Hilux sr5 2017 onwards buying tips?

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Hilux sr5 2017 onwards buying tips?

Postby Alex92 on Thu, 12 Sep 2019 1:18 +0000

Hi all,

New to the forum. I'm looking at getting a current model SR5 4x4, anything 2017 onwards and am wanting to know if theres anything to look out for?

Does the bluetooth work well?
GPS any good?
Service intervals?

I'm leaning towards an auto, as I'm a bit over driving a manual every day as I have done for years. Any advice on this?

I'm tossing up between a this or a PX2/3 ranger, but I've always ever had Toyotas so have a bit of a soft spot for the SR5. Plus i like to interior better.

Thanks!
Alex92

Re: Hilux sr5 2017 onwards buying tips?

Postby grunf on Thu, 12 Sep 2019 1:33 +0000

Just don't!

I will never buy another diesel vehicle until they fix DPF or EGR issues. Current Hilux model (one you want to buy) is plagued with DPF issues. Just google it, thousands of search results mate.
Lately, even the EPA joined the fray and are issuing innocent owners with tickets to fix smokey vehicles! Rather than chasing manufacturer who is making them and selling them in that condition -they are going after owners?!

See if there are any utes on the market that use AdBlue instead of having DPF or EGR.
AdBlue seems to be trouble free.
18 SR auto, Bullbar, winch, Snorkel, Towbar, TowPro, Stedi LED’s, Dobinsons GVM upgrade, Steel tray, Aluminium Canopy, ARB on-board air compressor, Diff breathers, BFG MT KM3 265/70-R17, Uneek4x4 rocksliders, Frontier LR fuel tank etc
grunf

Postby HK1837 on Thu, 12 Sep 2019 2:25 +0000

Buy a 2016 V6 and avoid troubles altogether! I agree with Grunf though, even if you wanted a diesel the hassles are too much of a lottery to risk it. Talk to a few auto shops about Ranger auto transmissions too before going down that path. I know it is tough to find the right vehicle, it is why I still have my 2011 V6. There is nothing really available to replace it with at a reasonable price.
HK1837

Postby Alex92 on Thu, 12 Sep 2019 3:55 +0000

In a nutshell, whats the issue with the DPF or EGR?

Im sort of heartbroken reading that. lol
Alex92

Postby Alex92 on Thu, 12 Sep 2019 3:58 +0000

Just had a quick google. Yikes.

Maybe time to start looking at manual rangers.
Alex92

Postby Phrancis on Thu, 12 Sep 2019 4:45 +0000

Buy A V8 Petrol RAM 1500 EXPRESS
4X4 QUAD CAB.
All the power and torque that this shitty SR5 doesn't have.
None of the DPF/EGR issues either.

If I hadn't fitted a custom tray for work, I'd be out of mine.
Phrancis

Postby Godzilla73 on Thu, 12 Sep 2019 5:23 +0000

Mines been great, can't fault it. Sat Nav in Melbourne and surrounding areas is great. Service intervals are 6 months $240, but once out of warranty I'll just get it serviced every 12 and do an oil and filter change myself in between.
Godzilla73

Postby mully man on Thu, 12 Sep 2019 5:34 +0000

Mine’s been great too- Oct 17 SR5 auto, 45,000km on the clock and hasnt missed a beat. No DPF issue’s so far (touch wood)....had a 2005 SR manual & a 2014 SR5 manual before this one and the new model is so much nicer to drive than the previous generation. It seems the DPF is a bit of a lottery as is the injector issues in the previous models- never had an issue with injectors either & the SR was still running on originals with 250,000km on the clock when i sold it. Good luck with whatever you choose....
mully man

Postby gjn on Thu, 12 Sep 2019 7:35 +0000

grunf wrote:See if there are any utes on the market that use AdBlue instead of having DPF or EGR.

AdBlue is not a replacement for the DPF, the Euro-6 level vehicles have both the DPF and AdBlue
gjn

Postby grunf on Thu, 12 Sep 2019 8:12 +0000

gjn wrote:
grunf wrote:See if there are any utes on the market that use AdBlue instead of having DPF or EGR.

AdBlue is not a replacement for the DPF, the Euro-6 level vehicles have both the DPF and AdBlue

Well there you go. Petrol only for me from now on then ....
18 SR auto, Bullbar, winch, Snorkel, Towbar, TowPro, Stedi LED’s, Dobinsons GVM upgrade, Steel tray, Aluminium Canopy, ARB on-board air compressor, Diff breathers, BFG MT KM3 265/70-R17, Uneek4x4 rocksliders, Frontier LR fuel tank etc
grunf

Postby Myralga on Thu, 12 Sep 2019 8:31 +0000

Here in Oz I don’t think we even get the option of AdBlue. Unless you import and then it’s a smaller motor I thought.

As for ute like a few have said. Yes there are issues out there. Personally I have had a 07 a 13 and now in a 17 all SR5 and all diesel and Manual.
My thoughts I love my lux far more then the 13 (it was a lemon) but the 7 was a Beast (it just wanted to run)
As for DPF I drive my ute like I stole it. Have all it’s life (45k on clock). Push it hard and the DPF has never given trouble. Yes I could be lucky but I know many who have no trouble.
As the old saying goes “the squeaky wheel gets the oil”

Be mindful there are problems in a lot of the new rigs in various forms. I work on these utes all the time every ute

Hilux has DPF and Air Box dramas electrics are still simple though which makes them a dream to work on.

Ranger/BT-50 trans are woeful and the electrics are a total and utter pain causing fault codes and ghost signals all over the place. Heaven forbid you want to work on it yourself tap into the wrong wires you throw faults or put it into limp mode.

NP300 really underpowered in my opinion. Auto trans leaves something to be desired considering it shares a drivetrain with merc I’m really surprised. Also electrics are fragile. Don’t test the wrong wire you can easily blow a can bus ECU. Suspension automatically needs to be upgraded if you want to put a bar on the front (that came directly from Nissan too) it’s horribly soft for dirt work.

D-Max is a simple ute electrics are simple and the vehicle is cheaper then a lot of other options and in my opinion great bang for your buck. Honestly if your on a budget I would go them any day of the week. And in the last year the top specs got some more leather etc making it a nicer daily driver.

Triton ...... Shudder ...... Now I am a bit biased here but these are just junk. They are clunky and fiddly and horrible to work on as everything you want to add is a fight. Bar install takes twice as long as a D-Max or a Lux. The electrics are relatively simple though. But like the NP300 I find them underpowered and gutless.

Amarok is another one which I really find overpriced to be honest. Fun fact: the warranties are all from the dealership NOT VW. Reason being like many products built and designed for Europe the manufacturer basically says in layman’s terms the Amarok is not designed for Australian conditions therefore they will not Warrant the vehicle in our county. (To bloody hot and dusty for them)
Like the ranger there electrics are easy to cause fault codes/lights in the system. But pulling too much or not enough power etc.
build quality is ok but they rattle to prices over real Aussie dirt roads.

Colorado is one I don’t play with too much. Simpler ute and I would not really put as my third favorite (lux, D-max, Col) electrics are simple enough usually. And they go all right. But still underpowered in my opinion once loaded.

So whatever way you go in the long run as long as you know what the problems can be and what to look out for you over time you will be fine for the most part.

I sound like I don’t like any ute lmao.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Postby Alex92 on Thu, 12 Sep 2019 9:34 +0000

Myralga wrote:Here in Oz I don’t think we even get the option of AdBlue. Unless you import and then it’s a smaller motor I thought.

As for ute like a few have said. Yes there are issues out there. Personally I have had a 07 a 13 and now in a 17 all SR5 and all diesel and Manual.
My thoughts I love my lux far more then the 13 (it was a lemon) but the 7 was a Beast (it just wanted to run)
As for DPF I drive my ute like I stole it. Have all it’s life (45k on clock). Push it hard and the DPF has never given trouble. Yes I could be lucky but I know many who have no trouble.

Be mindful there are problems in a lot of the new rigs in various forms. I work on these utes all the time every ute

Hilux has DPF and Air Box dramas electrics are still simple though which makes them a dream to work on.

Ranger/BT-50 trans are woeful and the electrics are a total and utter pain causing fault codes and ghost signals all over the place. Heaven forbid you want to work on it yourself tap into the wrong wires you throw faults or put it into limp mode.

NP300 really underpowered in my opinion. Auto trans leaves something to be desired considering it shares a drivetrain with merc I’m really surprised. Also electrics are fragile. Don’t test the wrong wire you can easily blow a can bus ECU. Suspension automatically needs to be upgraded if you want to put a bar on the front (that came directly from Nissan too) it’s horribly soft for dirt work.

D-Max is a simple ute electrics are simple and the vehicle is cheaper then a lot of other options and in my opinion great bang for your buck. Honestly if your on a budget I would go them any day of the week. And in the last year the top specs got some more leather etc making it a nicer daily driver.

Triton ...... Shudder ...... Now I am a bit biased here but these are just junk. They are clunky and fiddly and horrible to work on as everything you want to add is a fight. Bar install takes twice as long as a D-Max or a Lux. The electrics are relatively simple though. But like the NP300 I find them underpowered and gutless.

Amarok is another one which I really find overpriced to be honest. Fun fact: the warranties are all from the dealership NOT VW. Reason being like many products built and designed for Europe the manufacturer basically says in layman’s terms the Amarok is not designed for Australian conditions therefore they will not Warrant the vehicle in our county. (To bloody hot and dusty for them)
Like the ranger there electrics are easy to cause fault codes/lights in the system. But pulling too much or not enough power etc.

Colorado is one I don’t play with too much. Simpler ute and I would not really put as my third favorite (lux, D-max, Col) electrics are simple enough usually. And they go all right. But still underpowered in my opinion once loaded.

So whatever way you go in the long run as long as you know what the problems can be and what to look out for you over time you will be fine for the most part.

Realy good insight. Thanks.

I caught up with a mate for dinner tonight who has a 2019 prado 2.8 and we spoke about the DPF. He knows 4 others with the 2.8 who have had no issue in their hiluxes/one other prado, and one person who has had DPF issues in a Fortuner.

Seems as though it's a lottery. All the reading is also leading to me stick with a manual. Bit scared of the auto horror stories. Are the toyota autos reliable?
Alex92

Postby Myralga on Thu, 12 Sep 2019 10:21 +0000

As far as I know the toyota autos are not too bad. I don’t drive them personally as a daily.
Prado auto is nice and easy. I always find the Hilux auto seems to rev/work harder in my eyes. Put a snorkel on the lux and I find the auto makes a lot more noise at cruise speeds then the manual does.
When I say the 13 was a lemon it was my manual trans that was the problem between 20-40k on the clock the box came out twice for a complete overhaul as it made a real whining/roaring sound when it was cold heat up and it went away.
So on that note it comes down to the old lottery again.

Myralga

Postby RodA on Fri, 13 Sep 2019 6:04 +0000

Maybe the DPF issues are so random because each driver uses the vehicle differently, that is their driving patterns do not allow the DPF to burn off efficiently.
I have a 2019 SR5 which drives nicely and I have had no issues with the DPF, but then I drive it at freeway speeds 5 days a week for at least 40 minutes twice a day.
RodA

Postby hiluxxury on Fri, 13 Sep 2019 6:31 +0000

Alex92 wrote:
Myralga wrote:Here in Oz I don’t think we even get the option of AdBlue. Unless you import and then it’s a smaller motor I thought.

Realy good insight. Thanks.

I caught up with a mate for dinner tonight who has a 2019 prado 2.8 and we spoke about the DPF. He knows 4 others with the 2.8 who have had no issue in their hiluxes/one other prado, and one person who has had DPF issues in a Fortuner.

Seems as though it's a lottery. All the reading is also leading to me stick with a manual. Bit scared of the auto horror stories. Are the toyota autos reliable?

x2 for what Myralga wrote. The D-Max is the sensible choice if you are worried about the DPF issues. Mind you, I drive past my local Toyo stealership each day and I don't see lengthy queues of faulty DPF fitted vehicles waiting for repair. There are a few honest cases but it would be a few percent of vehicles sold.

The toyota autos are strong and like any modern box there are upgrades available to change shift patterns etc.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby jimO on Fri, 13 Sep 2019 11:36 +0000

my 2016 sr5 auto has been fine, 50ooo trouble free ks (apart from brake discs needing skimmed every 20ooo ks but i do carry a bit of weight in the back and live in a hilly city)
jimO

Postby Sartor on Fri, 13 Sep 2019 4:47 +0000

As an EU owner I can confirm that our AdBlue model do have a DPF fitted in - 2.4 motor.
Sartor

Postby grunf on Mon, 16 Sep 2019 2:16 +0000

Would it be possible to swap diesel engine with the V6 petrol engine?
Just a thought ...
grunf

Postby jimO on Mon, 16 Sep 2019 3:45 +0000

grunf wrote:Would it be possible to swap diesel engine with the V6 petrol engine?
Just a thought ...

be cheaper to buy a v6
jimO

Postby grunf on Mon, 16 Sep 2019 4:19 +0000

Not really when you have close to 30k in custom work and accessories
grunf

Next

Return to General Discussion