General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Re: Hilux sr5 2017 onwards buying tips?

Postby HK1837 on Mon, 16 Sep 2019 6:06 +0000

Buy one and swap all the stuff over.
HK1837

Postby grunf on Mon, 16 Sep 2019 7:32 +0000

I get that mate.

But my question was can it be done? Swap diesel engine for the petrol one and what else needs to be swapped?
18 SR auto, Bullbar, winch, Snorkel, Towbar, TowPro, Stedi LED’s, Dobinsons GVM upgrade, Steel tray, Aluminium Canopy, ARB on-board air compressor, Diff breathers, BFG MT KM3 265/70-R17, Uneek4x4 rocksliders, Frontier LR fuel tank etc
grunf

Postby HK1837 on Mon, 16 Sep 2019 7:52 +0000

I’m sure it could be done but I bet you’d need a whole car to get everything that differs, and finding a wreck of the correct spec/model that isn’t damaged too badly won’t be easy. Then you’d be left with a Diesel engine, box and differentials plus the remainder of the wreck. Whereas buying a whole car you can sell the diesel vehicle once your stuff is off it and onto the V6 one.
HK1837

Postby Myralga on Mon, 16 Sep 2019 8:56 +0000

Don’t know if they still exist. But I read an article once of a company in the states doing the opposite to the FJ Cruiser.

Basically they would buy half front wreck Hilux/prados etc pull everything out that operates the 3.0 diesel and install it into the FJ cruiser (as it was only ever made as a petrol)

Long story short you can do anything with enough time patience and of course $$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Postby Viverette on Thu, 19 Sep 2019 7:36 +0000

Something like that sounds cool as heck. Too much dinero though, right?
Viverette

Postby Poim on Mon, 23 Sep 2019 6:57 +0000

In Sweden we got DPF and EGR since 2005 , and it's works Good. But if you Only drive ' to work 10 minutes and Home again ' then it gonna be clogged again. So take it on a long drive once a week and it Will work fine. The adblue is crap, when the temperatur goes down to -35c then it's freeze and you have to go to the workshop, but in summertime it's work perfect. I'm gonna keep on driving my -15 hilux to the end so i don't need the adblue crap
Poim

Postby grunf on Mon, 23 Sep 2019 9:54 +0000

I bought an efing car and not a dog.
I need the bloody thing to start, drive and stop every time I want it to. Without having to take it for a long drive once a week.
Its not a efing dog, its a car!
18 SR auto, Bullbar, winch, Snorkel, Towbar, TowPro, Stedi LED’s, Dobinsons GVM upgrade, Steel tray, Aluminium Canopy, ARB on-board air compressor, Diff breathers, BFG MT KM3 265/70-R17, Uneek4x4 rocksliders, Frontier LR fuel tank etc
grunf

Postby destorman on Fri, 25 Oct 2019 8:09 +0000

Myralga wrote:Here in Oz I don’t think we even get the option of AdBlue. Unless you import and then it’s a smaller motor I thought.

As for ute like a few have said. Yes there are issues out there. Personally I have had a 07 a 13 and now in a 17 all SR5 and all diesel and Manual.
My thoughts I love my lux far more then the 13 (it was a lemon) but the 7 was a Beast (it just wanted to run)
As for DPF I drive my ute like I stole it. Have all it’s life (45k on clock). Push it hard and the DPF has never given trouble. Yes I could be lucky but I know many who have no trouble.
As the old saying goes “the squeaky wheel gets the oil”

Be mindful there are problems in a lot of the new rigs in various forms. I work on these utes all the time every ute

Hilux has DPF and Air Box dramas electrics are still simple though which makes them a dream to work on.

Ranger/BT-50 trans are woeful and the electrics are a total and utter pain causing fault codes and ghost signals all over the place. Heaven forbid you want to work on it yourself tap into the wrong wires you throw faults or put it into limp mode.

NP300 really underpowered in my opinion. Auto trans leaves something to be desired considering it shares a drivetrain with merc I’m really surprised. Also electrics are fragile. Don’t test the wrong wire you can easily blow a can bus ECU. Suspension automatically needs to be upgraded if you want to put a bar on the front (that came directly from Nissan too) it’s horribly soft for dirt work.

D-Max is a simple ute electrics are simple and the vehicle is cheaper then a lot of other options and in my opinion great bang for your buck. Honestly if your on a budget I would go them any day of the week. And in the last year the top specs got some more leather etc making it a nicer daily driver.

Triton ...... Shudder ...... Now I am a bit biased here but these are just junk. They are clunky and fiddly and horrible to work on as everything you want to add is a fight. Bar install takes twice as long as a D-Max or a Lux. The electrics are relatively simple though. But like the NP300 I find them underpowered and gutless.

Amarok is another one which I really find overpriced to be honest. Fun fact: the warranties are all from the dealership NOT VW. Reason being like many products built and designed for Europe the manufacturer basically says in layman’s terms the Amarok is not designed for Australian conditions therefore they will not Warrant the vehicle in our county. (To bloody hot and dusty for them)
Like the ranger there electrics are easy to cause fault codes/lights in the system. But pulling too much or not enough power etc.
build quality is ok but they rattle to prices over real Aussie dirt roads.

Colorado is one I don’t play with too much. Simpler ute and I would not really put as my third favorite (lux, D-max, Col) electrics are simple enough usually. And they go all right. But still underpowered in my opinion once loaded.

So whatever way you go in the long run as long as you know what the problems can be and what to look out for you over time you will be fine for the most part.

I sound like I don’t like any ute lmao.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks fior all that info mate.

As another in the market for a 4x4 dual cab ute, that's helpful.

Only thing I'd add from my research so far, is the Bluetooth in the dmax seems be a a PITA. Need to factor in an upgrade or other solution is using to make calls frequently (which I do).

Dmax and BT50 have new models out next year too (same base, it's a JV) so might be some good run out model deals on both soon which can help when shopping other brands too.
destorman

Previous

Return to General Discussion