Toyota faces class action

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Re: Toyota faces class action

Postby dave g on Wed, 20 Jul 2022 4:07 +0000

Check it is not a scam don't give up any information to you check it out first.
dave g

Postby gjn on Wed, 20 Jul 2022 8:54 +0000

dave g wrote:Check it is not a scam don't give up any information to you check it out first.

I considered that aspect as soon as I received the SMS. But the URL it has is the legitimate URL of the DPF case lawyers so it appears to be legit.

Interestingly, if you do go direct to the lawyers registration page (ie not through the SMS) the amount of information you need to provide to register for compensation is concerning, full personal identification including photo id and signature, copies of the registration details of your vehicle, proof of purchase documents, bank account numbers etc. You'd hate to think of all that information getting out into the open through a hack...
gjn

Postby bugeye on Fri, 22 Jul 2022 9:27 +0000

It's pretty full on, I really took my time confirming these are legit links, websites, case numbers etc etc.
bugeye

Postby Rob_Wood on Sat, 23 Jul 2022 9:07 +0000

gjn wrote:
dave g wrote:Check it is not a scam don't give up any information to you check it out first.

I considered that aspect as soon as I received the SMS. But the URL it has is the legitimate URL of the DPF case lawyers so it appears to be legit.

Interestingly, if you do go direct to the lawyers registration page (ie not through the SMS) the amount of information you need to provide to register for compensation is concerning, full personal identification including photo id and signature, copies of the registration details of your vehicle, proof of purchase documents, bank account numbers etc. You'd hate to think of all that information getting out into the open through a hack...

The link might "Look" legit', but even one decimal point out of place and it's a scam. The other thing to remember is that the link you "see" and the link that actually does the work can be two different things. I'd suggest independently confirm the contact details of the other mob and then call them on the phone to ask "Is this message from you guys?". This way you can make direct contact yourself, get to talk to an actual person and get that persons specific contact details and proceed from there.
Rob_Wood

Postby gjn on Sat, 23 Jul 2022 2:17 +0000

Rob_Wood wrote:
gjn wrote:

The link might "Look" legit', but even one decimal point out of place and it's a scam. The other thing to remember is that the link you "see" and the link that actually does the work can be two different things. I'd suggest independently confirm the contact details of the other mob and then call them on the phone to ask "Is this message from you guys?". This way you can make direct contact yourself, get to talk to an actual person and get that persons specific contact details and proceed from there.

Yep, I'm aware of the problems with spoof URLs (47 years in IT before I retired) so I've been to the relevant site directly rather than via a SMS or email link - my primary concern is the amount of identifying information you need to provide them well ahead of any funds being paid out (if that ever happens).
gjn

Postby Rob_Wood on Sat, 23 Jul 2022 7:14 +0000

gjn wrote:Yep, I'm aware of the problems with spoof URLs (47 years in IT before I retired) so I've been to the relevant site directly rather than via a SMS or email link - my primary concern is the amount of identifying information you need to provide them well ahead of any funds being paid out (if that ever happens).

If it's genuine lawyers, then they should only need name address, vehicle rego and purchase date. Maybe a few other ancillary questions, but that is the main stuff before they talk to you. But I wouldn't wanna give them too much (even if it is genuine lawyers) before you actually speak with them. Just my thoughts, but then maybe I've had a different experience with lawyers over the years, I'm sure some of them are OK. :) :) :)
Rob_Wood

Postby specwarop on Thu, 04 Aug 2022 5:07 +0000

Had the service today and they confirmed I have the old injector housing.
They said they cannot change anything until I face any issues, as the the date of my build is later on theyd have to raise a case with Toyota apparantly.
specwarop

Postby Silverfox1111 on Wed, 29 Mar 2023 4:24 +0000

In the paper today, Toyota's payout per vehicle has been reduced from 18% to 10%. Looks like the case is still moving, just slowly.
Silverfox
Silverfox1111

Previous

Return to General Discussion