brilliant because you could be assured at all times that you would never get a speeding fine. The Hilux, when cresting a hill and there is no car in front can overshoot the speed by well over 7-10 km/hr and I "think" it does apply some brake when it really gets out of control (>10km/hr over setpoint). Does anyone know if the setpoint for radar cruise control can be set to apply the brakes when it overshoots by xx km/hr (preferably 3km/hr overshoot)? Note: the last car didn't wear out the brakes due to this feature, and remember that I am now having to apply the brakes anyway to control the car (but kicking out the cruise function) so the times the brakes come on will be the same. I can't see any functions in the user manual or scrolling through the MFD options...there is something in there that you can set it to "warn" you at 1, 3 or 5 kms over, but all that does is start the beeping when it's gone over...it doesn't start applying the brakes etc.
Cheers,
Tony
tonymaroney

Re: 2021 Hilux (GUN126R) SR seat and radar cruise control

Postby Cure on Wed, 13 Jan 2021 3:26 +0000

Hi Tony,

I would be interested if you or anyone find a workable solution to uncomfortable seat as I have the same problem.
Cure

Postby HorribleH on Thu, 14 Jan 2021 9:31 +0000

MSA 4x4 Accessories have a "Air Lumbar Support System" in the form of a seat cover in canvas and sheepskin with an air inflated bladder insert that can be adjusted.
I do not have any and have only looked at their website, so I cannot make any recommendations.
May be worth checking out.
HorribleH

Postby HK1837 on Thu, 14 Jan 2021 9:43 +0000

Recaro Ergomed driver seat. I bit the bullet and spent the $, got sick of the uncomfortable SR5 seat.

If you have the standard size tyres you’ll probably find your speedo is wrong anyway. If it says 110 you are probably actually doing 101 or so. All new cars in Australia have been like this for near to 15 years now.
HK1837

Postby Cure on Fri, 15 Jan 2021 10:30 +0000

In Victoria Recaro will not sell or install their seat. Apparently it needs an engineering certificate involving vehicle crash test.
I tried buying one last week and they literally will not sell me one. I then called few resellers as well and ended up with a same big NO DEAL.

:(
Cure

Postby Tony2 on Fri, 15 Jan 2021 2:17 +0000

HK1837 wrote:Recaro Ergomed driver seat. I bit the bullet and spent the $, got sick of the uncomfortable SR5 seat.

If you have the standard size tyres you’ll probably find your speedo is wrong anyway. If it says 110 you are probably actually doing 101 or so. All new cars in Australia have been like this for near to 15 years now.

Interesting you say this, I upgraded my tyres to 265/70/R17 muddies (original is 30.6inch, these are 31.6inch) soon after I bought my car and every time I go through a radar my speedo is bang on the exact speed displayed.

In regards to the seat (which I personally find very comfortable even on long trips), look into the seat covers with lumber support.
Tony2

Postby Kaka Do on Mon, 18 Jan 2021 1:02 +0000

Hi Tony,
Looks like they have this seating issue sorted over the ditch with the latest New Zealand Hilux Mako that is on offer.
The seats look a whole lot different to what we have offered from Toyota

[https://www.toyota.co.nz/new-car/hilux/hilux-mako]
Kaka Do

Postby specwarop on Mon, 18 Jan 2021 1:56 +0000

My biggest issue on long drives is my neck starts getting real stiff, no idea what causes that...
specwarop

Postby Bushwalker8 on Mon, 18 Jan 2021 3:39 +0000

specwarop wrote:My biggest issue on long drives is my neck starts getting real stiff, no idea what causes that...

Stop ogling at the eye candy
Bushwalker8

Postby gregi on Mon, 28 Jun 2021 5:15 +0000

HorribleH wrote:MSA 4x4 Accessories have a "Air Lumbar Support System" in the form of a seat cover in canvas and sheepskin with an air inflated bladder insert that can be adjusted.
I do not have any and have only looked at their website, so I cannot make any recommendations.
May be worth checking out.

I purchased this product and found that the air bag is very inflexible, and you notice it on long drives.
gregi

Postby tonymaroney on Sat, 20 Nov 2021 1:32 +0000

Ok, after much research and trial and error, I ended up settling on the following adjustable lumbar system:
https://adjust-europe.eu/gb/
I think maybe there are a few more now available, but when I was looking this seemed to be the best I could find. I've had it for about 6 months now and I can say that it has turned a hilux seat that was very uncomfortable for me into a comfortable place to be. I would now rate it as the most comfortable seat I use during the day (better than my half decent office chairs etc). So, if you are struggling with the hilux seat then just know that it CAN be improved dramatically with a good lumbar support system.
I found the simple memory cushion seats (base and back) were not good enough for me...the only ones that could make it comfortable were too thick, and this causes other issues with the position of seating (too high, hard to get in and out etc). Thinner ones might work ok for people with mild issues, but for severe cases you need to support the sides of your legs and your back, and then pump up a lumbar support to the precise pressure that pushes into the hollow of your back AND you need to be able to adjust the height of where that air cushion sits...The lumbar support height for me seems to be slightly different than for other people, so a cushion at a preset height doesn't seem to work well.
As for the other issue: The cruise control overshooting: I find this issue quite bad and I don't think anyone has solved it. My hilux can overshoot by a LOT (8-10kms over preset over the crest of a decent hill) and when it goes under it can be 5 kms under for a while until it catches up. I love my hilux, but the cruise control is atrociously inaccurate. Probably the worst I've seen in years. The Ford Escape I had would actively control the speed by applying the brakes, and that car would rarely go more than 2 kms over the speed limit regardless. I didn't replace brake pads any more than other cars either...in fact, in the Hilux I have to apply the brake anyway, so I'm not sure why they don't just tell the system to do it and make it super accurate. The Hilux has the capability to do this too, and it applies the brakes if there is a car in front doing the correct speed, so it literally is just a programmatic change (ok..that's a simplification) to make it all work, but I suspect that toyota are going for efficiency over speed control and thus, unless a car is ahead of you, they just do not apply the brakes and they will only change down the gears (and rev the hell out of the engine) in a feeble attempt to slow the car down.
Has anyone heard of people doing hacks to enable active braking during normal ACC? I think I'm hoping for too much on this one, but it would literally change this car to being perfect for me because it's my only gripe now. Which is impressive really....
Tony
tonymaroney

Postby Gipsy on Sun, 21 Nov 2021 8:06 +0000

I can't explain why but my 11 year old corolla and 8 year old Aurion both shift to a lower gear when going downhill under cruise control to slow the vehicle down but the Hilux doesn't. Surely Toyota could do better since Hilux is their biggest seller :shock: With all the latest technology surely Toyota could do this with the Hilux??
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby tonymaroney on Mon, 22 Nov 2021 7:21 +0000

Hi Gipsy,
My Hilux DOES change down gear to try and "engine brake" the car down hills, so it sounds like yours is different to mine.
The engine braking isn't great though (small engine capacity vs a heavy car) so it's quite ineffective, plus it holds onto it for ages so when you get to the bottom of the hill it drops way below the set speed before it changes to a higher gear and gets going again. The Cruise control is quite slow acting for that scenario as well as cresting the top of the hill...most other cars will starting easing the cruise control off way earlier than the hilux...it's like the system is checking the speed every 3 seconds and then making adjustments whereas ford and vw feel like that are checking it 10 times a second.
While I think the hilux should use engine braking as much as they can to limit the speed, when the speed breaks away from the preset number by more than 2 km per hour (which is does easily and all the time), then I think all cars should start to apply the brakes to limit that speed from going excessive. The Hilux does it if there is a vehicle ahead of you but if the road is clear it just lets that speed go crazy (up to 10 kms over is the worst I've seen) which really isn't acceptable in this day at all. Qld/Brisbane Australia is a police state and they love giving fines via hundreds and hundreds of speed cameras all over the city so it kind of makes the ACC unusable as it's too risky.
Tony
tonymaroney

Postby wombat81 on Mon, 22 Nov 2021 12:56 +0000

tonymaroney wrote:2) The new Multi function display (MFD) and camera system is quite clever...it detects speed signs and has radar cruise control etc. One weird thing it does is that when radar cruise control is on and it overshoots the speed by 3-5 km/hr it beeps at you or displays a warning etc. I know how to change that (eg turn the beeping off) but the odd thing it does is when it overshoots the speed it shows you the silly radar cruise control icon on the MFD (even if your "home" screen was displaying the digital speed) so just when you want to know what the speed is on the digital display, you can't actually see the digital speed display without hitting the "home" button to bring the digital speed back to the top layer unless you wait 3-5 seconds. You can still look at the dial speedo yes, but it's not as accurate and I much prefer to know the digital value. Does anyone know how to prevent the radar cruise control icon from overriding the digital speed display when an alarm comes on? I'm happy to never see the radar cruise icon (even when it has just detected the car in front) because it doesn't tell you anything anyway.
3) When the radar cruise control is on and it comes up on a car that is slowing down faster than the engine braking can slow my car, the hilux automatically applies the brakes....works very well. With my last car it used to apply the brakes for normal cruise control if it overshot it by about 3 km/hr (regardless of whether a car was in front or not), and that was brilliant because you could be assured at all times that you would never get a speeding fine. The Hilux, when cresting a hill and there is no car in front can overshoot the speed by well over 7-10 km/hr and I "think" it does apply some brake when it really gets out of control (>10km/hr over setpoint). Does anyone know if the setpoint for radar cruise control can be set to apply the brakes when it overshoots by xx km/hr (preferably 3km/hr overshoot)? Note: the last car didn't wear out the brakes due to this feature, and remember that I am now having to apply the brakes anyway to control the car (but kicking out the cruise function) so the times the brakes come on will be the same. I can't see any functions in the user manual or scrolling through the MFD options...there is something in there that you can set it to "warn" you at 1, 3 or 5 kms over, but all that does is start the beeping when it's gone over...it doesn't start applying the brakes etc.
Cheers,
Tony

I have a 2021 SR manual and it doesn't "overshoot" at all. It does change the display to the "car ahead" screen automatically sometimes. I assume it's because it thinks it's detected a vehicle ahead (even if it turns out not to be)? But there always the speedo gauge to look at if need be.
Current: 2021 SR Dual Cab Chassis 4x4 2.8TD Manual
Retired: 2010 SR Dual Cab Chassis 4x4 3.0TD Manual
My current (2021 model) build thread
My previous (2010 model) build thread
wombat81

Postby Gipsy on Mon, 22 Nov 2021 2:20 +0000

Tony Maroney, I stand corrected, my Hilux is 2013 but as you suggest the gen8 is different. ;)
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby tonymaroney on Mon, 06 Dec 2021 7:27 +0000

Hi Wombat81,
Hmmm. that is curious. So just to be clear...When on radar cruise control it does two things (and both of these are listed in the operator manual as normal operation):
1) If I come over a hill and it starts to overshoot BUT there is a car in front of me then it displays the radar symbol on the MFD and then actively applies the brakes to ensure the appropriate distance to kept behind the other car. If the other car is doing the correct speed then I will end up doing the correct speed.
2) If I come over a hill and there is open road ahead, it can overshoot by almost 8+km/hr. When it hits 3km/hr over it starts beeping at me (I have set it to warn me at 3km/hr over) and when it goes maybe 4-5km over it really starts cranking down the gears trying to slow the car down but I don't believe it ever applies the brakes. From what you are saying though....if it doesn't overshoot then it would either need to be applying a different algorithm at the crest of the hill (ie back off on the acceleration earlier) or it is applying the brake (which my operator manual says that it doesn't do unless there is a car ahead of you).
You car sounds like it is doing something different to mine but it is essentially the same car! Mine is a very late 2020 facelift SR.
tonymaroney

Postby wombat81 on Fri, 10 Dec 2021 3:18 +0000

Hey Tony. No I haven't seen dramatic overshoot like you're describing. I haven't really tested it in hilly terrain, though. But it certainly doesn't do it on flat road. Mine is a manual. Don't know if that makes a difference?
Current: 2021 SR Dual Cab Chassis 4x4 2.8TD Manual
Retired: 2010 SR Dual Cab Chassis 4x4 3.0TD Manual
My current (2021 model) build thread
My previous (2010 model) build thread
wombat81

Postby Martin.Batchelor on Mon, 02 May 2022 12:39 +0000

Hi TonyMaroney

Have taken delivery of a 2021 SR5 in January 2022 and agree with your three points in your post from Jan 21.

I went with leather seat option - seats are not very comfy but have some adjustment although no lumbar support.

Coming from a Grand Cherokee Overland from 2015 with great seats, these are very basic.

I let my local dealership know I wasn't too impressed with the cruise function and I've been contacted by Toyota in SA wanting to know details will let you know if anything comes of that.

Like you I think the cruise is an entry level job and loves to change down gears and rev like crazy but doesn't like to apply the brake especially going down a hill - very poor.

And yes it pops up the cruise distance info and takes away your digital speed - real handy - plus it constantly pops up that screen if the car in front slows or whatever.

And yes it is very inaccurate - will go way over and way under speed set - what's the point if it can't stick to the speed you set?

The other really annoying feature is the DPF regeneration notice that pops up and covers the speed info too. Why do we need to know that it is regenerating - just get on with it.

Then there is the sound system or lack of! Crikey - the head unit is okay but an amplifier and decent speakers shouldn't have to be an aftermarket fix surely?

Cheers Martin
Martin.Batchelor

Postby Martin.Batchelor on Wed, 04 May 2022 7:48 +0000

A fix for the cruise pop up display problem is to use ordinary mode of cruise control - turn on by holding the on button in for 2 seconds when turning cruise control on. You then have just the good old cruise control with no slowing for the car in front - means that you have to cancel and resume for slowbies but you get to see your digital speed all the time.
Martin.Batchelor

Postby lukeS on Wed, 08 Feb 2023 9:49 +0000

The lumbar support sucks. I have a crappy lower back and a new 2022 Hilux SR.

Been trying to ring around in VIC to get a Recaro Ergomed installed but coming up with a similar issue, no one will do it as you need an engineering certificate, and they recon engineers won't supply one unless it's been crash tested.

If anyone figures out how this can be done, that would be amazing.

I will try another couple of lumbar support things and keep pushing to get an engineering certificate through someone; otherwise, I might have to sell it and get something with a decent seat.

Ridiculous that you basically can't change the seat.
lukeS

Next

Return to General Discussion