seeking advise on 2017 SR5 dual cab

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

seeking advise on 2017 SR5 dual cab

Postby hampid on Mon, 11 Nov 2019 12:09 +0000

Hello Members,
I am considering purchasing a second hand 2017 Dual cab Hilux auto diesel, has anyone had any issue with them that I should look out for prior to purchase.

Very interested in general advise on this specific vehicle.
Ant views would be appreciated

On this particular vehicle, milage 52,000 - full log book history with the following additions:

- TJM 2" Lift Kit (legal limit)
- TJM Deluxe Bull Bar
- TJM Underbody Protection
- Safari Snorkel by ARB
- 18" Ballistic Jester Rims + Spare
- BF Goodrich A/T K02 (285/60/18) + Spare
- 40" LED Light Bar
- 9" LED Spot Lights
- Genuine TRD Flares
- Genuine Hard Lid Cover (central locking)
- Genuine Tub Liner
- Genuine Weather Shields
- Genuine Bonnet Protector
- Genuine Tailgate Lock (supplied and installed by Toyota)
- Headlight and Tail Light & handle Covers (Matt black)
- 2 Draw System
- Tints
- Black badges (Matt black)
- Tow hitch
- Genuine rubber floor mats
hampid

Re: seeking advise on 2017 SR5 dual cab

Postby SurferSR5 on Mon, 11 Nov 2019 2:10 +0000

Have you had a read of the various issues / topic discussions on this forum?

For example:

viewtopic.php?f=129&t=29934

And of course the DPF 'issue'?
SurferSR5

Postby Tony2 on Fri, 27 Dec 2019 5:10 +0000

Drive the car and if theres nothing wrong with it there probably won't be in the near future.
Don't worry about the DPF issue, its just some cars have been dumping the stored carbon deposits at the wrong, inappropriate time. Mine started doing it at about 23k and was sorted out with a software update during a service. I'm on 47k now and it hasn't dumped at an inappropriate time since way back when I got the update.
Tony2

Postby grunf on Fri, 27 Dec 2019 7:20 +0000

Tony2 and how do you think your car knows when is appropriate time to “dump” (I dont actually know what you mean by this).?
Does it talk to you and asks you hey boss is it ok if I dump now? :D
18 SR auto, Bullbar, winch, Snorkel, Towbar, TowPro, Stedi LED’s, Dobinsons GVM upgrade, Steel tray, Aluminium Canopy, ARB on-board air compressor, Diff breathers, BFG MT KM3 265/70-R17, Uneek4x4 rocksliders, Frontier LR fuel tank etc
grunf

Postby dave g on Fri, 27 Dec 2019 7:44 +0000

By this time he has bought it or moved on.
Don't you love it when people don't follow up
dave g

Postby Tony2 on Sun, 05 Apr 2020 12:03 +0000

grunf wrote:Tony2 and how do you think your car knows when is appropriate time to “dump” (I dont actually know what you mean by this).?
Does it talk to you and asks you hey boss is it ok if I dump now? :D

Algorithm apparently. Because of the European emissions agreement nearly all car manufacturers have to store carbon deposits and then do a 'burn off' when you are cruising on the freeway.
I believe Toyota and BMW struggled the most with introducing these new DPF systems. Recent software updates however seemed to fix the problem, at least it was fixed on my car with the update.
30k without a smoky dump.
Tony2

Postby grunf on Sun, 05 Apr 2020 3:40 +0000

Tony2, there is a lot of discussion about it here: viewtopic.php?f=122&t=28654&start=200

Heaps of people actually started having issues AFTER the update.
I am one one of those. Tomorrow getting whole new DPF, 5th injector and new-redesigned 5th injector housing ... I described in the above link pain, lengths and difficulties I had to go through in order the just get Toyota to acknowledge there is an issue.

Nothing to do with any algorithm, or "dumping" mate. I suggest more reading in regards to DPF's.

PS
My car had 45k when issues started (after the software update). It took me another 17k and approx 10 months, number of complaints to prove the issue and had to go all the way to Toyota tech team in Japan to get any action.

Needless to say, during that time I become an OCD driver with a lot of knowledge in regards to DPF's in Hiluxes mate.
18 SR auto, Bullbar, winch, Snorkel, Towbar, TowPro, Stedi LED’s, Dobinsons GVM upgrade, Steel tray, Aluminium Canopy, ARB on-board air compressor, Diff breathers, BFG MT KM3 265/70-R17, Uneek4x4 rocksliders, Frontier LR fuel tank etc
grunf

Postby Tony2 on Sun, 12 Apr 2020 7:07 +0000

grunf wrote:Tony2, there is a lot of discussion about it here: viewtopic.php?f=122&t=28654&start=200

Heaps of people actually started having issues AFTER the update.
I am one one of those. Tomorrow getting whole new DPF, 5th injector and new-redesigned 5th injector housing ... I described in the above link pain, lengths and difficulties I had to go through in order the just get Toyota to acknowledge there is an issue.

Nothing to do with any algorithm, or "dumping" mate. I suggest more reading in regards to DPF's.

PS
My car had 45k when issues started (after the software update). It took me another 17k and approx 10 months, number of complaints to prove the issue and had to go all the way to Toyota tech team in Japan to get any action.

Needless to say, during that time I become an OCD driver with a lot of knowledge in regards to DPF's in Hiluxes mate.

Nice condescending reply from a self proclaimed expert. For the record here is the dictionary definition of a dpf: 'The DPF is essentially a trapping mechanism which captures soot as it travels through the car's exhaust system and stops it being released into the air. Like all filters the DPF needs to be cleaned on a regular basis, a process called regeneration.This is carried out by burning the soot off the filter at high temperatures, leaving a tiny residue of ash behind.'
So, exactly as I said mate.
Tony2

Postby Bushwalker8 on Sun, 12 Apr 2020 10:14 +0000

The issue is that the smoke that most people saw was only one external symptom of a more complex problem that could still exist for some.

The considerations include individual driving conditions, flow characteristics of some components that can be poor in some circumstances, and balancing of the burn temperatures and timing against component life.

The updates got rid of the smoke but some people are still experiencing the underlying problems that you can only see via additional instrumentation, or when tested by Toyota, or the DPF itself eventually fails.

So just because you don't see smoke anymore doesn't mean the injector and/or it's housing aren't clogging up, or depending on which update you got that the DPF could be now burning too hot and shortening it's life, or whatever.

Mine has been good over 70,000km so I don't have any complaints and most of the hullaballoo has died down so hat's off to Toyota for making considerable headway. But there is also no doubt from some of the data that's been collected, and the launching of this new stage of Toyota's own testing and rework programme that clearly demonstrates that some issues do persist for some owners.
Bushwalker8

Postby Tony2 on Mon, 13 Apr 2020 6:16 +0000

Thanks for the voice of reason Bushy.

My smoke appeared for the first time at 23k and was regular, maybe three times a week. I took it to Toyota, they plugged in and did a software update and I drove off. It hasn’t blown smoke since and that was 24k ago.
I’m expecting smoke to reappear some day.
I asked them to clean the 5th injector on my last service but they said they forgot. ‘Next time’ they said.
Tony2

Postby grunf on Mon, 13 Apr 2020 6:33 +0000

Tony2 Im sorry you feel that way. It was not my intention to be condescending in any way and I dont see where exactly was I condescending.

We were not discussing definition of DPF mate.

Its not about algorithm and dumping. There are sensors which tell car how full the DPF is, then once full, regeneration sequence starts during which the diesel gets injected in to DPF via 5th injector and all the accumulated soot burns (not simply dumped). Regeneration sequence will not start if the coolant temperature is below 71 degrees (thats why when the forced regeneration is performed engine revs up to 1900 initially, then settles to around 1200 and then to 950 until the regen is done)

If the injector gets clogged, or its housing (as it is the case with all old style design housing, just a matter of time otherwise Toyota would not go to the lenghts of making a new one) then not enough diesel is injected in to the DPF and regeneration is going to take much longer or not be completed. Which then leads to DPF not be able to reach its optimal burn temperature of around 650 to 720 (depending what stage the burn is in) which then leads to DPF cones getting clogged up and engine simply getting choked to death, as the flow through exhaust is minimal. Normal DPF pressure is around 32 whilst driving, during increased engine load or whilst regeneration is in progress it can go up to 34, if the DPF gets clogged this pressure will then go above 35 and higher, triggering a DPF warning light.

Thats bare basic, not factoring other scenarios like:
- towing
- driving in hills
- is the vehicle loaded
- driving with heavy foot
all of which then play in to how DPF regeneration is done because engine performance and its fuel delivery have more priority than DPF 5th injector and regeneration in progress, meaning lesser ammount or no fuel at all gets delivered to 5th injector during increased engine performance/load which then delays or hinders DPF regeneration.
Also position of DPF in engine bay plays large factor as well, due to airflow direction etc it can cool down DPF and make regeneration last longer. But unfortunately that can not change. For example due to all of the above, Toyotas DPF regenerate every 250 to 350 kms, whilst some other manufactures have DPF regeneration on average every 600 kms and it is done much quicker (Isuzu or Mitsubishi)...

Hope this helps.

Maybe we are talking about same thing, just saying it differently...

Have a good day.
grunf

Postby Tony2 on Mon, 13 Apr 2020 11:02 +0000

Looks like you’ve just done a whole lot of study from a website. Hat off though.
When I asked Toyota they told me the back pressure builds until it triggers a signal to do a burn off and release (dump). It does this by sending down fuel and heat for the burn, but according to Toyota it won’t Send them if the time is not right and that’s where the computer software comes in. Any simple sum can be called an algorithm, they just chose that term. They told me they try to set the car so that it does the burn while the car is driving a fast stretch.
That’s what Toyota told me and all I have to go on the software update was an instant fix for my car (and hasn’t done a smoke puff for two years).
They might have lied to me, I have no idea.
Tony2

Postby grunf on Mon, 13 Apr 2020 11:14 +0000

Tony2 wrote:Looks like you’ve just done a whole lot of study from a website.

None whatsoever mate.
Above is from my own personal monitoring of data through OBD (as shown on screenshots I posted in other topics here) and speaking to number of Toyota mechanics and also one Isuzu mechanic is a friend (hence my info in regards to Isuzu).
Last edited by grunf on Mon, 13 Apr 2020 1:58 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
grunf

Postby grunf on Mon, 13 Apr 2020 11:17 +0000

Tony2 wrote: They told me they try to set the car so that it does the burn while the car is driving a fast stretch.

If the above is correct, how do we explain then cars completing the burn in suburban driving 40 to 60km/h and doing it quit well now.
After the software update number of people actually have issues whilst driving fast and long on freeways.

It looks like Toyota has gone from one extreme to another ....
grunf

Return to General Discussion