Intercooler pipe blowing off

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Intercooler pipe blowing off

Postby teambullet on Thu, 10 Oct 2019 2:19 +0000

Gday all, heres day 2 footage of our truck at willowglen..
Question i have is the wifes Fortuner 2.8, same set up as the hilux, towing the caravan down to the comp on that hot friday just gone, up the hills she was pushing to try beat my 79 towing the hilux, but the intercooler hose clamp kept letting go, anyone else had this issue under load...
Denny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YWkQhq3Qtg&t=67s
teambullet

Re: Intercooler pipe blowing off

Postby allanj on Thu, 17 Oct 2019 2:59 +0000

Hi Denny,
Had the same issue on my 2015 SR5 2.8. The clamp didn't let go however the inter cooler hose blew off several times when powering up hill.
Took the hose off & carefully cleaned with warm soapy water at the clamping areas & did the same on the mounting areas. Secured the clamps & tightened & have not had a problem since.
I put it down to all the pollution crap that is put on to our truck diesel engines these days, where the oily mist from the crank case breather goes back into the turbo inlet & finds its way back into the inlet manifold via the hose that you are talking about. I have modified the crank case breather set up on my truck to prevent this happening. Hope this helps. Cheers.
allanj

Re: Intercooler pipe blowing off

Postby teambullet on Mon, 21 Oct 2019 11:06 +0000

Appreciate the response mate...
I hear you mate, did all that you made note of, plus going to put a heavier duty clamp on the hose in question....
Sometimes i wonder why???? Toyota do what they do....Gone are the good old days.....
D
teambullet

Return to General Discussion