Ute Canopy cargo net

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Ute Canopy cargo net

Postby nzhilux19 on Mon, 27 Jul 2020 5:05 +0000

Hey,

Long time follower, first time poster.

It’s great to see everyone’s ideas and tips they have on customising their utes

Iv been searching through and havnt come across a cargo net in the canopy inside the roof at the top.

Iv seen people on here do it in the cabs but wondering if anyone’s done it inside their canopy?

I’m thinking of fixing anchor points (loops) in the 4 corners, but not sure how to fix them on, anyone have any ideas? My canopy is the stylish aeroklas which is 2 layer canopy.

Also some how putting a divider in there to half the canopy so I can have the dogs in the back as well as the pram and other bags. That’ll keep me in the good books with the mrs to do more stuff the ute,

Look forward to your guys feedback,

Cheers.
nzhilux19

Re: Ute Canopy cargo net

Postby William_Foster on Mon, 27 Jul 2020 6:56 +0000

I have done this so that I can carrying fishing rods above the fridge etc. I used some pipe clamps to attach the net to the canopy cage. It works really well, but it doesn't like taking heavy items over corrugated roads mainly because it is difficult to get enough tension on the net because they generally all stretch; hence I stick to fishing rods up there.

In regards to a divider, I have made up some custom wooden cabinets that I ratchet strap on to the tie down points in the tray; this works really well and has survived some very harsh trips.
2013 Toyota Hilux SR5
4x4 Manual Diesel
William_Foster

Postby nzhilux19 on Tue, 28 Jul 2020 5:05 +0000

Awesome mate!

I’d love to see some pictures of it if that’s possible?
nzhilux19

Postby apSlain on Mon, 03 Aug 2020 11:44 +0000

Hey mate, I'm in the exact same boat but with an '05-'15 HiLux. I have an Aeroklas and am looking to do the same thing.

If it's the same design as mine, there are some plugs you should be able to remove on the interior roofing which I think are for the self-support racks (which brings the weight capacity up to 150kg). You'll be able to get a feel for the two skins from there. These plugs/holes are a little more centred so they don't offer great coverage of the roof but you might be able to make it work.

If you got the tracks installed on the rack as well, the installer likely drilled some new holes on the outer edge of the roof - those holes will be plugged and they'll look stock but they're actually drilled by the installer. My idea currently (not executed yet) is to piggy-back off the bolt that comes through the outer roof and into the captive nut with some threaded eyebolts. I'll take a picture tonight of the idea. You could probably do something else like...I dunno, a spreader bar that latches into those holes or something as well.

As long as you have a drill-stop, drilling into the interior canopy skin looks like a safe affair...just pull those stock plugs out and get a feel for the gap first.

As for the net, as William said, beware of droop and tension. I haven't trialled a fit but I am considering the BOAB Roof Net (already have it).
Check out Slain's Overlander, a perpetual work-in-progress.
apSlain

Postby William_Foster on Mon, 03 Aug 2020 12:52 +0000

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have attached some photos, one shows the pipe clamps I have used to connect the net to the canopy, and the second one shows the set-up. I have attached the cabinets using ratchet straps connected to the standard tie down points in the tray and mounted them front to back, but you could use the same principle and mount them left to right. I hope this helps.

2013 Toyota Hilux SR5
4x4 Manual Diesel
William_Foster

Return to General Discussion