Advice for surface rust under new hilux

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Advice for surface rust under new hilux

Postby Habalir on Thu, 23 Jul 2020 8:59 +0000

Just bought an 2014 dual cab SR5 with 120km which has been on the beach a few times. It has surface rust on the bash plate under the motor, the rear springs and diff. Any suggestions on what I should do without spending too much money? Thanks.
Habalir

Re: Advice for surface rust under new hilux

Postby Rogue on Fri, 24 Jul 2020 5:33 +0000

Get under it with one of those painters sanding sponges and a can of satin black paint.

If its been on the beach a few times, I'd be flushing out the chassis rails of sand etc.
Rogue

Postby dave g on Sat, 25 Jul 2020 4:33 +0000

Habalir wrote:Just bought an 2014 dual cab SR5 with 120km which has been on the beach a few times. It has surface rust on the bash plate under the motor, the rear springs and diff. Any suggestions on what I should do without spending too much money? Thanks.

Hi a lot of elbow grease to clean off the rust you can see sand and wire brush same rust converter and repaint.
And yes clean out the chassis rails when clean spray same rust inhibitor inside.

P.S. don't worry about grunf he is not happy being in lock down again :lol: :lol:
dave g

Postby Allords on Sun, 26 Jul 2020 1:01 +0000

after you've rubbed it back a little ad sprayed the spots with black paint, preferably one that has a rust inhibitor in it.

i'd also spray inside the cassis rails with something like inox.
its lanolin based , which will help further.
Allords

Postby Philos on Wed, 29 Jul 2020 1:00 +0000

Allords wrote:after you've rubbed it back a little ad sprayed the spots with black paint, preferably one that has a rust inhibitor in it.

i'd also spray inside the cassis rails with something like inox.
its lanolin based , which will help further.

I swear by Inox.

Going back to the OP and comments on how to fix the rust problem. Yes, I’d be spraying copious amounts of water underneath to get rid of all the salt and sand before I even started a job like this. And after scrapping/wire brushing and painting I’d then coat the whole area in Inox just to be sure. It’ll penetrate further in joints than paint alone.

All the best with the repair work Habalir
Philos

Postby Rogue on Thu, 30 Jul 2020 6:03 +0000

I prefer to use Penetrol rather than Inox, as it dries to a semi clear film rather than stay tacky and attract sand etc. Also its a penetrating oil so gets into every little gap.
Rogue

Return to General Discussion