Audio Upgrades

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Audio Upgrades

Postby Astreix on Sun, 18 Aug 2019 8:59 +0000

Hey all, I've lurked for a while, just joined. Some amazing build threads in here.

Just picked up my '19 SR5 on Friday. Loving it so far, already needs a wash, covered in mud :lol:

The headunit, and speakers need to go. I've been looking for weeks at headunits but not happy with anything I've found so far. The speakers are also awful and not something I'd budgeted to replace straight away but I will be.

Initially I was sold on the setups from Carbon Car Systems. But the more I look at that Kenwood HU, the more I dislike the UI. It is horrendous. They have also recently released a large android tablet-style HU, much like many others. Again, the UI is as ugly as sin, and I can't stand android at the best of times. The CarPlay setup is a bit janky, and cable-only. I do like the idea of a nice 10" screen though!

Just wondering if anyone has similar setups to what I have in mind? Ideally, I just want - Wireless CarPlay. Nice UI. Actual volume dial. Programmable SWC, factory reverse camera. Option for extra front camera would be awesome.

Looking at replacing the speakers with the Focal 165TOY series, dynamat all doors and behind rear seats. I was going to make a fibreglass sub box for behind the back seat, but now leaning towards one or two active slim subs. I haven't owned or heard one of these, so I'd love to hear opinions from those who have them.

Cheers guys. Tony
Astreix

Re: Audio Upgrades

Postby abashii on Mon, 19 Aug 2019 6:08 +0000

I can't speak to most of what you're asking, but did get a slimline sub and amp for behind the rear set. It cranks far harder than I would have expected for something so small, it definitely goes louder than I want or need. I had it put in nearly 3 years ago so I don't remember the brand or model unfortunately.
abashii

Postby jabiru18 on Mon, 19 Aug 2019 11:30 +0000

I installed the DDX918WS and focal speakers, I love it. The GUI is fine to me.

As you say you need to plugin for car play but I dont find that a deal breaker. Mine is in the groove next to steering wheel. You can buy USB blanks and just wire it to those also.
jabiru18

Postby Astreix on Mon, 19 Aug 2019 7:58 +0000

abashii wrote:I can't speak to most of what you're asking, but did get a slimline sub and amp for behind the rear set. It cranks far harder than I would have expected for something so small, it definitely goes louder than I want or need. I had it put in nearly 3 years ago so I don't remember the brand or model unfortunately.

Nice one, cheers. Ah no worries at all, is yours an active sub, or a box and seperate amp? Interested to know what off-the-shelf boxes fit. There's a shop in Cairns selling a tidy N80 custom box, but charging almost $500 for it. At the moment I'm thinking I'll grab an underseat active sub, for the back wall.
Astreix

Postby Astreix on Mon, 19 Aug 2019 8:03 +0000

jabiru18 wrote:I installed the DDX918WS and focal speakers, I love it. The GUI is fine to me.

As you say you need to plugin for car play but I dont find that a deal breaker. Mine is in the groove next to steering wheel. You can buy USB blanks and just wire it to those also.

Cheers for the feedback. To be honest, wireless/wired isn't really a dealbreaker. I just like to have new tech! Wired would actually make more sense really, as it'll be charging while being used. With those focals, did the tweeters fit straight into the little factory door pods? I think the speakers will be definitely be my first buy, while I wait to decide on a headunit.

--------

With another off road trial run today, I really want to grab a unit with an actual volume knob! Haha.
Astreix

Postby TOYZX on Tue, 20 Aug 2019 4:59 +0000

Im yet to find an active sub that performs. You simply can't beat a correctly made enclosure and a quality sub! Even a sub in a poorly designed box will do better! First time I fired mine up my rearview mirror came off the windscreen lol.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby MCQ4x2 on Tue, 20 Aug 2019 3:09 +0000

Got the Kenwood 919WS installed about a month ago and leaves the factory unit for dead - fit perfect (incl wheel controls which are completely configurable). You can wave your hand at it and it responds how you want it to - all configurable also. Hard to beat for the $$$.... and seems to be a favorite here...
MCQ4x2

Postby abashii on Tue, 20 Aug 2019 4:38 +0000

Astreix wrote:Nice one, cheers. Ah no worries at all, is yours an active sub, or a box and seperate amp? Interested to know what off-the-shelf boxes fit. There's a shop in Cairns selling a tidy N80 custom box, but charging almost $500 for it. At the moment I'm thinking I'll grab an underseat active sub, for the back wall.

It's a slim box with a separate amp. Just went out to the car and checked my receipts, it's a soundstream 13 inch slim subwoofer https://www.smartautotech.com.au/produc ... hin-w-box/ and a 500W alpine amp.

If I turn it up to half way or so the rear view mirror vibrates hard enough I can't really see in it, any more than that and the old fillings start to come loose as well. Probably could have gone with something a bit smaller in hindsight, unless you're fresh out of a lowered wrx and dosed to the nines with disco bikkies something like that should cover your needs.
abashii

Postby Astreix on Wed, 21 Aug 2019 1:27 +0000

Cheers for the feedback fellas. Glad to know at least some off the shelf boxes fit. Cheers for taking the time to have a look at your receipts for me. I’m keen to measure up the space but had enough of a fight trying to remove the rear seats yesterday just to install my seat covers. Ran out of daylight and gave up! Not an easy task for what should be available storage space. I’ve got basic dimensions from that custom box, over all 600x400, with the base 140 deep and the top 100.

That gesture control could be a solution to no volume knob. I’ve seen a quick demo on one of old mates videos. Glad to know it works well!

For the meantime, I’ve ordered 40sq ft of sound deadening, and waiting to see if my offer on a set of focals will be accepted. Looking forward to the upgrade already!
Astreix

Postby jabiru18 on Wed, 21 Aug 2019 5:59 +0000

Mate I didn’t have tweeters but they have that kit on their site,they are plug and play and well worth it.

The box the focals come in was heavier than the stock speakers I took out :D
jabiru18

Return to General Discussion