Toyota Hilux 4x4 GD6 worst Hilux ever?

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Toyota Hilux 4x4 GD6 worst Hilux ever?

Postby Gryemal on Fri, 06 Dec 2019 5:53 +0000

I run a Safari business in Namibia and last year started to replace the old 4x4 2.5 D4D Hilux with the new 4x4 2.4 GD6 Hilux. We bought one last year May and in June started using it for our safaris and to hire it out to our self-drive clients. So basically, it's just over a year old.

I'm not sure why Toyota is saying the new Hilux is even tougher than the old one, this is absolute rubbish! The old 2005 Hilux was tough as nails and the little problems we experienced were few and far apart. The new one.......it's more in the workshop than anything else! In one year it was repaired 5 times, 4 times under warranty. At +- 16000km a CV joint had to be replaced, according to Toyota it wasn't a warranty job, so we had to fork out a couple of grand on a basically brand-new vehicle.
20 000km and the shocks were in a bad shape, but Toyota refused to replace them. At 30 000km it was so bad, they had no other choice but to replace them, but again no stock and a long wait.
40 000km, the shocks were giving up again, but Toyota says nothing is wrong. However, they have to replace the engine mountings and brake backing plates, another week in the workshop.
At 50 000km, the shocks have now given up completely and Toyota will now replace them again and they actually have some in stock!! At least only 2 days in the workshop!

I've now spoken to various companies here that have the new Hilux on their fleet and all of them say the same about it. Never ever the same as the old Hilux and all would wish they could get the old model again. We all new about the shock problem only weeks after the first Hilux came out here in Namibia. Nearly 2 years later Toyota has not changed the shock and just keeps on replacing them. Great if you have time, but our cars must be on the road to make an income and not stand in the workshop!
Engine mountings also seem to be a really big problem, dust that comes into the cabin, ABS and 4x4 problems due to wiring on the chassis not being protected and now I hear the dust filter is also an issue on the Diesel engines....great! In a country such as Namibia, there is a problem with the dust filter! This is not what one expected from the new "tougher" Hilux!

I'm a die hard Toyota Fan, I have the old 4x4 V6 Toyota Hilux with 148 000km on and no real problems, except an air sensor that gave up and needed to be replaced. I actually wanted to sell it and buy the new 4x4 Hilux V6 Dakar edition, but have changed my mind. Will keep the old one as it will give less problems in the years to come, that is guaranteed! Maybe by 2022 the new Hilux will have been sorted out, but for now, no thank you!

And just for info, we also bought a V6 Double Cab Land Cruiser the same time as we bought the Hilux. Has 54 000km on, no problems at all, runs beautifully and works much harder than the Hilux.
Gryemal

Re: Toyota Hilux 4x4 GD6 worst Hilux ever?

Postby jimO on Sat, 07 Dec 2019 12:34 +0000

either you got a lemon or whoever is driving it doesnt give a shit and is beating it to death, my new shape hilux is great and its not a show pony, it gets used for work carrying loads and towing trailers and i have had 9 of them so i should know
jimO

Postby Tony2 on Sat, 21 Dec 2019 11:31 +0000

Hi Gryemal, I don't know if we have this model in Australia, I think this might be an African region issue. Most of us on here drive the 2.8L diesel.
I know the CV joints are covered under warranty so you must have raised the car. This puts angled pressure on the drive line so unfortunately you will do more CV joints, that's just how it is when you do a modified lift.
The shocks is an interesting one, I am yet to here of shock absorber failure with a gen8 hilux, again this might be a region issue.
I'm over 40,000km (2017) and haven't had a problem yet, I'm tough on it, I use it for my bricklaying business and plenty of off roading. I think you may have bought a dud.
Tony2

Postby numberplate on Sun, 22 Dec 2019 4:39 +0000

dust getting past the air filter is a known issue here in Oz as well . try adding some rubber grease around the air filter seal when re fitting it.

ive not been to Namibia but maybe the roads you have are a lot more corrugated than ours , hence why you are having shockie issues ?
numberplate

Postby ggreenie on Sun, 22 Dec 2019 10:43 +0000

It’s worth pointing out that the chassis, driveline and suspension is largely unchanged from the N70. Whatever is going wrong with your new car isn’t likely the cars fault
ggreenie

Return to General Discussion